You think Dragonball Z has failed in some things because of to much fighting action??

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lujin_16
Regular

You think Dragonball Z has failed in some things because of to much fighting action??

Post by Lujin_16 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:39 am

What do you think???

TheMikado
I Live Here

Re: You think Dragonball Z has failed in some things because of to much fighting action??

Post by TheMikado » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:52 am

No, it was arguably wildly successful and an international stand out which had spanned generations and decades and spawned the modern shonen era precisely due in part to that aspect.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: You think Dragonball Z has failed in some things because of to much fighting action??

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:20 am

Any problem is not due to the 'high amount' of battles but the small amount of ordinary life scenes. Even then, though, when you're an animated series with a staff sticking so closely to the tone and style of a comic by Toriyama Akira it can be hard to break away and do something new.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MadSaiyantist
Beyond Newbie

Post by MadSaiyantist » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:12 pm

TheMikado wrote:No, it was arguably wildly successful and an international stand out which had spanned generations and decades and spawned the modern shonen era precisely due in part to that aspect.
He's not deeming Dragon Ball Z a complete failure. Every show has its flaws. Did Dbz have too much fighting?

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:05 pm

MadSaiyantist wrote:
TheMikado wrote:No, it was arguably wildly successful and an international stand out which had spanned generations and decades and spawned the modern shonen era precisely due in part to that aspect.
He's not deeming Dragon Ball Z a complete failure. Every show has its flaws. Did Dbz have too much fighting?
That's not at all what I suggested. What I said is that an aspect that made DBZ successful is it's fights. There's a chance that with reduced fight sequences DBZ may not have been nearly as popular

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:12 pm

Not at all, but failed by creating a power escalation in enemies.
There wasn't any need for Cell or Buu to be thousands times more stronger than each other. What's lacked was some kind of creativity in the whole mechanics.
Cell and Buu could have been strong as Frieza, but with different challenge than "power level" thing.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:59 pm

I don't think it "failed" at anything but I wish it would've had more character interactions and everyday life scenes.
TheMikado wrote:There's a chance that with reduced fight sequences DBZ may not have been nearly as popular
The anime industry would be very different today if Z wasn't the mega hit that it is.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:15 am

Its a martial arts manga/anime. Plot, characterization, high concepts, etc. certainly all matter a great deal; but at the end of the day when all's said and done this is a genre that's fundamentally at its root core about fighting, training, secret techniques, and so forth. Asking that a martial arts series have less of an emphasis on martial arts is like asking a space opera film to have less spaceships or a horror movie to have less scary imagery or a Western to have less horses, dusty towns, and cowboy hats. At a certain point you're just defeating the entire purpose of the whole enterprise.
sintzu wrote:I don't think it "failed" at anything but I wish it would've had more character interactions and everyday life scenes.
JulieYBM wrote:Any problem is not due to the 'high amount' of battles but the small amount of ordinary life scenes.
Super has already done more than its fair share of that type of domestic "day in the life of" material, and its been utterly soul-deadening. More episodes centering on insipid cookouts and shopping trips is as much the antithesis of Dragon Ball as anything else I can think of. This isn't a sitcom.

Let the simple kung fu manga/anime just be a simple kung fu manga/anime.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Friezacooler
Regular

Post by Friezacooler » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:24 am

sintzu wrote:I don't think it "failed" at anything but I wish it would've had more character interactions and everyday life scenes.
TheMikado wrote:There's a chance that with reduced fight sequences DBZ may not have been nearly as popular
The anime industry would be very different today if Z wasn't the mega hit that it is.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:39 am

World building. A balance between fighting and exploring the Dragon World would have been great. The RRA arc is a very good example of it.

- Travis

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:46 am

Honestly, yes. I love a large portion of Dragon Ball Z, but show really dropped the ball with the cast by never going into that much depth in the character or backstory department beyond certain cast members and the world building was quite frankly awful. Earth just feels like such a barren wasteland of nothingness in Z.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:50 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Honestly, yes. I love a large portion of Dragon Ball Z, but show really dropped the ball with the cast by never going into that much depth in the character or backstory department beyond certain cast members and the world building was quite frankly awful. Earth just feels like such a barren wasteland of nothingness in Z.
It's amazing how its gotten to the point where we have a multiverse with infinite possibilities and yet feels so small and empty at the same time. It doesn't help that their recently introduced alternate universe is just the main one with a few different bells and whistles. Yeah yeah I know they're "sister universes" but Toriyama doesn't obey some omnipotent God that makes up the rules for him, he could've just written them as proper AUs but instead went the lazy route.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:54 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Honestly, yes. I love a large portion of Dragon Ball Z, but show really dropped the ball with the cast by never going into that much depth in the character or backstory department beyond certain cast members and the world building was quite frankly awful. Earth just feels like such a barren wasteland of nothingness in Z.
It's amazing how its gotten to the point where we have a multiverse with infinite possibilities and yet feels so small and empty at the same time. It doesn't help that their recently introduced alternate universe is just the main one with a few different bells and whistles. Yeah yeah I know they're "sister universes" but Toriyama doesn't obey some omnipotent God that makes up the rules for him, he could've just written them as proper AUs but instead went the lazy route.
I don't think this is the fault of having "too much fighting" though, it's simply Toriyama who doesn't care enough.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:04 am

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
I don't think this is the fault of having "too much fighting" though, it's simply Toriyama who doesn't care enough.
I wouldn't say he doesn't care. I just don't think he's willing think outside of the box that much. I mean, by his admission, the FOG TV special, which ranks amongst one of the best stories told in Dragon Ball, is something he would never write. That kind of storytelling is just not his style. Toriyama is the kind of guy who just prefers to play it safe.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:22 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Super has already done more than its fair share of that type of domestic "day in the life of" material, and its been utterly soul-deadening. More episodes centering on insipid cookouts and shopping trips is as much the antithesis of Dragon Ball as anything else I can think of. This isn't a sitcom.

Let the simple kung fu manga/anime just be a simple kung fu manga/anime.
Dragon Ball Super is a series built with no time or staff to actually pull off these low-key episodes with any gusto, so I wouldn't say the series is a particularly great example of what one can do outside of the clutches of narrative.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:17 am

Lord Beerus wrote: I wouldn't say he doesn't care. I just don't think he's willing think outside of the box that much. I mean, by his admission, the FOG TV special, which ranks amongst one of the best stories told in Dragon Ball, is something he would never write. That kind of storytelling is just not his style. Toriyama is the kind of guy who just prefers to play it safe.
That reminds me, does anyone know who wrote the FOG special? Was it a combination of writers or just one person?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:30 am

Bansho64 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: I wouldn't say he doesn't care. I just don't think he's willing think outside of the box that much. I mean, by his admission, the FOG TV special, which ranks amongst one of the best stories told in Dragon Ball, is something he would never write. That kind of storytelling is just not his style. Toriyama is the kind of guy who just prefers to play it safe.
That reminds me, does anyone know who wrote the FOG special? Was it a combination of writers or just one person?
Check the main Kanzenshuu website. All of the credits for the franchise are on it.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:31 am

The only thing is that I think it dramatizing the opponents power too much imo in the Buu arc
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:27 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Check the main Kanzenshuu website. All of the credits for the franchise are on it.
It doesn't show the writers for that particular special :( Thank you though.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:08 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote: Check the main Kanzenshuu website. All of the credits for the franchise are on it.
It doesn't show the writers for that particular special :( Thank you though.
You mean the first TV special, right? The scenario is by Koyama Takao and Sumisawa Katsuyuki.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter