Does anyone think Vegito/Gogeta having so little screentime is a good thing?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Does anyone think Vegito/Gogeta having so little screentime is a good thing?

Post by precita » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:29 pm

I think the reason so many people crave Vegito and Gogeta is because they get so little screentime, but that's the point. "Less is more," or "You can have too much of a good thing."

Vegito only got 4 episodes of screentime in DBZ. Gogeta got 2 minutes in Movie 12, and only 1 episode in GT. And now in Super, Vegito again only gets what...12 minutes of an episode? Had we seen these characters for an extended period of time, people would get bored of them and they would feel less special.

Sort of how we see Gotenks so much, but it feels less special because of it.

mecha3000
Regular

Re: Does anyone think Vegito/Gogeta having so little screentime is a good thing?

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:27 am

I certainly don't mind the little screentime. You're right because all these years we've played as Gogeta and Vegito in the video games - but it's not like they (especially the former) were mainstay characters. They're just badass. Same goes for Vegito Blue (love that name), which is why fans are still going to play as him in future games or even as a possible Xenoverse 2 DLC. Besides, I saw the scene of Vegito in DB Super - Sure, it was a little short-lived, but I never expected much. It's sad how many fans expected him to be a HUGE part of this arc, but I can't blame them. I, too - think it would have been awesome if he was stuck in the fusion until the end of this arc. It would make for some great humor with Bulma and Chichi as well as making the Kibito/Supreme Kai dragon balls split be less pointless.

phattangent
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Does anyone think Vegito/Gogeta having so little screentime is a good thing?

Post by phattangent » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:05 am

I think the little screen time was justified. It was a deviation from the arc's premise... that love and hope will conquer all. I'm not saying that Vegetto's presence diametrically opposes this theme, but it does seem at odds with it.
ドラゴンボール超と言うアニメを見ています。あの、日本語が分かりますか?話しましょう!
ザマスに就いて、全王は合体ザマスより大なりです!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:26 am

Yes. Fusion is one of the worst plot devices in the franchise because it can be done by anyone do it, and it's pretty much a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card. I don't want Fusion to be the solution to everything.

phattangent
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by phattangent » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:32 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Yes. Fusion is one of the worst plot devices in the franchise because it can be done by anyone do it, and it's pretty much a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card. I don't want Fusion to be the solution to everything.
Good thing it wasn't in the latest arc.
ザマスに就いて、全王は合体ザマスより大なりです!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:57 pm

I'm glad it gets very little screen time. The thing about fusion is that it made sense in Z for fusion to be saved for the last arc. Ever since Goten fused with Trunks, we never saw them fighting again; it was all Gotenks from then on. And that makes sense. If Goku and Vegeta create Vegetto or Gogeta or whatever, and there's a more powerful villain in the next arc, why would they fight as individuals and get their asses kicked instead of just fusing? It basically means that like with Gotenks, there's no real reason for Goku and Vegeta to fight by themselves, they'd just always be Vegetto or Gogeta. I know someone will say "Well they have pride," but that doesn't make sense since they already fused. If they don't stand a chance, just fuse. If they don't fuse, that means that the villain isn't as powerful as the one before it, which makes for an underwhelming story. So this either means that the fight will be underwhelming or Goku and Vegeta won't get to fight individually without fusing. Take your pick.

If Super plans to continue and they already did a Super Saiyan "Blue" Vegetto, I feel like they blew their wad way too early.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:05 pm

I think it is.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:14 pm

phattangent wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Yes. Fusion is one of the worst plot devices in the franchise because it can be done by anyone do it, and it's pretty much a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card. I don't want Fusion to be the solution to everything.
Jokes on you, Vegetto didn't beat Merged Zamasu and he lasted only five minutes.

phattangent
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by phattangent » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:36 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
phattangent wrote:
Jokes on you, Vegetto didn't beat Merged Zamasu and he lasted only five minutes.
Nope. Jokes on you. I wasn't being sarcastic. I was agreeing with you and pointing out that this didn't happen in the latest arc.
ザマスに就いて、全王は合体ザマスより大なりです!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:53 pm

phattangent wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
phattangent wrote: Good thing it wasn't in the latest arc.
Nope. Jokes on you. I wasn't being sarcastic. I was agreeing with you and pointing out that this didn't happen in the latest arc.
Oh. My apologies. I misunderstood your comment.

phattangent
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by phattangent » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:54 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Oh. My apologies. I misunderstood your comment.
It's cool.
ザマスに就いて、全王は合体ザマスより大なりです!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:32 pm

Yes because what little they get is AMAZING and it leaves us wanting more instead of wanting it to go away like Gotenks.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:22 pm

sintzu wrote:Yes because what little they get is AMAZING and it leaves us wanting more instead of wanting it to go away like Gotenks.
I think that's what so great about Vegetto's appearance. It's like Gogeta's appearance in Movie 12, it's short but ever so sweet. But what's even better about Vegetto's limited screentime is that he doesn't steal the spotlight and ultimately doesn't provide the resolution everyone was hoping for. Future Trunks was still the main hero. I love that so much.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:34 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Future Trunks was still the main hero. I love that so much.
It was similar to Vegeta's role in the RF arc, he beat him but didn't fully win.

Did you notic that Toriyama isn't letting the heroes get a full win against any of the villains ?

Goku couldn't beat Beerus in BOG.

Vegeta needed Whis and Goku's help to finish Freeza.

Goku gave up against Hit during the tournament.

Now they needed Zeno to step in and finish Zamasu for them.

Do you think this will continue into the next arc ? I hope it does cause it makes everything fresh and unpredictable.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:23 pm

sintzu wrote:Yes because what little they get is AMAZING and it leaves us wanting more instead of wanting it to go away like Gotenks.
Gotenks is meant to be comic relief anyway. That's why seeing him so often is just to see him make a fool of himself.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:36 am

This may sound somewhat rude, but I am curious that you used "Vegito"? It's a little thing, but IIRC wasnt there a block against Mr Satan & Tenshinhan's old dub names, & I've never read Freeza with an i, in a sincere context?

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:58 pm

If you think about it, it's never been a solution to ANYTHING outside of Movie 12.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:56 pm

The more often that you show them, the more likely they will be susceptible to defeat by a villain.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:57 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:This may sound somewhat rude, but I am curious that you used "Vegito"? It's a little thing, but IIRC wasnt there a block against Mr Satan & Tenshinhan's old dub names, & I've never read Freeza with an i, in a sincere context?
I think that word filter's been liften recently. FRIEZA, FRIEZA, FRIIIIEZA, FRIEZA!!

I'm really glad it's gone, personally; it was a really hamfisted way of imposing one's will upon anyone who didn't feel like conforming to the "correct" names. It's like Trunks said to Bebi; "people have to CHOOSE that! You can't just force it on them!"
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:46 pm

sintzu wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Future Trunks was still the main hero. I love that so much.
It was similar to Vegeta's role in the RF arc, he beat him but didn't fully win.

Did you notic that Toriyama isn't letting the heroes get a full win against any of the villains ?

Goku couldn't beat Beerus in BOG.

Vegeta needed Whis and Goku's help to finish Freeza.

Goku gave up against Hit during the tournament.

Now they needed Zeno to step in and finish Zamasu for them.

Do you think this will continue into the next arc ? I hope it does cause it makes everything fresh and unpredictable.
Didn't think about this until now haha. I hope next arc has a legitimate win. Although the losing is interesting, doing it too much can get annoying. Mix it up.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.