If Harmony Gold was more, names still around?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5005
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:45 pm

If Harmony Gold was more, names still around?

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:46 pm

Was thinking lately if the Harmony Gold version had been around longer than it was, even if it was short-lived, would the characters' changed names still been referenced by the North American fandom? For example, know there are several people who refer to the Gatchaman characters by "Battle of the Planets" names and know several Sailor Moon fans who are more used to using the names from the first two seasons' English dub. Know some folks will say the former is an exception due to being "pre-intermenet", but was wondering if the HG version had been around for a year or so, would there still be folks saying "Zero, Whiskers, and co."

User avatar
nickzambuto
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1516
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:53 pm

Re: If Harmony Gold was more, names still around?

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:08 am

Absolutely, evident by the fact that many folks still say Master Roshi.

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14019
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: If Harmony Gold was more, names still around?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:47 am

Hard to say. We don't know how HG would dub the rest of the series and how popular it would be in the US.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

User avatar
Adrian Malacoda
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:58 pm
Contact:

Re: If Harmony Gold was more, names still around?

Post by Adrian Malacoda » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:15 am

Definitely. People, even here, still use Funimation's names for characters such as Satan, Bra, the GT dragons, Bardock's team, Coola, etc, as well as for techniques such as Goku's teleportation or the Genki-Dama.

Granted, at least in the case of characters, the Funimation name is pretty close to the original. Still, even when it's not, for some people "the official English name" carries more weight than the original name.

User avatar
Puto
I Live Here
Posts: 2660
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:40 am
Location: Portugal, Oeiras
Contact:

Re: If Harmony Gold was more, names still around?

Post by Puto » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:18 am

The fact that people still use *Hercule*, despite that name almost never being mentioned in the uncut dub, says a lot.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

User avatar
Im insaneFromEarth
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:02 pm
Location: kentucky

Re: If Harmony Gold was more, names still around?

Post by Im insaneFromEarth » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:00 am

Puto wrote:The fact that people still use *Hercule*, despite that name almost never being mentioned in the uncut dub, says a lot.
So true man, I don't understand it lol.

User avatar
Im insaneFromEarth
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:02 pm
Location: kentucky

Re: If Harmony Gold was more, names still around?

Post by Im insaneFromEarth » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:03 am

Adrian Malacoda wrote:Definitely. People, even here, still use Funimation's names for characters such as Satan, Bra, the GT dragons, Bardock's team, Coola, etc, as well as for techniques such as Goku's teleportation or the Genki-Dama.

Granted, at least in the case of characters, the Funimation name is pretty close to the original. Still, even when it's not, for some people "the official English name" carries more weight than the original name.
Also most people spell BUU as Boo. Aslo most people don't pronounce Sūpā Saiya-jin right. (But that's ok)

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 845
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:29 am
Location: West Virginia USA

Re: If Harmony Gold was more, names still around?

Post by superrayman3 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:45 am

nickzambuto wrote:Absolutely, evident by the fact that many folks still say Master Roshi.
Can we really attribute that one to Harmony Gold though considering FUNi also used that name and is how most people were exposed to that name since most people watched the FUNi dubs (1995 and 2003) and most likely didn't even know the Harmony Gold dub existed until many years later?
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

User avatar
nickzambuto
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1516
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:53 pm

Re: If Harmony Gold was more, names still around?

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:21 pm

superrayman3 wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:Absolutely, evident by the fact that many folks still say Master Roshi.
Can we really attribute that one to Harmony Gold though considering FUNi also used that name and is how most people were exposed to that name since most people watched the FUNi dubs (1995 and 2003) and most likely didn't even know the Harmony Gold dub existed until many years later?
Actually my point was that people still use Master Roshi, and that is an incorrect, nonsensical dub term. It doesn't matter which dub people got it from, it proves that the American audience will mostly stick with their version.
I'm insaneFromEarth wrote:
Adrian Malacoda wrote:Definitely. People, even here, still use Funimation's names for characters such as Satan, Bra, the GT dragons, Bardock's team, Coola, etc, as well as for techniques such as Goku's teleportation or the Genki-Dama.

Granted, at least in the case of characters, the Funimation name is pretty close to the original. Still, even when it's not, for some people "the official English name" carries more weight than the original name.
Also most people spell BUU as Boo. Aslo most people don't pronounce Sūpā Saiya-jin right. (But that's ok)
What is your point with Boo? Isn't it spelled with O's in the sub and FUNi are the ones who translated it with U's? Regardless I spell it with O's because it preserves the pun. Proper romanization and kanji translation and whatever aren't as important as the point and meaning of the name.

User avatar
TheGreatness25
I Live Here
Posts: 4256
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: If Harmony Gold was more, names still around?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:34 pm

I find the Harmony Gold dub fascinating. I wish that Funimation would just spend the extra $20 that it would take to get the rights to the Harmony Gold dub (come on, how much does it cost to license the thing?) and release it. Put it on their own Funimation app or Hulu, it would cost them nothing. Same goes for the Westwood dub -- just pay whoever you have to to puthe thing up on Hulu or something. It's a complete fascination that I have. Instead of sitting there and saying, "Hmm well this line of dialog is wrong or that name is incorrect," I'd thoroughly enjoy seeing a side of DB that I've never seen before (or seen such a limited amount of). I've seen the "real" Dragon Ball series so many times, that I welcome all these different "crazy" versions of it. I want to see a version where all of their names are different. It's pure fascination.

