Japanese Dragon Box!!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

TLM Reviews

Japanese Dragon Box!!

Post by TLM Reviews » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:07 pm

Hello I was wondering if the JAP dragon boxes are even worth having in my collection to watch and for collection purposes?? I have the FUNI Dragon boxes, but wasn't sure if the JAP ones are worth t too?? Thanks

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REG

Re: Japanese Dragon Box!!

Post by superrayman3 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:28 pm

TLM Reviews wrote:Hello I was wondering if the JAP dragon boxes are even worth having in my collection to watch and for collection purposes?? I have the FUNI Dragon boxes, but wasn't sure if the JAP ones are worth t too?? Thanks
Depends on what you're after, if you're wanting the best official DVD quality release available with plenty of extra material that the FUNi DBOX's omitted, then yes they are also worth owning for collecting and viewing purposes, however if you're just wanting a great quality version of the DBZ series that includes the NEP's and original Japanese opening and credit sequences for a closer authentic Japanese viewing experience, then the FUNi DBOX's should be sufficient enough, it really depends on if you think the extra content would justify hunting them down (it's worth noting the FUNi versions are pretty close to the Japanese ones with a just little more compression and some (although barely noticeable) macroblocking due to the extra compression FUNi applied to their version to fit an extra episode and the english dub on each disc so there's that) it might be best to do a little research, and screenshot comparrisons to see if that would be a factor (the main site actually has some screenshot comparisons in their Dragon Box Z: The Comparison feature).
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:31 am

Well, DB, the movies, and GT is only put in Japan for dboxes...

French db boxes are a good alternative. But the Toei boxes are superior.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:22 pm

If you've got the money, have the crazy collector's sickness like I have, and would ever even watch them without English subtitles, then go for it.

Personally, I am a ridiculous collector and have a problem where I need everything. I was itching for the Dragon Boxes and finally, a lot of money later, I got them. And... they look nice. But I can honestly tell you that I never really watch them. So far, they're just a cute little display piece. And I've had them for years at this point.