You think some fans are destroying the Dragonball Community??

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lujin_16
Regular

You think some fans are destroying the Dragonball Community??

Post by Lujin_16 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:46 am

"Everything that is not like Z isnt as Good as Z.oh NOW its like Z, now its good" - guys :? getting tired of it.Super has a totaly different focus on Story then Z

If an episode is more storytelling/comedy than action some will complaining it is to childish or has less action...

TheMikado
I Live Here

Re: You think some fans are destroying the Dragonball Community??

Post by TheMikado » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:56 am

Lujin_16 wrote:"Everything that is not like Z isnt as Good as Z.oh NOW its like Z, now its good" - guys :? getting tired of it.Super has a totally different focus on Story then Z

If an episode is more storytelling/comedy than action some will complaining it is to childish or has less action...
The community is segmented. Do you think some fans of European sports cars vs. American muscle cars are destroying the automotive community?
Its possible to like some aspects and not others. Being a Dragonball fan doesn't mean you like everything just like being a car enthusiast doesn't mean you like every car.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:57 am

They arent. People have always complained about stuff and the Fanbase will always have whiners. They will never
"destroy" anything. Dont let them get to you.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:03 am

Lujin_16 wrote:"Everything that is not like Z isnt as Good as Z.oh NOW its like Z, now its good" - guys :? getting tired of it.Super has a totaly different focus on Story then Z

That is true though GT and Super aren't as good as Z, however this Future Trunks arc is turning out pretty nice and if the following arcs turn out even better with good animation and art than Super> Z.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:07 am

I think plenty of fans are idiots, but they're hardly destroying the "community," such as it is.

This rush of "new" people on the forum since Battle of Gods, has been tiring, admittedly.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:08 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Lujin_16 wrote:"Everything that is not like Z isnt as Good as Z.oh NOW its like Z, now its good" - guys :? getting tired of it.Super has a totaly different focus on Story then Z

That is true though GT and Super aren't as good as Z, however this Future Trunks arc is turning out pretty nice and if the following arcs turn out even better with good animation and art than Super> Z.

Dragonball Super has potential

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:14 am

Lujin_16 wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:

Dragonball Super has potential
I'm not denying that because it certainly does.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:26 am

No one's really "destroying" the fanbase. People have had thoughts and opinions like this since the start of GT. Every community has whiners like Cure Dragon 255 said.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:26 am

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:28 am

I will destroy the Dragon Ball community.

I won't rest until it is done.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:10 am

I don't know if I would say "destroying" the community, but I definitely think there is a lack of understanding among the fanbase about what the series really is.

Much of this is because many people who watch Dragon Ball (or at least the Z portion) are unfamiliar with its comedic roots and how Toriyama is as a writer (exemplified by Dr. Slump), and I think a lot of it has to do with how the series was marketed in the western world. A lot of people who watched DBZ on Toonami think of it as a hardcore, action show with a rock and techno BGM and nothing else.

I think if a lot of these fans read the manga, saw the series in Japanese from start to finish, read Derek Padula's "Dragon Ball Culture" series or watched the original Dragon Ball followed by Kai (either English or Japanese) they would have a better understanding of the series than a lot of the fans who only want fights and big explosions. I'm not bashing anyone's preferred way of consuming the show, but I think however one chooses to watch or read it they should at least respect Toriyama's original vision for the manga as published in Shonen Jump between 1984 and 1995.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:26 am

This fanbase was destroyed the minute the dub aired in North America.
[spoiler]I wonder if people will realize this is a joke the first time they read it.[/spoiler]

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:32 pm

Cipher wrote:I will destroy the Dragon Ball community.

I won't rest until it is done.
You're only allowed to destroy a certain amount of the community. I'll have to rewind your actions for balance's sake, if you go too far.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:34 pm

nite_jay wrote:This fanbase was destroyed the minute the dub aired in North America.
[spoiler]I wonder if people will realize this is a joke the first time they read it.[/spoiler]
How?? Please explain?

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:35 pm

I always felt that what separated Dragon Ball fans from that of other series is that at the very least everybody pretty much liked the story of the original manga.

You won't find that in the Bleach or Naruto Fandom where people followed the story weekly just to poop on it.

With that said Super is changing that a bit I think by segmenting the fan base between those who like the new material and those who miss the old stuff.

I personally haven't watched Super, I watched the first episode but got turned off by the idea of rewatching months of material retelling the movies. I do plan to catch up eventually though.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:32 pm

Some fans may express opinions in a certain that may put some of community in a negative light, but, other than that, no, I don't think any of the fans are really "destroying" the Dragon Ball community.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:03 pm

qjz123 wrote:I always felt that what separated Dragon Ball fans from that of other series is that at the very least everybody pretty much liked the story of the original manga.
I don't see this at all. There's no shortage "if only this was different" or "this character should've done this" sentiments.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:35 pm

B wrote:
qjz123 wrote:I always felt that what separated Dragon Ball fans from that of other series is that at the very least everybody pretty much liked the story of the original manga.
I don't see this at all. There's no shortage "if only this was different" or "this character should've done this" sentiments.
Well I mean the story is 30 years old, maybe it's just a case of not having internet during the series heyday.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:12 pm

I mean, the one thing that I am getting annoyed at are the constant cynical jabs at Super in situations not even related to it. Like when people chime in just to say "Super is garbage" and then leave. At least with "GT is non-canon" comments, it often had a proper reason behind it that wasn't just someone trying to shove in their opinion where it didn't belong.

Not to mention the whole "Super's animation sucks" thing. I'd jump on the bandwagon if it was clear Toei was fine with bad animation and wasn't trying to fix it, but that's not true. We've seen all the things they've done to try and fix up the schedule. They don't want it to look bad, either.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Im insaneFromEarth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Im insaneFromEarth » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:30 pm

MozillaVulpix wrote:I mean, the one thing that I am getting annoyed at are the constant cynical jabs at Super in situations not even related to it. Like when people chime in just to say "Super is garbage" and then leave. At least with "GT is non-canon" comments, it often had a proper reason behind it that wasn't just someone trying to shove in their opinion where it didn't belong.

Not to mention the whole "Super's animation sucks" thing. I'd jump on the bandwagon if it was clear Toei was fine with bad animation and wasn't trying to fix it, but that's not true. We've seen all the things they've done to try and fix up the schedule. They don't want it to look bad, either.

Very true man, also from what I've heard about a lot of the episodes that had some bad animation was that it was rushed. I'm not sure how many episodes was rushed but that would explain some of it. But yathey have fied it for the Blu ray so we know that they do care, they could have just said f it and leave in the bad animation.