GT or Super? Which one is the best?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: GT or Super? Which one is the best?

Post by Basaku » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:23 pm

Agree. Will take awfully produced retellings over big nothing that is GT's Black Star arc.

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:25 am

Super by far...
As for the re-telling's I've always suggested to just watch the 2 movies as the 2 arks were rushed in super, and to me super starts with the universal tournament ark.

My favorite ark to date is still the Goku Black arc, while I like the tournament of power it's starting get a little boring and thank god we're down to the last 2 universes.. 711 should sponsor the rest :D
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:21 am

YamiGoku wrote: The reetelings are far from perfect, and the Freeza Vs Goku fight on the RF arc, is (in my opinion) the worst super has given us.
but at last these two arc have: the slice of life episodes, beerus and whis, the Goku vs Beerus fights (ill take even the fixed version of episode 5 over any fight of the Black Star arc of GT) and has the Vegeta Blue vs Golden Freeza.

What does the Black Star Balls arc have?
Some of the most imaginative worlds youll ever see in Dragonball. Better slice of life episodes. I'll take new adventures with a new cast over reused food jokes any day of the week. Better plot and concepts some of which would be revisited in Super. It wasn't just an old villain seeking revenge like Freeza but a bunch of new adventures on different planets. The villains of the black star arc were more fleshed out and given unique abilities that made them threats without giving them huge powerups. Also really good art and animation all the way through. The Goku vs Freeza fight in rof was so bad no one bothered to upload it to Youtube or Toei intentionally had it removed so no one would see it.

Here are a few examples of GT's unique settings and great art (Courtesy of @YTWes and @Herms98): https://twitter.com/YTWes/status/815445813509943297 https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/785651325841264640
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/783710068160081923 https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/783753003941502976

We never got anything even close to this in the first two arcs.
YamiGoku wrote: the only thing I remember are, the cell wannabe on the first planet, wich didnt feel like something important, the dancing brothers, and the robot "god" thing who was defeated by base Goku and Pan?
the only thing closer to something remotly important i rememer is, Goku vs Rildo and the reveal of Baby, but how many episodes you have to watch before that?
Pretty much. Think the gag characters from the ToP arc but in an arc with more creative backgrounds, more developed characters, and better plot not centered around a fighting tournament. They're not just fodder that appear and then got knocked out of a ring a few seconds later

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:19 am

Timetraveller wrote:The Goku vs Freeza fight in rof was so bad no one bothered to upload it to Youtube or Toei intentionally had it removed so no one would see it.
That's not true at all.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:00 am

Timetraveller wrote:
YamiGoku wrote: The reetelings are far from perfect, and the Freeza Vs Goku fight on the RF arc, is (in my opinion) the worst super has given us.
but at last these two arc have: the slice of life episodes, beerus and whis, the Goku vs Beerus fights (ill take even the fixed version of episode 5 over any fight of the Black Star arc of GT) and has the Vegeta Blue vs Golden Freeza.

What does the Black Star Balls arc have?
Some of the most imaginative worlds youll ever see in Dragonball. Better slice of life episodes. I'll take new adventures with a new cast over reused food jokes any day of the week. Better plot and concepts some of which would be revisited in Super. It wasn't just an old villain seeking revenge like Freeza but a bunch of new adventures on different planets. The villains of the black star arc were more fleshed out and given unique abilities that made them threats without giving them huge powerups. Also really good art and animation all the way through. The Goku vs Freeza fight in rof was so bad no one bothered to upload it to Youtube or Toei intentionally had it removed so no one would see it.

