A female Saiyan may work in a domestic comedy

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

A female Saiyan may work in a domestic comedy

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:14 pm

A lot of the female fighters in DBZ tend to settle down later in life (Chi-Chi, 18, Videl) and leave the roughhousing to the men. I don't think it's unreasonable, since in the wild and wacky world of DBZ there needs to be some stability.

But what would perhaps be interesting, or at least new for DB, is to see how a female Saiyan (the only existing one is Pan at this point) would live in a normal Earth home. Action would be natural for her since she's a Saiyan and they're Hulk-level toughies, but in dealing with normal everyday life they're rather comically inept. Sort of like how Goku is.

I am thinking of the 1980s anime comedy Urusei Yatsura, where a young alien girl moved in with her Earth fiancee.

I would be interested in seeing such a story, if it could work.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: A female Saiyan may work in a domestic comedy

Post by Cipher » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:24 pm

Getting shades of early '90s Mr. Miracle and Big Barda. I'd be down.

Then again, in a less hypothetical situation where this kind of project were actually happening, I'd rather the first female-led Drafon Ball spin-off not be a domestic comedy. Because, you know.

This would be a fun idea as part of a wider field, but could send the wrong message on its own.

Off-topic: I love the art in that poster. I like a lot of those distinctly '80s Japanese visual trends.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:00 pm

An older Bra is basically Bulma with some latent fighting ability.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:14 pm

Sure, I wouldn't mind a one off dbz series akin to Yatsura. An alternate version to what we know, with a perky, bubbly, VISCOUS Saiyan woman and her human harem who are total weaklings, but are easy on the eyes and make her heart go pitter patter, so it's okay that they're allowed to live. :lol:

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:28 pm

I'm totally down for this, though it could trigger some social justice warriors.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:35 pm

If it would be anything like the Great Saiyaman stuff I'd love a spin off like this.

(Preferably staring Gohan as the Great Saiyaman but Pan or Bra might work to.)
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

swimtrunks
Not-So-Newbie

Post by swimtrunks » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:16 pm

We finally get a full-blooded Saiyan female but she's a housewife dealing with everyday normal life things...

No thanks.

Also, Goku is "inept" because that's who he is, that's what makes him Goku. Not every Saiyan is an idiot. Vegeta for example, transitioned to earth life very well.

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:I'm totally down for this, though it could trigger some social justice warriors.
inserts yawn emoji :yawn:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:33 pm

I think the "Hey, that would be hilarious to see her interact in a domesticated world!" thing only comes into play with a Saiyan who actually came from planet Vegeta. It was funny watching Vegeta struggling around with human life because he was not from that world. It was funny with Goku because despite being raised on Earth, he was not raised under "normal" conditions (he was raised in the woods never seeing anyone else and basically raised himself for a while). I don't recall anything comical about Gohan, Trunks, or Goten. So if this would work, it would have to be a female Saiyan literally from another world. Doesn't have to be a Saiyan, could be any alien really.