Who is the most annoying character?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Who is the most annoying character?

Post by B » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:12 pm

kinisking wrote:Strange coming from a fan of Bleach. Ichigo never really liked being a Soul Reaper. He just wanted to protect his friends, similar to Gohan. Anyways, I can't see how these guys could be the most annoying when we have the Pilaf gang.
Ichigo was always pragmatic. He never stood around shaking wonder what he should be doing. Granted, Gohan is not even ten years old for the majority of his screen time, but then maybe this realistic portrayal of a four-year-old thrown on the battlefield wasn't the greatest idea in the first place.

On Vegeta, I remember when Buu Kai was airing and it got the part where Gohan gets his energy stolen. Everyone decides the smart thing to do is go after Spopovitch and Yamu, but then Vegeta screams "are you backing out of our fight, Kakarot?!" Yes, Vegeta. Goku is running away because he's afraid of you. Why would he be concerned that two strangers just stabbed his son? He's doing this to purposely upset you, of course. I wanted to just shut the episode off then and there, as silly as that is to admit. What a self-involved piece of garbage.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:32 pm

B wrote:
kinisking wrote:Strange coming from a fan of Bleach. Ichigo never really liked being a Soul Reaper. He just wanted to protect his friends, similar to Gohan. Anyways, I can't see how these guys could be the most annoying when we have the Pilaf gang.
Ichigo was always pragmatic. He never stood around shaking wonder what he should be doing. Granted, Gohan is not even ten years old for the majority of his screen time, but then maybe this realistic portrayal of a four-year-old thrown on the battlefield wasn't the greatest idea in the first place.

On Vegeta, I remember when Buu Kai was airing and it got the part where Gohan gets his energy stolen. Everyone decides the smart thing to do is go after Spopovitch and Yamu, but then Vegeta screams "are you backing out of our fight, Kakarot?!" Yes, Vegeta. Goku is running away because he's afraid of you. Why would he be concerned that two strangers just stabbed his son? He's doing this to purposely upset you, of course. I wanted to just shut the episode off then and there, as silly as that is to admit. What a self-involved piece of garbage.
Saiyan saga Gohan was pretty annoying :lol: But at least he came back for his dad and decided to go to namek right? Another time Gohan was pretty annoying was cell saga, which seemed like a regression of his character. It's why Boo saga Gohan>Namek>>Cell>>Saiyan.

Also that's true. I could see why it was annoying. That's also why Super>>boo>>>>>>>every other version.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:34 pm

B wrote: What a self-involved piece of garbage.
Honestly, I kinda wanted Goku to smack him there. No fight, just straight to SS3 and knock the teeth outta him.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:00 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
Anime Kitten wrote:Roshi. I can't stand him when he's not fighting.
I forgot about Roshi since he hasn't been in Super for some time. Yeah his shtick really got dreadful without the wisdom he has to balance it out. So every one of his scene's followed the exact same formula and didn't even do any interesting swerves. Made his screen time feel like such a waste. Arguably worse than Pilaf as they at least sorta try do something with him in Super.
Yeah, it sucks that he's such a one note character now. I loved him in original Dragon Ball, and kinda wish he stayed dead, it was a great way to cap off his story.
Death isn't a great way to cap off his story. And there are plenty of times he provides some insight into a fight or provides a poignant moment.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:02 pm

ABED wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
I forgot about Roshi since he hasn't been in Super for some time. Yeah his shtick really got dreadful without the wisdom he has to balance it out. So every one of his scene's followed the exact same formula and didn't even do any interesting swerves. Made his screen time feel like such a waste. Arguably worse than Pilaf as they at least sorta try do something with him in Super.
Yeah, it sucks that he's such a one note character now. I loved him in original Dragon Ball, and kinda wish he stayed dead, it was a great way to cap off his story.
Death isn't a great way to cap off his story. And there are plenty of times he provides some insight into a fight or provides a poignant moment.
Wish he could have stayed more relevant, if only as a mentor figure.
Retired.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:39 am

Kaioshin... though a badly-written character isn't the same as an annoying one but he was dumb, useless (obstructive even), and whiny so he was certainly annoying.

GT Pan for the same reasons on top of being a selfish brat. At first I tried to convince myself she wasn't that bad but re-watching GT (subbed, in fact) I remembered exactly why I hated her.

Bebi because pretty much his whole character is he's a hypocrite regarding his opinion on Saiyans and his annoying voice.

Babidi (obvious reasons). I remember being really happy when Majin Boo killed his bitchass.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:15 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Kaioshin... though a badly-written character isn't the same as an annoying one but he was dumb, useless (obstructive even), and whiny so he was certainly annoying.

GT Pan for the same reasons on top of being a selfish brat. At first I tried to convince myself she wasn't that bad but re-watching GT (subbed, in fact) I remembered exactly why I hated her.

Bebi because pretty much his whole character is he's a hypocrite regarding his opinion on Saiyans and his annoying voice.

