Questions regarding Syndication era bumpers for DBZ

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Questions regarding Syndication era bumpers for DBZ

Post by Kakacarrottop » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:06 am

Okay, some of you may have seen this infamous clip on Youtube with all those mid-90s children doing lame commercial bumpers for the Ocean/Saban dub. I'm just wondering if these were used throughout the entire dub, or just for the Saiyan Saga (or even less). On Rock the Dragon Edition (which is by far the most faithful release of the Saban dub) they are mysteriously absent, in fact there are no bumpers at all for the Saiyan Saga. In the RTD edition Namek Saga they have these bumpers using the same hyper techno music, but which feature Doc Harris and animation footage which was originally from the Japanese bumpers.

Also, does anyone know about the origin for that weird CGI bumper with Doc Harris shouting "Stand by for Dragon Ball Z!". It was clearly made during the Saban era, yet the earliest usage appears to be on DVDs for FUNi's in-house dub.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Milton
Patreon Supporter

Re: Questions regarding Syndication era bumpers for DBZ

Post by Milton » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:46 pm

I'm fairly certain that THOSE bumpers were only used during the first season of the Ocean Dub. During the second season, those Doc Harris bumpers aired along with another featuring Peter Kelamis as Goku.

If I had to guess, I'd imagine that those bumpers you linked to weren't included because of the guy in the TV. He's Gregg Bullock, mostly known for playing Lt. Stone in the third season of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and Power Rangers Zeo. Chances are it would have cost FUNimation more just to include him.

Finally, that CGI bumper played during season 2 just before the theme song began. I remember them adding that into those early DVDs...seems so long ago.