Did any dub try to censor General Blue's sexuality?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: Did any dub try to censor General Blue's sexuality?

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:44 pm

At least in my manga copy, they changed Yamcha's line from not being a lolicon to not having a lolita complex, which is similar, in a way.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:12 pm

Lolicon is short for Lolita Complex its exactly the same.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:40 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:Honestly, I didn't see the big deal with Blue being attracted to Obotchaman. It might make him a pedophile, but it wasn't in a creepy or negative way... if that makes sense. Like, he wasn't looking to rape the kid. He said Obotchaman was "his type" and actually wanted to take the kid out on a date. That's much more gentlemanly than the term "pedophile" would imply. I actually thought it was funny.
If a grown man sees a child as "his type" that's immediate grounds for pedophilia considering Blue tried to kiss him right after thinking that
Pedophilia isn't strictly raping kids
Yes, I stated that it makes him a pedophile. My point was that he's not necessarily a creepy or bad pedophile if he wanted to take Obotchaman out on a romantic date.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:37 pm

"Backs Away Slowly"

So... did people forget Funimation did an uncut version and an edited version? I think they only toned him down and his sexuality in the edited version.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:01 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:"Backs Away Slowly"

So... did people forget Funimation did an uncut version and an edited version? I think they only toned him down and his sexuality in the edited version.
The dialog is pretty much identical in both versions... Even in the uncut version, he isn't nearly as outright gay, and is never directly stated to be like in the Japanese script, and in both versions he thinks the boy from Dr. Slump is his long lost brother.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:11 pm

nickzambuto wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:Honestly, I didn't see the big deal with Blue being attracted to Obotchaman. It might make him a pedophile, but it wasn't in a creepy or negative way... if that makes sense. Like, he wasn't looking to rape the kid. He said Obotchaman was "his type" and actually wanted to take the kid out on a date. That's much more gentlemanly than the term "pedophile" would imply. I actually thought it was funny.
If a grown man sees a child as "his type" that's immediate grounds for pedophilia considering Blue tried to kiss him right after thinking that
Yes, I stated that it makes him a pedophile. My point was that he's not necessarily a creepy or bad pedophile if he wanted to take Obotchaman out on a romantic date.
Umm you're raising red flags. A grown man isn't creepy for wanting to a Obotchaman ( a kid ) on a date??? Pedophiles aren't creepy if they're "romantic"???

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:39 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Umm you're raising red flags. A grown man isn't creepy for wanting to a Obotchaman ( a kid ) on a date??? Pedophiles aren't creepy if they're "romantic"???
I'm just going to play devils advocate and try to assume and look at this in a different light. Perhaps he meant that from the perspective of a pedophile they aren't being "creepy"? From a normal persons perspective any way you look at it is seemingly unnatural and off putting. However, and this is just a guess, in a/some pedophiles mind/s they are for whatever reason simply attracted to children. For them it isn't necessarily odd since it may be a feeling that comes to them naturally. Obviously that doesn't make it acceptable or safe for the child. But assuming they aren't actively trying to trick the child or attempt to molest or rape etc, and they are from their perspective trying to make the equivalent of a "normal" romantic advancement towards them then I suppose I mean..... That isn't necessarily "creepy". Again it doesn't make it ok, but at least the intent may not necessarily be malicious.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:40 pm

Isn't Obotchaman a robot ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:49 pm

If he had smply said "Chill, Obotchaman's a robot!" I would indeed chill. But he didnt so...

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:55 pm

Obochaman's my favorite character in Dr. Slump! That aside, while he would technically be in his late teens or early 20's by that point, there's no way Blue knew that. If you REALLY want to play devil's advocate you could argue that Blue's age is never revealed either. Either way Obochaman's a robot and he's awesome. Blue's a villain and he's dead.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:00 pm

"Supposedly" according to the Dragon Ball wiki he's got a confirmed age of 28 at death. I have no idea what source they pulled that from.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:17 pm

ShaneisMC wrote:"Supposedly" according to the Dragon Ball wiki he's got a confirmed age of 28 at death. I have no idea what source they pulled that from.
Blue's age was revealed the the character bios of the Adventure Special guidebook. It might have been reprinted in later guides too, I don't remember, but it was definitely in the former as that bio was also where it was first revealed that Tao Pai Pai survived the grenade since Blue said he wasn't in Hell.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:51 pm

