Have you watched every episode of the anime?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Have you watched every episode of the anime?

Post by precita » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:32 am

Have you watched every episode of Dragonball, DBZ, GT and Super at least once?

Even prior to Super, I was quite surprised when I would read around various forums that some people actually never watched certain segments of the show. It was different for each person, but I found it shocking a fan of Dragonball in general wouldn't want to sit through every episode at least once just to see how it was, including all the various filler.

So have you seen every episode? If you haven't kept up with Super, then the first 3 series?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: Have you watched every episode of the anime?

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:35 am

I've seen them all at least once. Most people have seen the original series', or at least Z.
Retired.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:42 am

No. I've seen almost of Dragon Ball (haven't watched Baba), I've seen about a 4th of Z (sans clips) and I skipped most of Super 17.
EDIT: I've seen all of Kai however.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:44 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I've seen them all at least once. Most people have seen the original series', or at least Z.
Funny how I've seen ALL of Dragon Ball and GT, but not ALL of Z and Super. I haven't seen all of the Buu Saga (even though I know the whole story pretty much) so I'm waiting for Funimation's Kai Buu Saga. As for Super, I've seen the major highlights/moments - But once again, am waiting for Funimation's official release.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:45 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:No. I've seen almost of Dragon Ball (haven't watched Baba), I've seen about a 4th of Z (sans clips) and I skipped most of Super 17.
Dragon Ball is available for free on Funimation's site, if you want to kill some time on the Baba Arc.
Retired.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:48 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:No. I've seen almost of Dragon Ball (haven't watched Baba), I've seen about a 4th of Z (sans clips) and I skipped most of Super 17.
Dragon Ball is available for free on Funimation's site, if you want to kill some time on the Baba Arc.
I have Hulu for that. I just have no interest in watching, I already saw the main stuff, I just need to watch the filler stuff.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:49 am

No. Haven't seen Kai and never plan to. Watched everything else, though, every episode of each series, every movie, OVA and TV special.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:51 am

Draconic wrote:No. Haven't seen Kai and never plan to. Watched everything else, though, every episode of each series, every movie, OVA and TV special.
Kai's no masterpiece, but it's definitely worth watching once.
Retired.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:55 am

I skipped a lot of the original Dragon ball filler. Apart from that, I don't remember everything from beginning of GT.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:13 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Draconic wrote:No. Haven't seen Kai and never plan to. Watched everything else, though, every episode of each series, every movie, OVA and TV special.
I've watched the first couple of episodes, realized the voice acting was poorer than Z, the animation revamp is bland and I don't really feel the soundtrack. Couple that with the fact I've already seen everything and I think you would understand where I'm coming from. The big one that makes me consider Kai is the better pacing, but if I ever feel like revisiting the story in a better paced way I'll probably go with the manga, since I haven't read more than the first arc of that.
I also have no real interest in the dub version, as both English and Japanese are foreign languages to me and though I can understand what it's said in English, I'd still use subtitles for convenience, so I might as well stick to the voices I prefer anyway.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:17 am

I've probably watched less than a third of them.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:18 am

Draconic wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
I've watched the first couple of episodes, realized the voice acting was poorer than Z, the animation revamp is bland and I don't really feel the soundtrack. Couple that with the fact I've already seen everything and I think you would understand where I'm coming from. The big one that makes me consider Kai is the better pacing, but if I ever feel like revisiting the story in a better paced way I'll probably go with the manga, since I haven't read more than the first arc of that.
I also have no real interest in the dub version, as both English and Japanese are foreign languages to me and though I can understand what it's said in English, I'd still use subtitles for convenience, so I might as well stick to the voices I prefer anyway.
I understand that, but the actual quality of the audio is better, the backgrounds are beautiful, and the soundtrack has long since reverted to Kikuchi. It's not placed as well as Z, but it's still a decent version of the Kikuchi Score. I sympathize, and I'm not saying you should go out of your way. But if you ever feel like watching straight through one of these days, I recommend you watch Kai over Z. It's the same as I say for GT, it deserves watching at least once.
Retired.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:35 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Draconic wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
I understand that, but the actual quality of the audio is better, the backgrounds are beautiful, and the soundtrack has long since reverted to Kikuchi. It's not placed as well as Z, but it's still a decent version of the Kikuchi Score. I sympathize, and I'm not saying you should go out of your way. But if you ever feel like watching straight through one of these days, I recommend you watch Kai over Z. It's the same as I say for GT, it deserves watching at least once.
With that I 100% agree. Even though I am not the biggest fan of GT, it is a much more personal viewing than either three shows. You might come out of that with a completely new understanding and appreciation of it. It's really not skipable for a Dragon Ball fan. I love Super more than it in almost every single way and it is the better show, but it's definetely more skipable than GT.

szopman
Beyond Newbie

Post by szopman » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:06 am

I watched every single episode of DB, DBZ, DBGT many times. And I always have considered the 3 shows as one big story, GT to me is as canon as Z or original DB. I watched of course very movie, tv special, ova etc. And Kai of course.
I watched DBZ 4 times, but in the recent years, I prefer Kai over Z (but I watch Kai with some Z's fillers that I like, so I watch a Z/Kai hybrid, we could say).

