What happened with the Japanese audio on the Blu-rays?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

What happened with the Japanese audio on the Blu-rays?

Post by TVfan721 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:25 pm

Funimation "cleaned up" the audio for the Japanese version on the Blu Ray's but I don't know if I would call it an improvement. It's sharper, no doubt about that but it makes your ears hurt. It's sharp but it has abit of a "nails on a chalkboard" vibe, it's scratchy. It's actually hard to explain but it's difficult to listen to for long periods of time. What did Funimation do to alter the audio and do you consider it an improvement?

Bansho64
I Live Here

Re: What happened with the Japanese audio on the Blu-Ray's?

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:50 pm

TVfan721 wrote: It's sharper, no doubt about that but it makes your ears hurt. It's sharp but it has abit of a "nails on a chalkboard" vibe, it's scratchy. It's actually hard to explain but it's difficult to listen to for long periods of time.
I know exactly what you mean. I don't know what exactly they did to it but I honestly wouldn't consider it an improvement. I'd rather take the Japanese Dragon Box audio over it.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:53 am

Though I don't have enough audio expertise to give a thorough technical explanation, I did work at my college radio station for a year and a half, and my best guess is that Funimation played with the EQ levels to adjust certain frequencies, making everything sound less muffled. (Again, not a technical description).

I had to do a lot of EQ tweaking when working with telephone interviews, for example, to dampen all the buzzing and interference you get from those kinds of recordings. Basically, anything to make it presentable for the airwaves.

It was a rather tricky process, even with digital tools, though frankly I was pretty crappy at it, learning how to use the ProTools software on the job. (Here's a random tutorial for anyone interested). I'm sure professionals can get much better results, without distorting or oversharpening the base audio too much. Whether or not Funimation succeeded with the Blu-ray soundtrack depends on the ear listening, I guess. Personal opinion, and all that.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:36 am

I believe they boosted the higher end frequencies. There is a range, I believe 4 kHz, that causes the inner ear to react sharply to it causing discomfort.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:58 am

It's fine to me. I've never experienced Japanese audio from any other source except for a few broadcast clips, probably it I guess.

Watched like 3hrs of the S3 last week didn't experience any problems was actually surprised it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, (I got it my head from reading comments here and there that the Non Broadcast audio was unhearable) I actually do like how muffled it sounds helps brings the series age out.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:43 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Watched like 3hrs of the S3 last week didn't experience any problems was actually surprised it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, (I got it my head from reading comments here and there that the Non Broadcast audio was unhearable)
The non-broadcast audio is far from unhearable, unfortunately because Toei decided to use optical as their backup source for audio (instead of using a proper archival media that both retains high audio fidelity and saves massive space) the quality is extremely muffled and hissy in comparison making it somewhat hard to make out some of the things the characters say at times (it's primarily a problem whenever a word involves using the sound the letter S makes, the muffle and hiss tends to bleed into those words more than the others since the S sound is similar in sound to the muffle and hiss making those words harder to make out).
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:15 pm

Attitudefan wrote:I believe they boosted the higher end frequencies. There is a range, I believe 4 kHz, that causes the inner ear to react sharply to it causing discomfort.
Yeah, I've got quite good hearing (in school, when I was a kid, a teacher did a frequency hearing test in class to explain the damage loud music can cause to kids' ears, and I could hear every pitch, and most kids, who always blared their earphones, couldn't), and the Blu-ray audio is very piercing to my ears, and it's very unpleasant.

Just another reason for me to avoid those sets, despite finally having an HDTV. :mrgreen:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:25 pm

I know the Season Blu-Rays have the "enhanced" Japanese audio, the Funi Dragon Boxes use the Toei Dragon Box audio without any changes with the possible (not 100% sure) exception of recompression, and the Japanese audio of the Funi Singles and Orange Bricks are pretty much unmodified, sounding only slightly worse than the Dragon Box JP audio...

What about the Level Blu-Ray sets compared with the Season Blu-Rays? Do they also have "enhanced" JP audio? Is the JP audio the same between the two sets? Is the JP audio not enhanced in the Level Blu-Rays, and kept the same for the Season Blu-Rays, but post Level Blu-Ray episodes begin with the "enhancements"?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:11 pm

Danfun64 wrote:What about the Level Blu-Ray sets compared with the Season Blu-Rays? Do they also have "enhanced" JP audio? Is the JP audio the same between the two sets? Is the JP audio not enhanced in the Level Blu-Rays, and kept the same for the Season Blu-Rays, but post Level Blu-Ray episodes begin with the "enhancements"?
To the best of my knowledge the Level sets use the same audio source as the DBOX (presumably the uncompressed Toei DBOX audio for "higher quality") or the OB's (honestly both audio tracks sound so similar in quality that I honestly can't tell them apart very much if at all)
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:18 pm

This is what happened to the audio:

High frequencies above 5kHz were not only boosted, but new information above 9-10kHz appeared - this means that they used different audio source than Dragon Box.
Check this out: Sample 1 (DBox vs Season)
Guitar on the Season sets does not buzz as much as it does on Dragon Box.

Hell only knows what exactly did they do, but I would say that they just rescanned the optical tracks from photographic film prints with better equipment.
Audio track on the Blu-ray Seasons is definitely better.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:23 am

Out of curiosity, how much of the "new information" comes from 1. Being lossless or 2. Noise added from Funi's film masters being several generations separates from Toei's first gen masters?
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:30 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Out of curiosity, how much of the "new information" comes from 1. Being lossless or 2. Noise added from Funi's film masters being several generations separates from Toei's first gen masters?
1. Nothing. 448Kbps for monophonic source with frequency range up to 11-12kHz gives almost lossless audio. For example, 96kHz 16 bit PCM audio with frequency range up to 11kHz requires 466Kbps to be stored lossless (FLAC).
You can make a comparison: Compress the lossless audio with 448Kbps Dolby Digital and see for yourself :)

2. Optical copying does not add that much of a noise. By the way, how can you know which generation FUNi masters are? :P You can easily hear thet the "information" is not only noise.
But still - with this source, the most of what you have at 11-12kHz is noise, distortions and harmonics.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:35 pm

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:By the way, how can you know which generation FUNi masters are? :P
I don't. It's just a guess...

Even so, it probably isn't that close to the first gen masters.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: What happened with the Japanese audio on the Blu-rays?

Post by genjosanzo8 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:42 am

is it possible that funi's audio are original one but with bad treatment?

Funi's Dragon Ball DVD japanese audio are they better too?

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:01 pm

genjosanzo8 wrote:is it possible that funi's audio are original one but with bad treatment?

Funi's Dragon Ball DVD japanese audio are they better too?
Definitely not, apart from the fact that FUNi aquired the Dragon Ball license ten years after the series started, by which point the original masters were long gone. I distinctly remember an entire episode in the orange bricks in which the audio was completely muffled, I believe it was around the days of peace before Cell Games.

Also, it's been a while since I've watched the Blue Bricks but I don't remember them sounding any better than the DBOX
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:11 pm

i was wondering about the japanese audio of the first serie only (not z) if funi japanese audio are better than dbox

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:29 am

It's not better, but it's probably not much worse, either.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:54 am

ok thanks a lot