What if 20th Century Fox makes a animated DB Movie?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

What if 20th Century Fox makes a animated DB Movie?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:25 pm

Since Toei has no plans to do a new DB movie at the moment, what if 20th Century Fox makes another Dragon Ball movie but decided to make it animated? Fox owns Blue Sky Studios and Blue Sky Studios is best known for the Ice Age movies, Rio 1-2, Horton Hears a Who!, Robots and The Peanuts Movie. Dreamworks has been doing animated movies for 20th Century Fox lately as well. I think Blue Sky Studios or Dreamworks doing a DB animated movie would be fine as long if they keep the story and tone faithful to the manga and anime. They may have to cut down some of the dirty jokes if they want a PG rating, but it would be interesting if they did their own take on the Pilaf saga or their own story (similar to Dragon Ball: Curse of the Blood Rubies).
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: What if 20th Century Fox makes a animated DB Movie?

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:05 pm

So you're basically asking for a CG animated Dragon Ball movie? I don't know how well that would work. Dragon Ball is so cartoonish its mannerisms and expressiveness that I really don't think it could be captured well, if at all, with CG animation. Dragon Ball just works better when it's hand drawn because you have more freedom for your characters to appear more cartoonish. I mean, visually, with the right team, a CG animated could look stunning. But there would certain Dragon Ball-esque aesthetics that would lost in process, in my opinion.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:09 pm

If it looks like the XV2 Bardock cutscene, I'll take it.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:12 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:If it looks like the XV2 Bardock cutscene, I'll take it.
As long as they don't include the dumb plot points like Bardock watching the Goku and Golden Freeza fight, it's fine.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:23 pm

Doctor. wrote:
As long as they don't include the dumb plot points like Bardock watching the Goku and Golden Freeza fight, it's fine.
Was dumb as hell but I'll be damned if that one cutscene didn't look and flow better than most of Super does now. Hell, I'd kill for Super to look like that even though most treat CGI anime with about as much contempt as Japan does the concept of pacing, so a LOT.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:27 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Was dumb as hell but I'll be damned if that one cutscene didn't look and flow better than most of Super does now. Hell, I'd kill for Super to look like that even though most treat CGI anime with about as much contempt as Japan does the concept of pacing, so a LOT.
Yeah, but then you're treated with the shitty XV graphics for the cutscenes of the rest of the game, with the exception of Trunks' transformation.

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:30 pm

To get something like that made, they'd probably have to have Toriyama approve every little detail. Mangaka often have the final say in how their creations are depicted in an adapted work.

One of the reasons why the Astroboy movie took so many years to get made was because Tezuka Productions had to sign off on how their characters looked.
Last edited by DrBriefsCat on Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:43 pm

Doctor. wrote:As long as they don't include the dumb plot points like Bardock watching the Goku and Golden Freeza fight, it's fine.
No more "dumb" than watching their confrontation on Namek. Either way, he's talking about looks, not story content.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:57 pm

The idea of doing CGI Hollywood anime adaptions seems pretty dead after the financial disaster of the Astro Boy and Speed Racer films in the late 2000s. If 20th Century FOX did a traditional 2D film then we'd just end up with another YGO Pyramid of Light. Something which is ridiculed by mainstream critics and unable to replicate the merchandising heights of the TV series. The only anime movie i can even remember FOX working on is the Digimon one, which as many would know was a very disrespectful hackjob (as well as a box office flop).
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:45 pm

Kakacarrottop wrote:The idea of doing CGI Hollywood anime adaptions seems pretty dead after the financial disaster of the Astro Boy and Speed Racer films in the late 2000s.
Oddly neither of these were Hollywood CGI films...

Astro Boy was a CGI film made in Hong Kong and the studio was basically falling apart as it was made.

And of course, Speed Racer was live action, which hasn't stopped various projects to try and get similar projects made. I mean hell, Ghost in the Shell comes out soon.

To say nothing of the fact that, while not an anime, the fact Edge of Tomorrow did decently and will be getting a sequel likely has companies looking at other properties they could adapt to some degree.
If 20th Century FOX did a traditional 2D film then we'd just end up with another YGO Pyramid of Light. Something which is ridiculed by mainstream critics and unable to replicate the merchandising heights of the TV series.
I'm not sure I see the point of this statement. Pyramid of Light wasn't made in the USA, even if tailoring was done as an 'American first' release. The critics were NEVER going to walk into a Yu-Gi-Oh film and walk out and give it a thumbs up. It's a toy film about a card game.
The only anime movie i can even remember FOX working on is the Digimon one, which as many would know was a very disrespectful hackjob (as well as a box office flop).
Not sure I'd call it a flop, it just didn't blow the doors off anything. They spent very little to get it, very little to dub it, and minimal/medium to market it and made money off it. Not sure how it was disrespectful either. The only thing they hacked up to any real degree was the third film, which probably would be better if it was just burned.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:04 am

No, thanks. I don't want the western powerhouses like Fox, Disney, Dreamworks et cetera to even touch Dragon Ball. They can stick to making their terrible 3D animated movies and make billions of dollars.

Dragon Ball would be an afterthought for these companies, so they might not even give time to the project and it would look awful and there's no individual flair and passion in recent western animated movies. So, I definitely don't want that.

I'm completely fine with Toei and hand drawn animation. Yes, their CG is awful at times, but still the individual styles and flair of animators is visible and I vastly prefer that to multiple animators touching a single drawing and wasting it like the western movies.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:15 pm

I would personally hate a CGI DB movie made by a different company.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:24 pm

I wouldn't want to see one from Blue Sky Studios as I find their films to be just average more often than not, and I don't care for their sense of humor. However, I would be interested in seeing Disney or DreamWorks tackle such a project. Even though it's unlikely to happen in this day and age, I'd rather it would be hand-drawn too since I'm curious to see an entire DB feature done in full animation.