Is Nozawa's voice the only thing that turns people off of the Japanese version?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: Is Nozawa's voice the only thing that turns people off of the Japanese version?

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:23 pm

Zenkai wrote:Maybe some people prefer watching without having to stare at the bottom of the screen and read.....
Maybe, but that makes them extraordinarily lazy. The dialogue isn't complex, and it isn't going on during any big action scenes.
Retired.

Zenkai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Is Nozawa's voice the only thing that turns people off of the Japanese version?

Post by Zenkai » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:25 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Zenkai wrote:Maybe some people prefer watching without having to stare at the bottom of the screen and read.....
Maybe, but that makes them extraordinarily lazy. The dialogue isn't complex, and it isn't going on during any big action scenes.
I'd rather look at the animation, personally.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:33 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
It's not lazy, much less extraordinarily so, it's just different. No the dialog isn't complex but I would like to concentrate on the images and the performances without having to actively read.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:39 pm

Man this thread devolved into Sub/Dub wars quickly.

Guys people are going to prefer the version they saw first, generally these days the version anime fans see first is the Japanese version thanks to the Internet. Shows like Naruto or One Piece for example are years ahead of their respective dubs and readily available to legally watch online hours after it airs in Japan.

With DBZ though the circumstances were obviously very different. To a lot of fans the dub was the original show, most fans didn't even know what anime was when they first watched the series and now after years of watching it a certain way they don't care to change.

Insulting them or acting superior won't solve anything. I know, I used to feel the same way as them about the dub, not because I was nostalgic but because in 2009 when I watched the series all the way through I watched the orange bricks with the default soundtrack. The dub with Japanese music.

I didnt know any different, and obviously I loved the series despite of that versions shortcomings. If someone's gonna come around from the perverbial dark side they'll do it at their own time and their own pace.

You aren't going to debate someone into liking what you like...
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:51 pm

ABED wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
It's not lazy, much less extraordinarily so, it's just different. No the dialog isn't complex but I would like to concentrate on the images and the performances without having to actively read.
Maybe it comes more naturally to me. I read so much, it's practically the same as hearing someone talk. That's my only explanation, because what you're saying doesn't resonate with me on any level.
Retired.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:08 pm

ABED wrote:What do you have against 60s martial arts movie scores?
I mean, I have nothing against them. Really, maybe I'm being too general with that comment since there may be old school martial arts movies with amazing soundtracks I've never heard of. But out of the ones I have, it's just... not my cup of tea? Just dull.

Nowadays, I see martial arts movies with score that know how to make things go from 0 to 100, like this one from Ip Man, for example: https://youtu.be/aN4B0DeZgqY?t=3m50s.

I like it when intense scenes are accompanied by intense tracks. Mind you, Faulconer isn't a masterpiece, or orchestral at that, but it does bring that intensity when things escalate. Kikuchi rarely gives me any "wow" moments, and DBZ is probably one of the most over-the-top shows in existence, so that's what I find off-putting about it.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Besides what ABED said, some people also like to multi-task while watching/listening to a show. Can't really do that if you have to read what's going on. =P
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:10 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Besides what ABED said, some people also like to multi-task while watching/listening to a show. Can't really do that if you have to read what's going on. =P
Oh please, the vast majority of the world doesn't speak fluent English, and yet American movies are by far the most popular. Which means everyone is reading subtitles with their own native language. Is the attention span of English speakers just that short or something?

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:15 pm

Doctor. wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Besides what ABED said, some people also like to multi-task while watching/listening to a show. Can't really do that if you have to read what's going on. =P
Oh please, the vast majority of the world doesn't speak fluent English, and yet American movies are by far the most popular. Which means everyone is reading subtitles with their own native language. Is the attention span of English speakers just that short or something?
I'm referring to specific moments you want to do other stuff at the same time as watching a show. I'm sure every foreign country would prefer it if those movies were in their native languages.