And about Super ... I couldn't stand this shitty retelling of movies. So I didn't watch all the episodes of those sagas. The movies were first, and I consider movies to be canon. But in the future I'll watch some episodes from Bog and RoF sagas that can fit within the movies (like this 3-4 eps between BoG and RoF or the first 2-3 eps of BoG saga). But since Champa saga i watched all the episodes of Super ; )

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:11 am

I've watched everything of the original DB, Z and Super, watched Kai up till the early Cell arc, and I've seen like twelve episodes of GT. Can't say for sure if I'll ever actually finish GT though as it's just been such a chore to sit through.

szopman
Beyond Newbie

Post by szopman » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:44 am

I noticed that there's a big difference in perception of GT between people from USA and from my country (Poland).
From what I've heard (I have a friend from the States who's also the huge fan of DB) in America, GT was showed some time after Z, like some new season, kind of the sequel (which many people considered non-canon "rip-off", am i wrong?). But for eg. in Poland, we watched all 3 shows as one big series, one after another. One day Z ends, and the next day you watch GT's first ep (just like in Japan). So for many viewers in Poland, GT was just another, the last 64 episodes of the DB's story that started with original DB series. So for many people in my country, GT is considered canon, just like DB and DBZ. So in PL, DB, Z, GT was the trilogy like SW, TESB and ROTJ (Star Wars of course). The SW story without ROTJ would be quiet incomplete, so would be DB without GT (I'm just saying how it looks from the pov of the many polish viewers who watched the show when they were young)
I think that may be one of the reasons why there's this difference in perception of GT, and it's "canonicity", etc. (but of course polish fans also have this endless discussions like "GT's non-canon - GT IS canon - no, it's not" etc.)

But still, I think that people would treat GT different if they watched all three shows as a one big soap-anime-opera that lasted for (mor or less) 500 eps.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:40 am

szopman wrote:I noticed that there's a big difference in perception of GT between people from USA and from my country (Poland).
From what I've heard (I have a friend from the States who's also the huge fan of DB) in America, GT was showed some time after Z, like some new season, kind of the sequel (which many people considered non-canon "rip-off", am i wrong?). But for eg. in Poland, we watched all 3 shows as one big series, one after another. One day Z ends, and the next day you watch GT's first ep (just like in Japan). So for many viewers in Poland, GT was just another, the last 64 episodes of the DB's story that started with original DB series. So for many people in my country, GT is considered canon, just like DB and DBZ. So in PL, DB, Z, GT was the trilogy like SW, TESB and ROTJ (Star Wars of course). The SW story without ROTJ would be quiet incomplete, so would be DB without GT (I'm just saying how it looks from the pov of the many polish viewers who watched the show when they were young)
I think that may be one of the reasons why there's this difference in perception of GT, and it's "canonicity", etc. (but of course polish fans also have this endless discussions like "GT's non-canon - GT IS canon - no, it's not" etc.)

But still, I think that people would treat GT different if they watched all three shows as a one big soap-anime-opera that lasted for (mor or less) 500 eps.
If I had seen all three series back-to-back as a kid, perhaps... But I'm pretty sure that, much like the Star Wars prequels, over time I'd come to appreciate GT a lot less than the first two series. Or for another example, Digimon Adventure. 02 started immediately after Adventure ended, and unlike DB there was no real source material for the story to begin with (Digimon existed as a franchise before the anime, sure, but the actual story and characters in Adventure were Toei creations). In terms of animation and music it was also a seamless transition as the same staff worked on both shows. As a kid, I totally accepted this and just looked forward to each new episode, but nowadays... Let's just say that while Digimon Adventure is my favorite installment in the franchise, 02 was in my opinion the absolute lowest point prior to the release of Hunters in 2011. And this really does all come down to the writing; 02's plot was a contradictory mess with poorly developed characters who oftentimes felt completely pointless, and a lot of the time it felt like it really wasn't going anywhere at all. We got like six episodes of BlackWarGreymon destroying Holy Stones which we were told would cause the destruction of the multiverse, but it was hard to get invested when each of these six episodes were essentially the exact same thing ("BLACKWARGREYMON IS GOING TO DESTROY THIS STONE AND WE HAVE TO STOP HIM!!! Oh balls, we failed. Oh well, better luck next time! And absolutely nothing was accomplished!") and it ultimately resolved itself with just a massive lore-dump and BlackWarGreymon just... flying off somewhere. Not to mention the Dark Ocean or the Demon-arc, both of which presented some really interesting and dark concepts that showed a lot of potential... and neither of which were explored at all because the show was too busy having the kids flying around and destroying Dark Towers.

...Of course, bringing up this comparison also makes me realize that Super shares a lot of these flaws as well. And I've only seen the first quarter of GT so I guess I can't really make a fair assessment as to whether or not Super is the better show overall... but I will say this: Super doesn't bore me. (Well, I mean, it did in the movie recap arcs but I tend to just ignore those.) GT I can barely even pay attention to.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:01 am

It took quite a while to do so, but I've seen everything 'major' at least once, in both Japanese and via the FUNi in-house dub. About the only stuff I haven't seen yet that I can think of is the Taiwanese live action film, the movie recap TV special from before the seventh Z movie, the 'year end' special thing, uh...I think that's about it, actually.

That's only in-so-far as to the original run though, DB through GT. For newer stuff, I've yet to see the Boo arc of Kai, and I've also never watched Kai in Japanese yet (save for episode 1 raw when it first came out).
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:11 am

I've seen everything except Kai and Super. I'll think of collecting Kai once Buu Kai starts being released.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:16 am

I've seen all of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. I've seen about half of GT. And I'm up to episode 61 of Super (watching it right now, actually). I've seen just over a dozen episodes of Kai and really have no interest in ever continuing.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2