Here are a few examples of GT's unique settings and great art (Courtesy of @YTWes and @Herms98): https://twitter.com/YTWes/status/815445813509943297 https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/785651325841264640
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/783710068160081923 https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/783753003941502976

We never got anything even close to this in the first two arcs.
YamiGoku wrote: the only thing I remember are, the cell wannabe on the first planet, wich didnt feel like something important, the dancing brothers, and the robot "god" thing who was defeated by base Goku and Pan?
the only thing closer to something remotly important i rememer is, Goku vs Rildo and the reveal of Baby, but how many episodes you have to watch before that?
Pretty much. Think the gag characters from the ToP arc but in an arc with more creative backgrounds, more developed characters, and better plot not centered around a fighting tournament. They're not just fodder that appear and then got knocked out of a ring a few seconds later
Imaginative worlds? ok... I never knew people watched a Dragon Ball series for that, but ok, too bad it didnt have the story or the characters

Better plot? what plot? just re-hashing the original DB premise, but instead of searching the balls on the Earth, they have to find them on different planets... mind blown...

"The villains of the black star arc were more fleshed out and given unique abilities that made them threats without giving them huge powerups"

1* More fleshed out? they were your typical villain of the week, I dont remember any of them having the screen time to be more than that, sure they had more than 1 episode, but they still didnt do something meaningful or had any real impact on the series; Beerus and Whis have the entire BOGs arc, and are way more interesting and impactful, and Frieza is already a known character.

2* threats? no one of them is remotely threatening, the only one close is Rildo, the rest is just fodder that were just allowed to exist because Goku didnt feel like killing them in 2 seconds

I give you the animation.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:21 am

Super has shifted around too many times to make this question easy to answer. The first two arcs of Super (anime) are mostly trash, but the next two arcs after that are pretty entertaining and almost everything from episode 69 forward has been great. I also hold the manga version in high regard. GT isn't as bad as a lot of people it out to be, but it suffers tremendously from being largely boring.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:07 pm

it suffers tremendously from being largely boring.
Which is one of the worst thing a piece of art can be - boring.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:19 pm

Having re-watched GT a little over a month ago, I find it to be a decent series. But I still find Super to be a superior show in most categories.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:37 pm

Black Star saga was in my opinion far superior to Super 17 saga and even more superior to what Super gave in first two arcs.
Well, some episodes were boring, especially the ones with huge worms and Luud. But the first planet and M2 were awesome. The same goes for the less dangerous places, like planet of giants or Tatooine. Also, there was really nice character development here, especially for Pan. There was no time for it in later arcs because all of them were full of action.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:04 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
hectorgf wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:
Well, Dragon Ball already have a universe and a logic inside it. Even if that logic isn't great, there are possible explanations for things like Trunks learning the Mafuba so fast as he did. Foreshadowing is not always necessary.

Also, can you list all or most of those episodical incoherences or big bullshits? Cause I don't remember of them being in every episode, really.

And, the "how to make a fanservice stuff" it seems to me more a personal thing than a problem. I really liked when, as the example I used before, Goku used the instant transmission Kamehameha on Toppo. It was obvious, but didn't affected the story, or the storytelling, or anything like it. It was just a reference that you can ignore or not.
Being honest, the only one that I think it passed the limit was that Genki-dama Sword Trunks used to defeat Merged Zamasu. That was purely based in the "power of friendship and humanbeing hopes", without many logical explanations even in the Dragon Ball universe. But well, even the original series did a few crap or weird stuff like that before. And I'm not counting GT or the old movies on that.

Things aren't that simple. So they can just appear with a third Goku son, that never appeared in Dragon Ball because he was training in another planet or that Bulma always had a sist-oh wait...It had already happened. Don't you see how poor is it? Even with the explanation, it's still really dumb and cheap.

Oh, don't get me wrong, this scene of the instant transmission was great too, because it was pretty fast, and it was coherent.