Babidi (obvious reasons). I remember being really happy when Majin Boo killed his bitchass.
Hypocracy is a great trait for a villain.
Pan is 9 and she did mature a little throughout the series.
Why was Kaioshin dumb?
Last edited by ABED on Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:19 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Kaioshin... though a badly-written character isn't the same as an annoying one but he was dumb, useless (obstructive even), and whiny so he was certainly annoying.
Kaioshin is under-informed, but he has a plan to stop Boo's revival that would have gone perfectly fine had the Saiyans been anything other than adrenaline-junky maniacs with a personal beef.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:44 pm

ABED wrote:

Hypocracy is a great trait for a villain.
Pan is 9 and she did mature a little throughout the series.
Why was Kaioshin dumb?
Yes but it's not enjoyable by itself. You should hate a villain for their despicable actions not for the character itself. Also what word is hypocracy?
Pan is 10 but there's a difference between a 10 year old and spoiled little shit. Maybe if she actually did shit (or wasn't shoehorned into the plot) I wouldn't have so much of a problem with her but she almost didn't.
Ask Toriyama about that, not me.
Cipher wrote: Kaioshin is under-informed, but he has a plan to stop Boo's revival that would have gone perfectly fine had the Saiyans been anything other than adrenaline-junky maniacs with a personal beef.
Those "adrenaline-junky maniacs" are the reason his "plan" even came to succeeding in the first place as they were way stronger than he expected. This is ignoring Kaioshin never did research on the planet he left Majin Boo's egg on (which he was afraid would open from slight vibration and Earth was certain playground to planet-busting aliens) deliberately allowed Spopovich and Yamu steal Gohan's energy, never took proper percussion to who was in his party, and was such a goddamn pussy he would rather have "mere mortals" gang up on Babidi's men than bust through the floors at the (unlikely) possibility of Majin Boo being revived prematurely.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:36 pm

Yes but it's not enjoyable by itself. You should hate a villain for their despicable actions not for the character itself. Also what word is hypocracy?
Pan is 10 but there's a difference between a 10 year old and spoiled little shit. Maybe if she actually did shit (or wasn't shoehorned into the plot) I wouldn't have so much of a problem with her but she almost didn't.
Ask Toriyama about that, not me.
A character is defined by their actions and if he's hypocritical, he's taking certain actions. And you have to know that "hypocracy" is a mispelling on my part. Let it go.
Pan is not 10. I believe she's nine, but closer to 8. She was 3 at the end of Z, and GT picks up 5 years later.
I can't ask Toriyama. I'm asking you why you consider him dumb.
deliberately allowed Spopovich and Yamu steal Gohan's energy, never took proper percussion to who was in his party, and was such a goddamn pussy he would rather have "mere mortals" gang up on Babidi's men than bust through the floors at the (unlikely) possibility of Majin Boo being revived prematurely.
He let them have Gohan's energy because they needed to find out where Babidi was. You mean precaution, not percussion. I have no idea why that last thing makes him a wuss. He knows how powerful Buu is, so of course he would be scared as any sane person who knew anything about Buu would. ANd the plan definitely would have worked had Vegeta not been such a prick.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:03 pm

Cipher wrote:
Kaioshin is under-informed, but he has a plan to stop Boo's revival that would have gone perfectly fine had the Saiyans been anything other than adrenaline-junky maniacs with a personal beef.
Still, he could have just woken Boo prematurely. He would have been so weak that he could be handled easily.
Retired.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:09 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Cipher wrote:
Still, he could have just woken Boo prematurely. He would have been so weak that he could be handled easily.
That's conjecture.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:22 pm

ABED wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Cipher wrote: Kaioshin is under-informed, but he has a plan to stop Boo's revival that would have gone perfectly fine had the Saiyans been anything other than adrenaline-junky maniacs with a personal beef.
That's conjecture.
Not really, it was strongly implied that Boo would be severely weakened if he was awoken prematurely. I haven't read that part of the manga in a few years, so maybe it's anime-only.
Retired.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:33 pm

ABED wrote:A character is defined by their actions and if he's hypocritical, he's taking certain actions. And you have to know that "hypocracy" is a mispelling on my part. Let it go.
Pan is not 10. I believe she's nine, but closer to 8. She was 3 at the end of Z, and GT picks up 5 years later.
I can't ask Toriyama. I'm asking you why you consider him dumb.
Not exactly. Actions say a lot about a character but if the character himself is all "You ruined my life so I'll ruin yours" then they're not good to watch at all on top of having an annoying voice.
Pan was 5 at the EoZ and GT takes place 5 years afterwards so she's 10.
You'll see below...
He let them have Gohan's energy because they needed to find out where Babidi was. You mean precaution, not percussion. I have no idea why that last thing makes him a wuss. He knows how powerful Buu is, so of course he would be scared as any sane person who knew anything about Buu would. ANd the plan definitely would have worked had Vegeta not been such a prick.
I know but there were so many other less risky solutions. Kaioshin could confront them himself forcing them to retreat empty handed or simply tell the Z-Warriors about them... heck Kaioshin himself said he would've handled things differently if he knew the Saiyans were as strong as they were (yet it took him all the way from Babidi's Spaceship to his ass beating by Majin Boo to realize he was out of his league). There was no observational evidence the egg would release Majin Boo prematurely from any sudden vibration (especially since Kaioshin knows it needs energy to be revived) and even if it would Majin Boo would be severely weakened making him an easy win for the Saiyans. There's many other instances of his stupidity most notably him leaving Majin Boo's egg on the most dangerous planet in the entire Galaxy and him not informing Gohan of Boo's absorption technique.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:48 pm

Not exactly. Actions say a lot about a character but if the character himself is all "You ruined my life so I'll ruin yours" then they're not good to watch at all on top of having an annoying voice.
Pan was 5 at the EoZ and GT takes place 5 years afterwards so she's 10.
You'll see below...
I don't see what your point is regarding his hypocrisy. And assuming Pan is 10, that difference is negligable.
I know but there were so many other less risky solutions. Kaioshin could confront them himself forcing them to retreat empty handed or simply tell the Z-Warriors about them... heck Kaioshin himself said he would've handled things differently if he knew the Saiyans were as strong as they were (yet it took him all the way from Babidi's Spaceship to his ass beating by Majin Boo to realize he was out of his league). There was no observational evidence the egg would release Majin Boo prematurely from any sudden vibration (especially since Kaioshin knows it needs energy to be revived) and even if it would Majin Boo would be severely weakened making him an easy win for the Saiyans. There's many other instances of his stupidity most notably him leaving Majin Boo's egg on the most dangerous planet in the entire Galaxy and him not informing Gohan of Boo's absorption technique.
They could've retreated OR they could've not gone back to the ship. It's likely that they wouldn't have gone back to the ship until their mission was fulfilled. There was also no observational evidence that Buu wouldn't have been released. It's conjecture, and regardless, he knew how strong Buu was, so even at a deficit he presumed that Buu would still be unimaginably strong. It's all conjecture on his part. We the audience has the benefit of hindsight. Much of his so called "stupidity" is the result of out of universe explanations. Why does Kaioshin take the brunt of this criticism when Toriyama hadn't thought up these things when he was creating the story? He didn't know about Buu's absorption's abilities because Toriyama hadn't thought up those stories.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:56 pm

ABED wrote:I don't see what your point is regarding his hypocrisy.
He's just not an interesting character and him constantly going on about his revenge is annoying.
They could've retreated OR they could've not gone back to the ship. It's likely that they wouldn't have gone back to the ship until their mission was fulfilled. There was also no observational evidence that Buu wouldn't have been released. It's conjecture, and regardless, he knew how strong Buu was, so even at a deficit he presumed that Buu would still be unimaginably strong. It's all conjecture on his part. We the audience has the benefit of hindsight. Much of his so called "stupidity" is the result of out of universe explanations. Why does Kaioshin take the brunt of this criticism when Toriyama hadn't thought up these things when he was creating the story? He didn't know about Buu's absorption's abilities because Toriyama hadn't thought up those stories.
With them knowing the Z-Warriors know about their plan I doubt they would keep go through it unless they're glutton for punishment.

The fact that Babidi needed energy to revive Majin Boo which Kaioshin knows about and the fact it's able to seal Majin Boo in the first place should be pretty telling of it's strength. Also he left it on Earth which like the most dangerous planet even in Dragon Ball.

Regardless of how Toriyama thought of this stuff firsthand or not, Kaioshin was still depicted as being stupid on everything especially about the Saiyan's powers even though he should've realized he was out of his league when he first saw Gohan go SSJ2 and he knew Boo can absorb people but didn't tell anyone about it for some reason.

Honestly I don't see why I have to justify finding fictional characters annoying to you. If this was a "Worst Character" Thread then I'd probably see why.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:10 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Also he left it on Earth which like the most dangerous planet even in Dragon Ball.
Didn't it not become as dangerous as it now is until well after the ball was left there?

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:24 pm

+1 for Mr Satan

I would also add Pan, but only in the FUNimation dub of GT. She sounded a lot less annoying/whiny in other versions.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:31 pm

He's just not an interesting character and him constantly going on about his revenge is annoying.
They all go on and on about something.
With them knowing the Z-Warriors know about their plan I doubt they would keep go through it unless they're glutton for punishment.
Huh?
Kaioshin was still depicted as being stupid on everything especially about the Saiyan's powers even though he should've realized he was out of his league when he first saw Gohan go SSJ2 and he knew Boo can absorb people but didn't tell anyone about it for some reason.
He's not stupid about their power, he just simply doesn't know about it. He's the Kaioshin of an entire galaxy! And he didn't tell anyone because Toriyama didn't know. There's no regardless in this situation. Why do you blame the character for what is clearly a lack of foresight on the part of the author? And you aren't under any compulsion beyond your own to justify anything to anyone. I like to know, but you don't have to respond. I'm not trying to force anything out of you. This is what I thought was a good natured discussion.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:26 pm

Kaioshin picked the best men for the job, who also happened to be the worst men for the job.

For whatever its flaws, his plan would have gone off without a hitch if Goku and Vegeta hadn't decided to fight each other in its final moments.