GT or Super? Which one is the best?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball GT or Dragon Ball Super? Which one is the best?

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:39 pm

kinisking wrote:I think the BoG arc was also executed well. If someone told me in 2010 we'd have an arc in Dragonball with an over powered cat that's obssessed with food, I'd be annoyed. Yet I think the arc is great if you ignore the fact that it was a movie first.
But then there is that darned movie, and unfortunately, it showed us everything that the BoG Arc was could have been better with just a little extra time. Not mentioning the things that the arc unarguably ruined; Pilaf, pregnancy reveal, etc. The only thing I can think that was an improvement was the cruise setting.

Sorry, but I can't ignore that it was a (great) movie first.
Retired.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:45 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
kinisking wrote:I think the BoG arc was also executed well. If someone told me in 2010 we'd have an arc in Dragonball with an over powered cat that's obssessed with food, I'd be annoyed. Yet I think the arc is great if you ignore the fact that it was a movie first.
But then there is that darned movie, and unfortunately, it showed us everything that the BoG Arc was could have been better with just a little extra time. Not mentioning the things that the arc unarguably ruined; Pilaf, pregnancy reveal, etc. The only thing I can think that was an improvement was the cruise setting.

Sorry, but I can't ignore that it was a (great) movie first.
Pilaf is such a minor thing that I don't really care. Also, I fucking hate pilaf so I like that they pushed them to the side.

The pregnancy reveal was done better, I'll admit.

Everything else though was great though. Goku vs Beerus was done better than the movie the second time imo, episodes 1-3 ease you better into how life's been after boo, episode 6 was a master piece imo and the humor was better than the bingo dance which was cringe imo, Beerus seemed more of a threat , and SSG had a great transformation sequence even if it was too long. It was executed well, even if the movie was executed better.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:48 pm

kinisking wrote:The bingo dance was cringe imo.
That was the point.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: GT or Super? Which one is the best?

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:50 pm

Agree to disagree I guess. I liked the original, short Beerus fight better, and whether I enjoy the Pilaf Gang or not, in DBS, they were just there to fill time in a variety of extraordinarily superfluous ways. They actually had a role in the movie. As far as SoL, obviously a weekly series has the advantage, but it's still not a necessary component, so I have a hard time judging based on that. Especially so when the movie's character interactions were pretty good, themselves. I'm not really concerned with the humor, both were okay if you ask me.
Retired.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:58 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I liked the original short Beerus fight better.
The fight itself was better and there were a lot more enviornments than the arc's boring sea and space.

We got the sky area, the city, the woods, the caves and finally space.

I also like how the movie developed Goku and Vegeta by pointing out how they both put their pride aside for earth which I don't think was brought up in the arc.

The arc also creates a big plot hole by not explaining why Pilaf and co are kids.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:17 am

sintzu wrote:
kinisking wrote:The bingo dance was cringe imo.
That was the point.
That something is intentional does not mean you have to like it. You can still dislike it for the fact that it is cringeworthy.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Big Green The Yoshi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Green The Yoshi » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:24 am

This is like asking between Dr Pepper and RC Cola. Super may be inconsistent in quality because of the BOG and FNF Arcs, but it is far superior.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:28 am

kinisking wrote:And considering a lot of people think Zamasu is the best villian yet, I don't think he was executed badly Noah. Unless you mean his execution by the Omni king. Then yeah, not so great .
Well, I don't see people claiming this after the hype train of this arc was over, I think they realized Zamasu was just a good villain that had potential to be the best, but was wasted. His development went downhill with his repetitive lame "Gods > Mortals" speeches and his obsession with himself being a "beautiful god".
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:15 am

sintzu wrote:
successoroffate wrote:We don't know for how long was Super in the works before the announcement neither...do we?
No, but based on its quality when it started it couldn't have been long.
There is production artwork/character sheets being sold on Mandarake that the animators were using during the making of the early episodes and they are dated. The earliest I've seen goes to March, 2015.

Here's some.
http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/it ... dex=456693
Last edited by bleed0range on Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:19 am

Gog wrote: I was just venting a lot, I'm planning on watching GT later on, so don't take anything I say seriously.
How truly Gog-like!
:P
And thanks for the heads up, xD

It's funny, no matter how stupid and illogical I think Super is, it's still unbelievably charming, which makes up for the stupidity. GT is also unbelievably, unbelievably boring, that is, especially the first few episodes. I don't know anyone in real life who likes it and just recently a friend wanted to watch GT, but after the first few episodes his impression was the same as mine.
But he happily watches Super!