Edit: But to answer your question, yes, most English speakers have short attention spans. =D
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:17 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
I'm referring to specific moments you want to do other stuff at the same time as watching a show. I'm sure every foreign country would prefer it if those movies were in their native languages.
Not if it wasn't done well, they wouldn't. That's a very specific crowd.
Retired.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:23 pm

Doctor. wrote:
To me, it has nothing to do with attention span, I just prefer dubs to subtitles, at least in animation.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:25 pm

ABED wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
To me, it has nothing to do with attention span, I just prefer dubs to subtitles, at least in animation.
I get it, but if the Dub is as flawed as Funimation's, would you admit that watching with subtitles is the superior method?
Retired.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:26 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
ABED wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
I get it, but if the Dub is as flawed as Funimation's, would you admit that watching with subtitles is the superior method?
Not if you're talking about Kai (and GT + original DB to an extent)

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:34 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
ABED wrote: To me, it has nothing to do with attention span, I just prefer dubs to subtitles, at least in animation.
Not if you're talking about Kai (and GT + original DB to an extent)
GT is acceptable. The voices in DB are less forced, but they still have all those ridiculous fake accents, as well as pointless script changes.

I forgot about Kai, I guess that dub gets a pass, although I have my problems with Kai in general.
Retired.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:57 pm

I forgot about Kai, I guess that dub gets a pass, although I have my problems with Kai in general.
Since I already have the original and I think the Japanese version pales in comparison to Z, if I'm watching Kai, I prefer to watch the dub.
Absolutely, but in cases where the dubs are very close, I prefer the dub.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:52 pm

ABED wrote:
Since I already have the original and I think the Japanese version pales in comparison to Z, if I'm watching Kai, I prefer to watch the dub.
Absolutely, but in cases where the dubs are very close, I prefer the dub.
It hurts my soul as a dub fan to hear the ultra-accurate, well-funded (for a dub) Naruto dub with its Fred Tatasciore's & Troy Baker's, be placed alongside 4Kids/Saban BS dubs. While in the same sentence, people say "all anime with subs except for DBZ."

Like what the **** is wrong with you?

But it's basically what Deathbringer said, about "DBZ was a Toonami show", & unfortunately dubs have now become less & less relevant due to subtitled-only streaming. Beyond that, as I said, there's the cultural difference. In many cases where HOllywood cast a dude, Japan cast a woman. & the other way around as well.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:14 am

Doctor. wrote:
Many in that vast majority have the movies dubbed in their native language tough.
My dad is watching movies dubbed, because somehow, it irritates him to hear language that he doesn't understand that well. On the other hand, I am watching english stuff without subs, as I read, hear and speak fluently.
Only thing that makes me trouble sometimes, are tenses and overall syntax, but even being drunk as hell, I can have a quality discussion.
My GF has it same, but we are in minority in our country. Most people have the same level of english and even the sentiment about it like Japanese - they don't need the language, so why would they stretch themselves. Sigh...
+ there is that sentiment at schools, that most people rely on what the school teaches them. Even when our english classes are of top quality (My english teacher for example was Oxford graduate - we used to laugh on Australian accent in her classes a lot in words like baby and space :D ),
many people don't have the need to better themselves and extend their language skills, they just take it as a mark in their classification.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:07 pm

Doctor. wrote:
For me personally, I've seen the series many times, including a couple where I watched the subbed version all the way through. When I'm watching the series for the 198,182,171st time, I don't have to focus all of my attention to it and I can have it in the background.

Again, the biggest thing is that those kinds of fans don't care enough about it to want to experience the original and are fully happy with the dub.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:55 pm

I don't like Nozawa at all, and it's not just because she's voicing adult male characters. Her voice is grating, and her acting at times can be as bad as Stephanie Nadolny's (Gohan's blubbering in Japanese is a form of torture). She completely ruins the Japanese version for me. I like most of the other actors. I vastly prefer Sean Schemmel, Colleen Clinkenbeard, etc. all the FUNimation English voices for her characters. I do think Nozawa is okay as kid Goku, but I didn't start liking kid Gohan as a character until Clinkenbeard made him tolerable to listen to. For me, Sean Schemmel is Goku. It's hard for me to go back and listen to the old DBZ dub, but the new stuff is on par with (if not better than) the Japanese, imo.

But to more specifically address the topic creator, most people in English-speaking countries watched DBZ when they were little kids. They grew up with what aired on Toonami, and that to them is DBZ. They can't watch it in Japanese because it's vastly different. This is why, like a previous poster mentioned, there are people who will only watch DBZ in English, but every other anime will be watched in Japanese with English subs. Never mind that modern dubs are actually, y'know, good.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot