DBGT mentioned as a popular but disappointing anime

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

DBGT mentioned as a popular but disappointing anime

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:09 pm

https://myanimelist.net/featured/1769/1 ... nd_of_Suck

In GT's defense, most of the other shows mentioned are harem anime.

But it was classed as an anime sequel, that couldn't match what DB and Z did.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: DBGT mentioned as a popular but disappointing anime

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:22 pm

Meh. I'm sorry, but a blog by someone named "Littoface" isn't really authoritative -- no more than a YouTube comment anyway. Now if a TV company wrote something like that, it would be a little different. By the way, hilarious that a picture from Dragon Ball Z was used.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:38 pm

Don't want to sound like an asshole, but I don't think the opinion of one blogger of MyAnimeList should be taken with any kind of levity.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:55 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Don't want to sound like an asshole, but I don't think the opinion of one blogger of MyAnimeList should be taken with any kind of levity.
I think it should be taken with absolute levity.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:34 pm

DBGT was one of my favorites. I loved it! :thumbup:
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:34 am

It has Dragon Ball's name so that'll make it popular by default.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:44 am

GT was not that popular in Japan when it was airing from what I was told. GT did well on Toonami in the US, but nowhere on the same level as DBZ. The DB fans I knew in Middle School and High School when it was airing, was like "Meh" to GT.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:53 am

Cipher wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Don't want to sound like an asshole, but I don't think the opinion of one blogger of MyAnimeList should be taken with any kind of levity.
For those who don't know, "levity" is an antonym of "serious". In fact, it's defined by dictionary.com as...
noun, plural levities.
lightness of mind, character, or behavior; lack of appropriate seriousness or earnestness.
an instance or exhibition of this.
fickleness.
lightness in weight.
So when Lord Beerus says it should NOT be taken with any kind of levity, he's accidentally stating that "MyAnimeList" should be taken 100% seriously. Not what he probably intended to communicate, but, there you go :P
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:29 am

I figured, lol.

Anyway I think Lord Beerus meant GRAVITAS.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:46 pm

Fionordequester wrote:
Cipher wrote:
For those who don't know, "levity" is an antonym of "serious". In fact, it's defined by dictionary.com as...
noun, plural levities.
lightness of mind, character, or behavior; lack of appropriate seriousness or earnestness.
fickleness.
lightness in weight.
So when Lord Beerus says it should NOT be taken with any kind of levity, he's accidentally stating that "MyAnimeList" should be taken 100% seriously. Not what he probably intended to communicate, but, there you go :P
Yeah, there you go. I'm a fucking idiot. And I can't edit the post either. I suck. :oops:

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:59 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Fionordequester wrote:
Cipher wrote:
noun, plural levities.
fickleness.
lightness in weight.
Yeah, there you go. I'm a fucking idiot. And I can't edit the post either. I suck. :oops:
Aren't you forgetting you are a God of Destruction? :P

Also could I ask if you could destroy Ash57 with the same technique you had used to destroy Present Zamasu with? :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:28 pm

Steven Bloodriver wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Fionordequester wrote:

Also could I ask if you could destroy Ash57 with the same technique you had used to destroy Present Zamasu with? :lol:
I just can't abuse my powers like that. :P

Unless there's something in it for me... :wink:

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:33 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Steven Bloodriver wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Yeah, there you go. I'm a fucking idiot. And I can't edit the post either. I suck. :oops:

I just can't abuse my powers like that. :P

Custard or banana pudding? :lol:

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:20 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: I just can't abuse my powers like that. :P

Meh, let's just say "be easier on yourself". Everyone makes a mistake once in a while; for example, I used to think "Mofo" was the term used for "Afro". I didn't realize my mistake until I visited my African-American cousins, and asked the older one "Hey, when did you get that mofo on your head? I like it!"
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

olympia

Post by olympia » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:12 am

Isn't that a screenshot from Z or one of the movies? That's what bothers me the most.
Last edited by olympia on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:15 am

I used to think "Mofo" was the term used for "Afro". I didn't realize my mistake until I visited my African-American cousins, and asked the older one "Hey, when did you get that mofo on your head? I like it!"
This is legitimately the funniest thing I've read all day. Thank you for posting this. :lol: