What's the most "bootleg/rip-off" Dragon Ball merchandise you've ever seen?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

What's the most "bootleg/rip-off" Dragon Ball merchandise you've ever seen?

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:54 am

I ask this question because I remembered seeing a bizarre product that I could tell was not officially made.

This must have happened when I was still in high school. I was at a dollar store and browsing through the candy section. What caught my eye was some kind of stickypop that was encased in some kind of plastic, rectangular container with a picture of Super Saiyan Goku! It looked cheaply made and I did not see any logo from either Toei or FUNimation. It was so funny seeing such a recognizable character in an unmarked piece of candy. You'd think that they would try to market them as "SUPER SAIYAN SUCKERS!!!" or something like that.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What's the most "bootleg/rip-off" Dragon Ball merchandise you've ever seen?

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:17 am

This old thread has lots of goodies. :mrgreen:

Like this Nutcracker Trunks fusion:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:56 am

Did anyone say bootleg DB merchandise?
It's a CD, in case you were wondering.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:52 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:Did anyone say bootleg DB merchandise?
It's a CD, in case you were wondering.
Wow. That imagery kills me.
:D
They remind me of some of the rip-off Disney merchandise I saw in flea markets whenever I visited Latin America.\

Thanks for the link, Metalwario64.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:14 am

I'd recommend visiting http://uglydbzmerch.tumblr.com/

Contains both legit and bootleg products.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

THEGOKU
Regular

Post by THEGOKU » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:01 pm

Gonstead wrote:I'd recommend visiting http://uglydbzmerch.tumblr.com/

Contains both legit and bootleg products.
I have been on this tumblr for the past 35 minutes. You win the internet today for sharing this wonderfully hilarious page :clap: :lol: my God these things are awful.