Are the Japanese Dragon Boxes Worth It?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TLM Reviews

Are the Japanese Dragon Boxes Worth It?

Post by TLM Reviews » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:49 pm

Just as the title states, I want to get the JAP dragon boxes, but I'm not sure if they are really worth the import and spending that much money. I have the FUNI Dragon Boxes, so should I just stay with those?? Let me know?

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: Are the Japanese Dragon Boxes Worth It?

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:53 pm

It depends on whether you need subtitles and aren't willing to use unofficial means to get the subtitles to the japanese dragon boxes. If you fit that category, then the japanese boxes aren't worth it. If however, you are either able to understand japanese or willing to use something like thejeremymenace's Dragon Radar to convert the Funi Dragon Box subs to a format accepted by the japanese dragon boxes, then by all means! The japanese dragon boxes have less compression artifacts and a japanese audio track with higher bitrate.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

TLM Reviews

Post by TLM Reviews » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:56 pm

Danfun64 wrote:It depends on whether you need subtitles and aren't willing to use unofficial means to get the subtitles to the japanese dragon boxes. If you fit that category, then the japanese boxes aren't worth it. If however, you are either able to understand japanese or willing to use something like thejeremymenace's Dragon Radar to convert the Funi Dragon Box subs to a format accepted by the japanese dragon boxes, then by all means! The japanese dragon boxes have less compression artifacts and a japanese audio track with higher bitrate.

Okay well don't understand Japanese and don't know how to transfer subtitles from the FUNI Dragon Boxes over to the JAP ones, so I guess it wouldn't really be worth it.
If you had the money to purchase them, would you?

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:04 pm

TLM Reviews wrote: Okay well don't understand Japanese and don't know how to transfer subtitles from the FUNI Dragon Boxes over to the JAP ones, so I guess it wouldn't really be worth it.
If you had the money to purchase them, would you?
Oh yeah, definitely. I don't even have enough for the U.S ones but it'd be totally worth it for me. Also, transferring over subtitles shouldn't be that hard from what I hear. I've seen a pretty darn good example of it on Youtube from the Dragon Box: The Movies Box Set and they look awesome to me.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:06 pm

Keep an eye out on this. Hopefully it will be completed by the time you grab all the Japanese boxes ;)

I don't have *any* dragon ball stuff atm, sadly. Just to begin my collection would take a while...
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:46 pm

I have two of the Japanese boxes and I love them to death. However, I typically keep my manga nearby when watching an episode just in-case. If you can get a good deal, by all means do it.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:58 am

I just have the subtitles in Word documents and read ahead while watching the Dragon Boxes so I can mainly focus on what's on the TV. To me... till not worth it. There's no scenario in which I say "Hey, I gotta watch the Dragon Boxes" unless I'm telling myself "Hey, you paid a stupid price for them, now watch the damn things!" But hey, they're a collector's dream. I knew that until I had them, I would never feel good about my collection. Now that I have them, it's "meh."

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:14 am

If you have the Funi Dragon Boxes, as far as I know there is no reason to "upgrade" to the original Japanese ones, unless you want the extras included seperate from the DVDs, which proabably wouldn't be included with a lot of second-hand items anyway.
(I'm referring to the Z boxes, by the way. The DB and GT boxes are definitely worth it if you can find them for a good price.)

TLM Reviews

Post by TLM Reviews » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:44 pm

TheQuazz wrote:If you have the Funi Dragon Boxes, as far as I know there is no reason to "upgrade" to the original Japanese ones, unless you want the extras included seperate from the DVDs, which proabably wouldn't be included with a lot of second-hand items anyway.
(I'm referring to the Z boxes, by the way. The DB and GT boxes are definitely worth it if you can find them for a good price.)
SO your just saying that the Z boxes aren't really worth if I have the FUNI Dragon Boxes already? And I should just get the GT and the Original DB on the Dragon Boxes if I find a good deal? Also what would be a good price to pay for them? How much would you pay?