Back in day, what were some of the best fansubs?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 345
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:32 pm

Re: Back in day, what were some of the best fansubs?

Post by dougo13 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:57 pm

The stuff out of Hawaii can't be considered a fansub as it was intended to go out on a commercial TV channel. Had lots of tapes starting with DB in 1992 and ran until Funimation made them stop subbing at about DBZ 114 if I'm not mistaken. Was nice to have first gen right off the air tapes of the show and not have to rely on craptastic quality CD-Rs with Mpeg 1 video...

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6584
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Back in day, what were some of the best fansubs?

Post by sangofe » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:19 am

dougo13 wrote:The stuff out of Hawaii can't be considered a fansub as it was intended to go out on a commercial TV channel. Had lots of tapes starting with DB in 1992 and ran until Funimation made them stop subbing at about DBZ 114 if I'm not mistaken. Was nice to have first gen right off the air tapes of the show and not have to rely on craptastic quality CD-Rs with Mpeg 1 video...
mpeg 1 video? You were lucky! .rm video of these were the most common versions to get a hold of!

User avatar
SHINOBI-03
I Live Here
Posts: 2595
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:47 am
Location: United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Contact:

Re: Back in day, what were some of the best fansubs?

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:49 am

There was a GT fansub group I watched before I got FUNimation's sets. What was their name, Super5 or something?
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6584
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Back in day, what were some of the best fansubs?

Post by sangofe » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:08 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:There was a GT fansub group I watched before I got FUNimation's sets. What was their name, Super5 or something?
Yeah, and their subs were horrible.

User avatar
Milton
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 198
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Back in day, what were some of the best fansubs?

Post by Milton » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:28 pm

sangofe wrote:
SHINOBI-03 wrote:There was a GT fansub group I watched before I got FUNimation's sets. What was their name, Super5 or something?
Yeah, and their subs were horrible.
That's the group I was thinking of! Yes, they were quite bad.

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:12 pm
Location: USA

Re: Back in day, what were some of the best fansubs?

Post by DrBriefsCat » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:39 am

Milton wrote:Funny note, and I'm curious if anyone knows the answer to this here: my Freeza saga episodes that were from the NGN broadcast seem to skip over episode 79 entirely. The tape that I had featured 3 episodes; 77, 78 and 80 were from NGN while 79 was from the Pearl broadcast. Given how brutal some of the content was in that episode, did NGN purposefully skip that one for content?
It's entirely possible the episode aired, but whoever was recording the series off cable in Hawaii wasn't able to capture it.
sangofe wrote:
dougo13 wrote:The stuff out of Hawaii can't be considered a fansub as it was intended to go out on a commercial TV channel. Had lots of tapes starting with DB in 1992 and ran until Funimation made them stop subbing at about DBZ 114 if I'm not mistaken. Was nice to have first gen right off the air tapes of the show and not have to rely on craptastic quality CD-Rs with Mpeg 1 video...
mpeg 1 video? You were lucky! .rm video of these were the most common versions to get a hold of!
Before the days of streaming video, one had to ask around for watchable copies on VHS.

User avatar
Bansho64
I Live Here
Posts: 2034
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:59 am

Re: Back in day, what were some of the best fansubs?

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:00 am

It's pretty cool to see that a lot of these guys actually subbed the movie promotions as well. I don't think I've ever seen them subbed in English before.

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6584
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Back in day, what were some of the best fansubs?

Post by sangofe » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:22 am

DrBriefsCat wrote:
Milton wrote:Funny note, and I'm curious if anyone knows the answer to this here: my Freeza saga episodes that were from the NGN broadcast seem to skip over episode 79 entirely. The tape that I had featured 3 episodes; 77, 78 and 80 were from NGN while 79 was from the Pearl broadcast. Given how brutal some of the content was in that episode, did NGN purposefully skip that one for content?
It's entirely possible the episode aired, but whoever was recording the series off cable in Hawaii wasn't able to capture it.
sangofe wrote:
dougo13 wrote:The stuff out of Hawaii can't be considered a fansub as it was intended to go out on a commercial TV channel. Had lots of tapes starting with DB in 1992 and ran until Funimation made them stop subbing at about DBZ 114 if I'm not mistaken. Was nice to have first gen right off the air tapes of the show and not have to rely on craptastic quality CD-Rs with Mpeg 1 video...
mpeg 1 video? You were lucky! .rm video of these were the most common versions to get a hold of!
Before the days of streaming video, one had to ask around for watchable copies on VHS.

Yes, and no. There was a website that put up full episodes of dbz in .rm format 80 kbps (10 mb an ep lol), when the vhs days were still in full force in the mid 90's.

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 345
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:32 pm

Re: Back in day, what were some of the best fansubs?

Post by dougo13 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:16 pm

I'm still looking for that episode myself. I put the tapes away years ago never intending to have to pull them out again. My bud in Hawaii was still recording them for me long after the subtitled versions ended so there are boxes of these tapes everywhere. I'm still looking through boxes in the main storage room for DB/Z and other series tapes so it's slow going. When you collected for more than 20 years and didn't catalog them, it is hard to find specific things. And now I've been side-tracked with other stuff so it's even slower. But we still have a couple months of winter here, so I'll get around to it sooner or later...

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 345
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:32 pm

Re: Back in day, what were some of the best fansubs?

Post by dougo13 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:22 pm

Bansho64 wrote:It's pretty cool to see that a lot of these guys actually subbed the movie promotions as well. I don't think I've ever seen them subbed in English before.
It would be great to get subbed copies of many of the one off specials they aired in Japan like top 10 anime shows for that year, history of SF manga, World of Leiji Matsumoto, Super Monster Special, etc. I have them all and most were shown exactly once with no inclusion on DVDs or LDs. Don't know if there was a DB/Z angle other than what might have been on a top 10 special. I'd have to check some of those tapes and find out...

User avatar
floofychan333
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1374
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:03 pm
Location: Edmonton, Canada

Re: Back in day, what were some of the best fansubs?

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:35 pm

How do you make a fansub tape, anyway?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3793
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Back in day, what were some of the best fansubs?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:42 pm

I know he's mega controversial but allow Otaking to explain what you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUYlqLlbix0 Start at 1:58

One detail is that he mentions Laserdisc while most fansubbers use Raw Broadcast. Even back in the day.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Post Reply