Was GT actually cancelled?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeztin
I Live Here

Was GT actually cancelled?

Post by Xeztin » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:24 pm

This questions been asked a lot but I don't think there was ever a answer with solid proof given. Basically, did GT run its course of planned material or was it cancelled due to ratings? I always wondered why they stopped where they did when a SSJ5 was mentioned in the series and it only being 2 seasons long. To me, it seems like there was more planned that they didn't get to do. Could we never know the truth?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: Was GT actually cancelled?

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:30 pm

Xeztin wrote:This questions been asked a lot but I don't think there was ever a answer with solid proof given. Basically, did GT run its course of planned material or was it cancelled due to ratings? I always wondered why they stopped where they did when a SSJ5 was mentioned in the series and it only being 2 seasons long. To me, it seems like there was more planned that they didn't get to do. Could we never know the truth?
Sales for anything related to GT were very low. In all likelihood, it was cancelled early, especially given the awkward episode count.
Retired.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:35 pm

I'd say ratings.It was supposed to be a continuation of the manga/Z TV series which would have kept airing non stop even until today if Toriyama kept writting and it kept bringing in cash.

According to Kanzenshuu's episode guide an episode of Z would bring in 20% of the ratings, where as GT only held about 14%

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:43 pm

ringworm128 wrote:I'd say ratings.It was supposed to be a continuation of the manga/Z TV series which would have kept airing non stop even until today if Toriyama kept writting and it kept bringing in cash.

According to Kanzenshuu's episode guide an episode of Z would bring in 20% of the ratings, where as GT only held about 14%
In Japan, a series like Dragon Ball is funded almost entirely by the merchandise it sells. It probably had more to do with the fact that toys just weren't selling anymore.
Retired.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:48 pm

As I said, "if it kept bringing in the cash". If Lil Shonen and Shojo didn't jump in front of the TV everyday to watch GT why would they want to buy the toys?
Last edited by Ringworm128 on Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:19 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
ringworm128 wrote:I'd say ratings.It was supposed to be a continuation of the manga/Z TV series which would have kept airing non stop even until today if Toriyama kept writting and it kept bringing in cash.

In Japan, a series like Dragon Ball is funded almost entirely by the merchandise it sells. It probably had more to do with the fact that toys just weren't selling anymore.
Right, 14% was still very decent. But as stated there wasn't much to sell in the way of merchandise. I also wonder if Toei was paying a lot for the license and it wasn't pulling the numbers needed to carry an expensive licensing agreement.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:51 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:

Right, 14% was still very decent. But as stated there wasn't much to sell in the way of merchandise. I also wonder if Toei was paying a lot for the license and it wasn't pulling the numbers needed to carry an expensive licensing agreement.
I wish it continued for a bit longer, even if it were only for 10 or 20 more episodes. I enjoyed it for what it was, I just feel like by the end of the series there was supposed to have been more information on SSJ4/5 etc... I liked the character designs too! It feels really awkward looking at two GT season sets compared to the DBZ boxes.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:42 pm

We'll never know officially but yes, it was more than likely canclled.

I'd love for them to release a book focused on everything GT, from how it was put together to plans that couldn't be used for whatever reason.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:In Japan, a series like Dragon Ball is funded almost entirely by the merchandise it sells.
That's now but when it was based off the manga that's what was funding it (alongside merchandise of course but the manga came first).
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:26 am

There is no way to know for sure but it seems very likely. GT air right after DBZ ended and Toei had Dragon Ball in full control. GT only had 64 episodes while DBZ had over 200 episodes. If GT went as long as DBZ did, we would probably have GT from 1996 - 2003 in Japan.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:23 am

I think toys sales were the major factor into GT eventually getting shit-canned. I mean, ratings will certainly play a major part, but for a franchise like Dragon Ball, with young boys being the main demographic, how much the kid buy the toys tied into the show on TV are what make companies decided whether the show stays on the air or not.

THEGOKU
Regular

Post by THEGOKU » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:51 am

sintzu wrote:We'll never know officially but yes, it was more than likely canclled.

I'd love for them to release a book focused on everything GT, from how it was put together to plans that couldn't be used for whatever reason.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:In Japan, a series like Dragon Ball is funded almost entirely by the merchandise it sells.
That's now but when it was based off the manga that's what was funding it (alongside merchandise of course but the manga came first).
Whenever that book comes out I'm sure we will finally get our answer. I'm surprised that it didn't come out this year actually as a 20th anniversary book. GT just always felt very different from everything else dragonball related and while some of the character concepts were great a lot of the other stuff really fell flat. I really think them making Goku a kid again just brought a lot of fans away from the series.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:55 am

THEGOKU wrote:
sintzu wrote:We'll never know officially but yes, it was more than likely canclled.

