Chris Sabat reveals another reason why the music was changed. (and is open to changing Super's score)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Chris Sabat reveals another reason why the music was changed. (and is open to changing Super's score)

Post by TVfan721 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:41 am

Earlier this year, Sabat did an interview with Geekdom 101 and said that the audio quality of the Japanese score that Funimation was very poor with a lot of hissing/background noise which was one of the reasons it was changed. Given what else we know about what Funimation got from Toei (or lack of rather) I guess this story could be true. Amazingly, Sabat said he wouldn't be against altering Super's score because he thinks American's still have a different taste for music to some degree. Seriously makes you wonder if the main reason Toei is holding out from giving Super to Funi is because they're afraid they'll make alterations to it. That's a topic for the Super section though. Interesting interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRpfwzqvvJA

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Re: Chris Sabat reveals another reason why the music was changed. (and is open to changing Super's score)

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:57 am

Nah, I do not think he would change the music. TOEI is probably looking for a TV, like with Buu Kai.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Chris Sabat reveals another reason why the music was changed. (and is open to changing Super's score)

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:58 am

From what I know of that side of the business (which I admit is pretty limited), Toei would have to sign off on anything like that anyway - FUNi couldn't just change the musical score without an okay from the Japanese side of things. While I'd imagine Toei would actually probably sign off on such a thing again no problem (I mean, they did once before, so...), I doubt there'd be a whole lot of interest in doing so this time around. They shouldn't have an issue with white noise or the like in the newer music files surely.

I'd imagine Sabat meant that bit more so in kind of a 'his personal opinion' way rather than as something they were seriously considering. Worst case scenario though, I could see this happening.

1) TV broadcast of Super meant to draw new kids into the franchise has some light edits and a new musical score to accompany it.
2) Eventual uncut home releases of series ends up like the re-releases of Z and GT have, where we have 3 different audio tracks - an English dub with the new score, an English dub with the original score, and the original Japanese.

But I have a hard time seeing history repeating itself quite that way again personally.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:09 am

TVfan721 wrote:Amazingly, Sabat said he wouldn't be against altering Super's score because he thinks American's still have a different taste for music to some degree.
I think the music in DBS could easily pass as a modern American soundtrack. It reminds me of the stock electronic music you hear in reality TV shows. Most people don't even have a problem with it, since they don't see Super as being all edgy hardcore like Funi's DBZ and DBGT.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:41 am

There is a better chance of Ocean Kai getting released than the Super Funimation dub having an American-produced replacement score.

To me Sabat's comment came off as a hypothetical last resort type scenario, hence he wouldn't be opposed to the music "to an extent". For example if there was another music scandal and the Western fanbase didn't like TOEI's choice of a replacement score or music placement Funimation could hire a composer to do an alternate score that could be offered as an option on the home releases. Even then it's unlikely.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:04 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:Nah, I do not think he would change the music. TOEI is probably looking for a TV, like with Buu Kai.
Looking for a TV? Yep, I bet they're looking for a television...

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:11 pm

TVfan721 wrote:Earlier this year, Sabat did an interview with Geekdom 101 and said that the audio quality of the Japanese score that Funimation was very poor with a lot of hissing/background noise which was one of the reasons it was changed. Given what else we know about what Funimation got from Toei (or lack of rather) I guess this story could be true. Amazingly, Sabat said he wouldn't be against altering Super's score because he thinks American's still have a different taste for music to some degree. Seriously makes you wonder if the main reason Toei is holding out from giving Super to Funi is because they're afraid they'll make alterations to it. That's a topic for the Super section though. Interesting interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRpfwzqvvJA
I think the biggest problem with Super's score isn't that it is bad per say, but rather it's just so forgettable, there are maybe two tracks I can remember, whereas in Z and even 1-98 Kai there are many tracks that I can remember no problem. I think even Faulconer's score is more memorable (though better is another debate entirely).

Overall Sumitomo is just very underwhelming to me.
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:00 pm

thomas1up wrote:Overall Sumitomo is just very underwhelming to me.
He's very hit and and miss for me.

Like, I love the Battle of Gods score; I can remember almost every track off of that OST, yet I don't think I could hum barely anything from Resurrection 'F' and Super. Up until the Future Trunks arc, that is, where bizarrely everything has become as memorable as Battle of Gods.

Whether it's appropriate for Dragon Ball is another subject, I guess, and I'd probably say it's definitely not, even if I do like parts of it. At the same time, the show is the show and if I don't like something about it, well I guess I just don't like that part of the show. I don't think replacing the score is the right way to go about things.

Not that I wouldn't revel in hypocrisy should a Kikuchi replacement track magically exist
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:18 pm

Well a moderator replied to this and doesn't seem to have an issue, so it's fine with me but:

The main topic of this thread was what Sabat revealed about why the original soundtrack wasn't used for DBZ. I just put that info about Super as a sidenote, this isn't really the right section to be talking about that.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:55 pm

sangofe wrote:
ShadowBardock89 wrote:Nah, I do not think he would change the music. TOEI is probably looking for a TV, like with Buu Kai.
Looking for a TV? Yep, I bet they're looking for a television...
I meant to put in TV deal. :roll:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:01 pm

Could it be possible that when he says "alter Super's score" he means change the order or placement of some songs? (Particularly that "doo do doo do" song?)

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:00 pm

I'm sure that Barry Watson would have wanted to change the score even if the sound wasn't messed up. On the topic of Super's music, there is literally no chance of Funimation deciding to change the score. They are not that type of company anymore.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:08 pm

I don't want them to change Super's score at all, but if they replaced Buu Kai's OST with Kikuchi's music it would be a dream come true.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:35 pm

I would be inclined to believe Sabat and everything, but I'm not sure if he knew all the details, this not being his area of work, after all. The facts don't seem to add up. If the audio was that badly messed up, how did they not have any problems retaining the original score in Dragon Ball, which is even older than Z and GT? Nowhere in the interview does he even mention that fact that the bricks actually did restore the original music, essentially disproving this theory.

And I'm pretty sure he's just stating his own personal thoughts in regards to Super's score, hypothetically. He says he wouldn't have anything against it. That doesn't mean Funimation would ever go through with it. Absolutely zero chance of this happening.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:51 pm

As much as I dislike his way of thinking, I'm feeling sorry for him for the flaming he might get from purists, even if I'm one myself.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:14 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:I would be inclined to believe Sabat and everything, but I'm not sure if he knew all the details, this not being his area of work, after all. The facts don't seem to add up. If the audio was that badly messed up, how did they not have any problems retaining the original score in Dragon Ball, which is even older than Z and GT? Nowhere in the interview does he even mention that fact that the bricks actually did restore the original music, essentially disproving this theory.
In regards to when the score was originally replaced though is when he's saying they had bad files, which is pretty likely considering they apparently also had pretty awful subtitles to work with originally.

By the time of many, many years later though when they did the Season Sets and everything else, they likely at least had serviceable music files given to them by then. Same with the original DB, since they were already a pretty good way into Z by the time they even started on their in-house dub of DB.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:34 pm

TOEI is holding out giving Super to Funimation because they're waiting for Buu Kai (which was created for us in the first place) to air on TV so that they can follow it up with Super.

The whole 'Is Toei afraid Funimation will make alterations' is laughable. You give Toei way too much credit, as long as it makes money they'd be ok with anything, even what 4kids did to One Piece...

As far as the original score, I don't doubt that they did have awful source material but I doubt that was the key motivation behind replacing it, probably just a part of it.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:28 pm

qjz123 wrote:TOEI is holding out giving Super to Funimation because they're waiting for Buu Kai (which was created for us in the first place) to air on TV so that they can follow it up with Super.

The whole 'Is Toei afraid Funimation will make alterations' is laughable. You give Toei way too much credit, as long as it makes money they'd be ok with anything, even what 4kids did to One Piece...

As far as the original score, I don't doubt that they did have awful source material but I doubt that was the key motivation behind replacing it, probably just a part of it.
And the unnecessary shitting that you're giving Toei is laughable. They actually DO care about the franchise more than you might think and they care a lot more now about the dubs being faithful. Were talking about a company here that gave Funimation a hard time because they wanted to keep the "It's over 9000" line rather than the accurate 8000 line.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:13 am

Toei does care more about Money than any faithfulness, watch Glitter Force. Sure they did an awesome faithful dub of the first Pretty Cure...

...WAIT A MINUTE.

Oh wait! I forgot, they yanked Digimon from Saban and did an awesomely faitful dub for Adventure Tri. So you might truly be onto something. I really hope one day they will yank the Pretty Cure franchise from Saban also.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:20 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
In regards to when the score was originally replaced though is when he's saying they had bad files, which is pretty likely considering they apparently also had pretty awful subtitles to work with originally.

By the time of many, many years later though when they did the Season Sets and everything else, they likely at least had serviceable music files given to them by then. Same with the original DB, since they were already a pretty good way into Z by the time they even started on their in-house dub of DB.
It makes sense, but something still doesn't add up. Literally the first thing they dubbed in-house, Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle, actually kept the original score. Granted, It's possible that the movies might've had better files, though, and they simply replaced the music for the Z movies out of habit. We know for a fact that they did this with GT, after all.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Toei does care more about Money than any faithfulness, watch Glitter Force. Sure they did an awesome faithful dub of the first Pretty Cure...

...WAIT A MINUTE.

Oh wait! I forgot, they yanked Digimon from Saban and did an awesomely faitful dub for Adventure Tri. So you might truly be onto something. I really hope one day they will yank the Pretty Cure franchise from Saban also.
Wasn't Toei directly responsible for Data Squad, though? It was treated like any other series, wasn't it?

Still, I think this opinion is a little unexpected coming from Sabat, assuming we've interpreted it correctly. Especially considering Sean Schemmel seems to be very against changing things.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."