This joke has become a franchise now

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

This joke has become a franchise now

Post by Cipher » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:05 pm

Isn't that kind of incredible?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: This joke has become a franchise now

Post by Kanassa » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:08 pm

Not really. Things like Pokemon became a franchise. Things like Twilight got movies. Life is weird.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:16 pm

Mr. Cipher, you are one clever... Giru, I guess. Nice one with the thread name.

Anyway, incredible things happen all the time. Like Dragon Ball Super Episode 56.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:20 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:Mr. Cipher, you are one clever... Giru, I guess. Nice one with the thread name.
Meh, I offer a sarcastic clap. It's a usual fourm tactic.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:28 pm

This thread was intended to be one-third satire, one-third genuine appreciation of the fact that a single author's amazingly well-crafted, light-hearted joke manga can become an international phenomenon lasting more than thirty years, and one-third a reminder, as we all argue about the franchise's greater presentation or the story's internal logic (which, to an extent, is fair), of the kind of good-natured fluff Dragon Ball -- along with most of Toriyama's work -- has always been.
Last edited by Cipher on Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:24 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:28 pm

I just wanted to pop in and say I enjoyed this thread parody more than the original. You are like the Weird Al of forum posts. Good bit!

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:29 pm

I feel things shouldn't be taken so seriously. If I don't like a sequel to a show, oh well. I mean, I'll talk about my gripes with it but not have some freakout like EVERYTHING IS RUINED DRAGONBALL IS A JOKE!!!1!!

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:04 pm

Who would have thought that a gag manga would become a phenomenal international hit, life is amazing and weird in unexpected ways :)
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:07 pm

Cipher wrote:This thread was intended to be one-third satire, one-third genuine appreciation of the fact that a single author's amazingly well-crafted, light-hearted joke manga can become an international phenomenon lasting more than thirty years, and one-third a reminder, as we all argue about the franchise's greater presentation or the story's internal logic (which, to an extent, is fair), of the kind of good-natured fluff Dragon Ball -- along with all of Toriyama's work -- has always been.
To be fair, the joke manga never became the success that shonen manga was. If Dragonball had stayed a joke manga you probably would be hearing about it decades later.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:13 pm

TheMikado wrote:To be fair, the joke manga never became the success that shonen manga was. If Dragonball had stayed a joke manga you probably would be hearing about it decades later.
Yes, it'd definitely be reductive to say it doesn't take itself more seriously as it goes on, and even more reductive to ignore that its greater marketing latched onto this for a good while, even in Japan, and continues to do so more or less to this day. There's a particular pleasure, too, in seeing the characters age realistically and the situations grow more dire, and being able to become relatively invested in them beyond the bird's-eye view granted to the reader in a pure comedy series.

That said, I think it's best read and watched never forgetting that this is the same artist who had just finished Dr. Slump,* both for the ways it aligns with and subverts the expectations that may bring.

*And it's equally reductive to say Dr. Slump is purely a comedy series, when many of the imaginative adventure elements and constantly increasing scales for cast and scope that come to bear on Dragon Ball are very much present.
Last edited by Cipher on Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:24 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:16 pm

This feels like the most appropriate possible response to the other thread.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:28 pm

I think that says more about the writer than its original concept about its popularity and staying power.

The other topic was basically expressing that the series is no longer solid and serious contender in the shonen market. This topic seems to imply that we should be amazed that a joke manga has this type of longevity. The thing is Dragonball the joke series failed to launch in the US twice. While the shonen aspect took off. The vast majority of Dragonbsll fans knew the series first as a semi serious shonen, so I can see their concern when some of that is stripped away. It's the same issue Z fans took with the first arc of GT. I can't blame people for wanting more of what they were exposed to. The two manga don't even share the and themes just characters and plot devices.

I certainly understand the origins but we don't belittle people who complain about airbags in cars by comparing them to horse drawn carriages.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:34 pm

TheMikado wrote:The other topic was basically expressing that the series is no longer solid and serious contender in the shonen market. This topic seems to imply that we should be amazed that a joke manga has this type of longevity.
In spite of my posts above, that's giving this thread more credit than it's worth, when it was really meant to be a pot shot and a silly Toriyama love-in. There's room for serious critique, and I've been critical of Super myself. Still, everything within reason.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:37 pm

Cipher wrote:
TheMikado wrote:The other topic was basically expressing that the series is no longer solid and serious contender in the shonen market. This topic seems to imply that we should be amazed that a joke manga has this type of longevity.
In spite of my posts above, that's giving this thread more credit than it's worth, when it was really meant to be a pot shot and a silly Toriyama love-in. There's room for serious critique, and I've been critical of Super myself. Still, everything within reason.
Apologies on messing up the fun, pot shot and love away!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:47 pm

Greatness from small beginnings.

The same thing happened with comics, Batman and Superman for example started out as small kids entertainment but now they're multi billion dollar franchises.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:55 pm

Damn, that title's good. (In context. If someone finds this thread years later, it won't make any sense.)

I still can't fathom that Akira Toriyama literally created a sub-genre almost by accident.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:08 pm

MozillaVulpix wrote:I still can't fathom that Akira Toriyama literally created a sub-genre almost by accident.
To be more fair, all he really did was put his anything-goes spin on a series of existing wuxia and fighting-manga tropes (cue up kunzait_83's massive wuxia topic). As far as I know, his editor had requested or suggested that he do a martial arts manga -- something he'd been flirting with in various forms for a while.

He did massively influence the broader field of shonen fighting manga, though. And Dragon Ball's specific ways of interpreting old tropes have become tropes themselves.

I think it's more incredible he managed to come to such a specific visual style for fast-paced, super-human fights -- especially incorporating somewhat realistic martial arts -- considering he had little to no experience doing fighting manga before. (I'm not talking about the general use of blasts, auras, nearly invisible movement, etc., all of which Dragon Ball borrows -- but his specific visual mix of those elements in a manner that led to a recognizably fast-paced Dragon Ball fighting style, to be oft-borrowed and parodied.) And he did this while writing a largely tongue-in-cheek series week to week.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:38 pm

Cipher wrote:I think it's more incredible he managed to come to such a specific visual style for fast-paced, super-human fights -- especially incorporating somewhat realistic martial arts -- considering he had little to no experience doing fighting manga before. (I'm not talking about the general use of blasts, auras, nearly invisible movement, etc., all of which Dragon Ball borrows -- but his specific visual mix of those elements in a manner that led to a recognizably fast-paced Dragon Ball fighting style, to be oft-borrowed and parodied.) And he did this while writing a largely tongue-in-cheek series week to week.
I don't know who said it; I think it might have been from one of the interviews on this site, but someone said what made DB so unique was that it was an action series written by someone who didn't know how to write action. So he just literally made up his own style on the spot. And it worked.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Clayton

Post by Clayton » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:44 pm

Zephyr wrote:This feels like the most appropriate possible response to the other thread.
no, it doesn't. it makes you look like a sanctimonious asshole. not sure what the intention of this thread was (although it makes you wonder), but it certainly doesn't make you look any better. shame on you.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:51 pm

Clayton wrote:no, it doesn't. it makes you look like a sanctimonious asshole. not sure what the intention of this thread was (although it makes you wonder), but it certainly doesn't make you look any better. shame on you.