And of course I won't tell you every single error. It's almost 100 episodes so far.
But right now I remember these ones: The plot armor that Trunks and Mai got, Krillin and Goku getting hurt by a shot, Piccolo eating, Gohan telling Goku that he will become a father, but Goku already knew it, the paradox in Black arc.
The cheesy animation in DB Super looks like something you'd see on the Disney channel for toddlers. :lol: You can't take it seriously :lol: Now they've made Goku team up with Freeza :lol:

DBGT is way better.
I know this was posted almost a year ago, but could you please clarify what the hell that even means? Thanks.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sat May 05, 2018 12:25 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
The cheesy animation in DB Super looks like something you'd see on the Disney channel for toddlers. :lol: You can't take it seriously :lol: Now they've made Goku team up with Freeza :lol:

DBGT is way better.
I know this was posted almost a year ago, but could you please clarify what the hell that even means? Thanks.
It was probably just a silly and empty argument against Super. Saying the anime is for "toddlers" cannot be taken seriously.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sun May 06, 2018 10:16 am

JazzMazz wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
hectorgf wrote:
Things aren't that simple. So they can just appear with a third Goku son, that never appeared in Dragon Ball because he was training in another planet or that Bulma always had a sist-oh wait...It had already happened. Don't you see how poor is it? Even with the explanation, it's still really dumb and cheap.

Oh, don't get me wrong, this scene of the instant transmission was great too, because it was pretty fast, and it was coherent.

And of course I won't tell you every single error. It's almost 100 episodes so far.
But right now I remember these ones: The plot armor that Trunks and Mai got, Krillin and Goku getting hurt by a shot, Piccolo eating, Gohan telling Goku that he will become a father, but Goku already knew it, the paradox in Black arc.

DBGT is way better.
Oh, sorry for not clarifying myself. Basically, I think DBSuper is a polished turd (in other words, it’s terrible). Does that help? :P
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sun May 06, 2018 11:18 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote:Basically, I think DBSuper is a polished turd (in other words, it’s terrible). Does that help? :P
Then allow me to retork I think GT is an unpolished turd (in other words, a turd that isn't even polished), hope it helps lol

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sun May 06, 2018 1:54 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote:Basically, I think DBSuper is a polished turd (in other words, it’s terrible). Does that help? :P
Then allow me to retork I think GT is an unpolished turd (in other words, a turd that isn't even polished), hope it helps lol
What exactly are you helping me with? :lol: I didn’t ask nor do I care about your opinion on the matter. Guess I stuck a nerve.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sun May 06, 2018 3:13 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:Guess I stuck a nerve.
Not at all whilst unproductive your comment had me chuckle so I thought of returning the courtesy cheers lol

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sun May 06, 2018 6:12 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote:Guess I stuck a nerve.
Not at all whilst unproductive your comment had me chuckle so I thought of returning the courtesy cheers lol
No, I’m pretty sure you didn’t chuckle, so cut the crap :) . I’m not the one who asked for clarification on something I said a year ago. The difference between you and I is that I don’t care what anybody else thinks about my preference for this franchise, and neither should you.
My YouTube

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sun May 06, 2018 6:22 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: No, I’m pretty sure you didn’t chuckle, so cut the crap :)
You are pretty sure but I'm telling you, what the hell man,
I'm not the one who asked clarification either, I'm not making a deal out of this peace out lol

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sun May 06, 2018 9:43 pm

Basaku wrote:Agree. Will take awfully produced retellings over big nothing that is GT's Black Star arc.
Really? Awfully produced retellings which were also big nothings since there are already films out there that do a far better job showcasing the events?

At least the Black Star arc showcased new worlds and went back to the roots of exploration and adventure for a while. Granted it was pretty boring and direction of the show changed, but still.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon May 07, 2018 3:37 am

Rakurai wrote:Awfully produced retellings which were also big nothings since there are already films out there that do a far better job showcasing the events?
Actually it's two different versions of said events lol

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:16 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:
Rakurai wrote:Awfully produced retellings which were also big nothings since there are already films out there that do a far better job showcasing the events?
Actually it's two different versions of said events lol
Potato, potato.

Okay, that doesn't come across in text at all, but you know what I mean.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.