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:25 am

dbgtFO wrote:
Gog wrote: I was just venting a lot, I'm planning on watching GT later on, so don't take anything I say seriously.
How truly Gog-like!
:P
And thanks for the heads up, xD

It's funny, no matter how stupid and illogical I think Super is, it's still unbelievably charming, which makes up for the stupidity. GT is also unbelievably, unbelievably boring, that is, especially the first few episodes. I don't know anyone in real life who likes it and just recently a friend wanted to watch GT, but after the first few episodes his impression was the same as mine.
But he happily watches Super!
:shock: Have I been here for that long that people can reconise me from a mile? Anyhoo I do think that's the main problem from GT from what I've heard about it, that it's boring. But even with all of that I truly cannot judge, and I truly don't have any merit on the matter as I do need to watch the whole thing in the original japanese subs, as even Cetra told me too.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:36 am

Gog wrote:I do think that's the main problem from GT from what I've heard about it, that it's boring. But even with all of that I truly cannot judge, and I truly don't have any merit on the matter as I do need to watch the whole thing in the original japanese subs, as even Cetra told me too.
Skipping episodes 6-15 will make watching it easier.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:38 am

sintzu wrote:
Gog wrote:I do think that's the main problem from GT from what I've heard about it, that it's boring. But even with all of that I truly cannot judge, and I truly don't have any merit on the matter as I do need to watch the whole thing in the original japanese subs, as even Cetra told me too.
Skipping episodes 6-15 will make watching it easier.
Those episodes are crucial to the plot, though. I guess you could skip them, but it's a huge cop-out
Retired.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Those episodes are crucial to the plot, though. I guess you could skip them, but it's a huge cop-out
The problem with them is that they make watching a hard show to watch even harder.

I could be wrong but I remember episode 16 and after bringing up the important plot details that were mentioned in those episodes so it's not a huge loss.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:45 am

I don't know what people always are ranting about the first 20 episodes. The only one that annoys me a bit is the Zunama one because it is rip-off overkill³ for me. And even that is basically in a way mentioned in the episode.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:51 am

sintzu wrote:The problem with them is that they make watching a hard show to watch even harder.
They're still a central part of the show, I couldn't recommend skipping them even if I thought it was beneficial.
Retired.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:06 am

I still find GT more tolerable at its worse than Super overall. I personally find the majority of Super to be cringe for me. Way too much character regression, way too much Filler, most arcs being so poorly executed, the absurdity of some of the fight choreography and logic, along with the very disjointed story telling to the point where it feels like Super is its own contained universe. Its hard for me to find anything in Super that really improved on anything in the series at all. GT at least, at least progressed from Z as it conceptually it felt like the real transition from Z. With Super I really don't get the feeling the characters seem to be maturing at all with it not really going anywhere if most of the plot-lines are based on just Goku being bored. I'm going to reluctantly take GT over Super. Super just seems to lack innovation and too much of it is set on filler-esc plots now as if they really aren't trying to tell a story with the series anymore.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:57 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:With Super I really don't get the feeling the characters seem to be maturing at all with it not really going anywhere if most of the plot-lines are based on just Goku being bored .
Can you present a few examples, because I only remember the Monaka filler episode being because Goku was bored.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:43 am

I think I'm still gonna roll with GT on this one. There's just so many things I like more. Character designs, music, emotional moments, etc.

Trickster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trickster » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:00 am

Noah wrote:As a matter of fact, a fallen Kaioshin to be the main villain was a great idea, but executed poorly.
Tottally agree. His motivation is very broken. He didn't do anything really impactant on screen so we could see how bad he was, and the fact the Gowasu, a very experient Kaioshin, didn't realize that his student was a maniac homicidal is very inconsistent.

I have a Facebook group where me and my brazilian friends use to discuss about DB, and we were talking about this just yesterday. I could express me much better if it was in portuguese :lol: :lol:
Sorry for bad english. I'm not fluent in your language, so, if you want to correct some mistake of mine, please do it. I'll be grateful