ShaneisMC wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
nickzambuto wrote: Yes, I stated that it makes him a pedophile. My point was that he's not necessarily a creepy or bad pedophile if he wanted to take Obotchaman out on a romantic date.
I'm just going to play devils advocate and try to assume and look at this in a different light. Perhaps he meant that from the perspective of a pedophile they aren't being "creepy"? From a normal persons perspective any way you look at it is seemingly unnatural and off putting. However, and this is just a guess, in a/some pedophiles mind/s they are for whatever reason simply attracted to children. For them it isn't necessarily odd since it may be a feeling that comes to them naturally. Obviously that doesn't make it acceptable or safe for the child. But assuming they aren't actively trying to trick the child or attempt to molest or rape etc, and they are from their perspective trying to make the equivalent of a "normal" romantic advancement towards them then I suppose I mean..... That isn't necessarily "creepy". Again it doesn't make it ok, but at least the intent may not necessarily be malicious.
It's totally creepy. Most child molesters aren't, like, violent cartoon villains or fat dirty guys in vans or whatever. They are usually someone the kid knows and trusts, and they behave very friendly because they want the kid to like them. General Blue's actions are much closer to those of a typical child molester than what you guys seem to be thinking of.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:14 pm

Muffin Man wrote:
ShaneisMC wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
It's totally creepy. Most child molesters aren't, like, violent cartoon villains or fat dirty guys in vans or whatever. They are usually someone the kid knows and trusts, and they behave very friendly because they want the kid to like them. General Blue's actions are much closer to those of a typical child molester than what you guys seem to be thinking of.
But he wasn't aiming to harm the child in any way.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:26 pm

nickzambuto wrote:But he wasn't aiming to harm the child in any way.
You do not appear to have a detailed-enough understanding of the scene in context OR the real-life parallels to accurately, comprehensively, and authoritatively have this conversation. I will at this point politely ask you to refrain from causing further harm by ending it here.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:33 pm

More than anything, the issue with that scene isn't that Blue is portrayed as a pedophile in and of itself. It's the offensive notion that someone at Toei took this camp gay character and just assumed it was totally kosher to add a scene of implied pedophilia, furthering a(n at-the-time prevalent) harmful stereotype that gay people are somehow dangerous or abnormal, rather than ... you know, exactly like straight people save for the gender they're attracted to, which is a total non-issue.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:38 pm

Cipher wrote:More than anything, the issue with that scene isn't that Blue is portrayed as a pedophile in and of itself. It's the offensive notion that someone at Toei took this camp gay character and just assumed it was totally kosher to add a scene of implied pedophilia, furthering a(n at-the-time prevalent) harmful stereotype that gay people are somehow dangerous or abnormal, rather than ... you know, exactly like straight people save for the gender they're attracted to, which is a total non-issue.
Exactly. It was a "one off/anime only" thing so it doesn't hurt his character at all to me, I just took issue with him trying to justify it as not that bad

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:45 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Exactly. It was a "one off/anime only" thing so it doesn't hurt his character at all to me, I just took issue with him trying to justify it as not that bad
Oh totally. I don't think of that scene when I think of Blue's character either, since it was just a (really bad) Toei addition.

And yeah, I was just getting at why that scene is such a poor inclusion regardless of how predatory he appears. It's a tasteless gag that plays on some really backward, paranoid notions of what constitutes homosexuality.

And yeah, yeah, Obatchaman is a robot and technically god knows how old at that point, but no one was forcing the scriptwriter's hand to include an object of Blue's affection who is visually (and mentally) a young boy. It just serves to further other his character over his sexuality and reinforce all sorts of negative views.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:06 pm

I'm kinda glad Funi did that. The General Blue crap with Kuririn was creepy as it was and it's one of the few things I feel they did right.
Last edited by Bansho64 on Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Cipher wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Exactly. It was a "one off/anime only" thing so it doesn't hurt his character at all to me, I just took issue with him trying to justify it as not that bad
Oh totally. I don't think of that scene when I think of Blue's character either, since it was just a (really bad) Toei addition.

And yeah, I was just getting at why that scene is such a poor inclusion regardless of how predatory he appears. It's a tasteless gag that plays on some really backward, paranoid notions of what constitutes homosexuality.

And yeah, yeah, Obatchaman is a robot and technically god knows how old at that point, but no one was forcing the scriptwriter's hand to include an object of Blue's affection who is visually (and mentally) a young boy. It just serves to further other his character over his sexuality and reinforce all sorts of negative views.
He may be an adult but he looks 5-6, which is my problem. If he looked like Android 16 for example it would just be funny and not creepy lol