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16565
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: If Harmony Gold was more, names still around?

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:36 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:it would cost them nothing
You must not be familiar with Harmony Gold at all.

We do not and never will have Do You Remember Love? in America because of egotistical bullshit from the dude at Harmony Gold wanting to push his own Robotech rewrites. The protection there is at the level of "you can't have this JUST BECAUSE HAHA!"
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
TheGreatness25
I Live Here
Posts: 4256
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: If Harmony Gold was more, names still around?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:46 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:it would cost them nothing
You must not be familiar with Harmony Gold at all.

We do not and never will have Do You Remember Love? in America because of egotistical bullshit from the dude at Harmony Gold wanting to push his own Robotech rewrites. The protection there is at the level of "you can't have this JUST BECAUSE HAHA!"
That's so sad. If I went to their office to give them $10 for the whole thing, that's still more money than they're making on the series. Not much in the way of exposing your work to the general public when it sits in a vault collecting dust. At least if they let Funimation have it, it would promote their work and a new fan base might actually check out their work. As long as Funimation -- followed up by whoever else -- has the rights to the series, Harmony Gold can't do anything with the series anyway. It will never see the light of day again. So why hold onto it?

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3774
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: If Harmony Gold was more, names still around?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:33 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:it would cost them nothing
You must not be familiar with Harmony Gold at all.

We do not and never will have Do You Remember Love? in America because of egotistical bullshit from the dude at Harmony Gold wanting to push his own Robotech rewrites. The protection there is at the level of "you can't have this JUST BECAUSE HAHA!"
I hope you dont mean Carl Macek. The guy isnt evil and is already dead to boot.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16565
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: If Harmony Gold was more, names still around?

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:35 pm

No, of course not. Referring to Tommy Yune.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3774
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: If Harmony Gold was more, names still around?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:37 pm

Oh that guy. He's a jerk.

I wonder who owns the rights to the Harmony Gold dub, LOL.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
TheGreatness25
I Live Here
Posts: 4256
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: If Harmony Gold was more, names still around?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:41 pm

It could work in reverse and Harmony Gold could try to pay Funimation to be able to release their product. It would really make no difference to Funimation, but Harmony Gold would probably have to shell out a fortune. It's just sad for the fans, you know? I would understand if this was a matter of someone not letting someone else use their property because they'd lose money, but in this case, nobody loses anything. But still, we have to play the corporate politic game. And who loses out? The fans, of course. I'm not one of these anti-corporate America people, but come on. Sometimes you just gotta realize that nobody is going to spend a fortune on your worthless property (I'm looking at you Harmony Gold) on one hand, and if someone uses your property to do their own thing you won't lose a nickel for it (I'm looking at you Funimation) on the other hand.

User avatar
floofychan333
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1374
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:03 pm
Location: Edmonton, Canada

Re: If Harmony Gold was more, names still around?

Post by floofychan333 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:28 pm

nickzambuto wrote:Absolutely, evident by the fact that many folks still say Master Roshi.
That's different because FUNimation used Master Roshi and Chiaotzu.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

User avatar
nickzambuto
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1516
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:53 pm

Re: If Harmony Gold was more, names still around?

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:32 pm

floofychan333 wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:Absolutely, evident by the fact that many folks still say Master Roshi.
That's different because FUNimation used Master Roshi and Chiaotzu.
That's the point. It proves people do stick with the terms they know.

User avatar
Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5005
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:45 pm

Re: If Harmony Gold was more, names still around?

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:39 pm

With Bardock's team, it's kinda justified due to outside of Toma/Tora, they're not referred to by name outside of the credits. That's why I at least use their dub names. Similar thing was with Go-Lion when I did a panel regarding Voltron. We made a joke as we would only use their Voltron names as they were mainly referred to by nicknames in Go-Lion. But yeah, there's that whole legal mumbo-jumbo that keeps Macross Frontier and other things from American shores that the old team wouldn't have had problems with.

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2682
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: oak park heights
Contact:

Re: If Harmony Gold was more, names still around?

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:49 pm

I'm insaneFromEarth wrote:
Adrian Malacoda wrote:Definitely. People, even here, still use Funimation's names for characters such as Satan, Bra, the GT dragons, Bardock's team, Coola, etc, as well as for techniques such as Goku's teleportation or the Genki-Dama.

Granted, at least in the case of characters, the Funimation name is pretty close to the original. Still, even when it's not, for some people "the official English name" carries more weight than the original name.
Also most people spell BUU as Boo. Aslo most people don't pronounce Sūpā Saiya-jin right. (But that's ok)
Buu is just as valid as Boo.
they/them

cat vibing

Post Reply