Whenever that book comes out I'm sure we will finally get our answer. I'm surprised that it didn't come out this year actually as a 20th anniversary book. GT just always felt very different from everything else dragonball related and while some of the character concepts were great a lot of the other stuff really fell flat. I really think them making Goku a kid again just brought a lot of fans away from the series.
I don't think Shueshia or anyone associated with the official manga or anime would reveal anything about why GT was cancelled in a book, especially if toy sales was a factor.

Although I could see Derek Padula writing a book in the future about the history of the franchise and its success in Japan, including GT, didn't he say he has plenty of ideas for future books to write? I know for sure "USA DBZ" is supposed to be one of his upcoming books, maybe we could see a companion book for Japan? As a fan of Padula myself I know I'd buy both in a heartbeat.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:12 am

It seems unbelievable that as hot as Dragon Ball/Z was in Japan in the 90s, its sequel, no matter how "bad" it was, did poorly enough when it comes to revenue that it was cancelled as a result. In fact, the entire franchise came to a halt until it was revived years later with the release of the Kanzenban and the PS2 games.

I can't fathom something similar happening with Super. Dragon Ball feels too big to fail these days.

THEGOKU
Regular

Post by THEGOKU » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:22 pm

fps_anth wrote:It seems unbelievable that as hot as Dragon Ball/Z was in Japan in the 90s, its sequel, no matter how "bad" it was, did poorly enough when it comes to revenue that it was cancelled as a result. In fact, the entire franchise came to a halt until it was revived years later with the release of the Kanzenban and the PS2 games.

I can't fathom something similar happening with Super. Dragon Ball feels too big to fail these days.
In regards to Super the episode count alone should indicate it isn't going anywhere at least for right now. GT got lost in trying to go in so many different directions that the "hot" series cooled down and just crashed.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:26 pm

Some of GT's choices; turning Gokû into a child and then never turning him back, sidelining Vegeta for the most part until the final chunk of episodes, killing off Piccolo, writing Pan the way they wrote her instead of building off her Z characterization, separating Trunks and Goten; I think contributed to it not doing so well.

Of those, Super's only done one of them so far, and that's separating Trunks and Goten. I don't even know if they're only going to be apart this one arc or if Goten will reappear before the arc's over.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:50 pm

Chuquita wrote:Some of GT's choices; turning Gokû into a child
I think the bigger issue there isn't foreshadowing or any arc of him turning back.

Bear with me, Goku turning into a kid sounds like a cool idea but only for a very short while.

There are no hints as far as I know of him turning back or no established goal.
Last edited by Captain Strawberry on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:56 pm

Captain Strawberry wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Some of GT's choices; turning Gokû into a child
I think the bigger issue there is foreshadowing or any arc of him turning back.

Bear with me, Goku turning into a kid sounds like a cool idea but only for a very short while.

There are no hints as far as I know of him turning back or no established goal.
An additionally frustrating part of it was the unintentional tease of changed back into an adult Gokû at the end of ending animation 4.

I'd have been fine if child Gokû was a one arc situation, I just wish it wasn't for the whole show.

It's not like Detective Conan where it's an integral part of the plot. I feel like child Gokû should've been over at the end of the Bebi arc. Have them wish him back then. Even if they have to use the New Namek dragon balls to do it
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

THEGOKU
Regular

Post by THEGOKU » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:05 pm

Well if I remember correctly he said he wanted to stay as a kid in the show which was a terrible decision for Toei to make. They tried to hard to capture the magic that dragonball had thinking that it was just because Goku was a kid but that was not part of it at all. I mean of course this is one of the biggest mistakes among many they made with GT but I agree. Kid Goku is one arc material not the whole series.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:35 pm

I feel like they could have made Goku back into an adult by having Goku becoming SSj4 to break the spell or have him be wish back off screen before the Super 17 saga. I also think maybe GT Kid Goku was popular with the younger fans which is why Toei choose to have Goku be a kid from start to finish.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

THEGOKU
Regular

Post by THEGOKU » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:48 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I feel like they could have made Goku back into an adult by having Goku becoming SSj4 to break the spell or have him be wish back off screen before the Super 17 saga. I also think maybe GT Kid Goku was popular with the younger fans which is why Toei choose to have Goku be a kid from start to finish.
I can see that being why they kept him as a kid but it never really served a point that was useful for the story. I mean even his SSJ4 turned him back into an adult and that was the form he mainly used so once he achieved it his kid form served no actual purpose in the show. Now would his adult form have saved the show from being cancelled most likely not because of everything else.