Is it time GT gets recognized as an alternate timeline rather than just "not canon?"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Is it time GT gets recognized as an alternate timeline rather than just "not canon?"

Post by sintzu » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:25 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I'd love to see everyone's reaction if in 5 years they came out with another series that contradicts all of Super.
If Super continues to be good from now till it ends then I think a lot of fans will be upset but if it goes downhill for some reason then I doubt we'll care.

Fans will either consider the new show (if it's better) as the new canon sequel to DB&Z or completely give up on a good sequel and not even give it a chance.[/quote]
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

precita
Banned

Re: Is it time GT gets recognized as an alternate timeline rather than just "not canon?"

Post by precita » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:08 pm

I love Movie 12 and its about as "alternate timeline" as you can get. It basically only makes sense if Vegeta succeeded in killing Fat Buu when he blew himself up. So both Goku and Vegeta stay dead and are never revived, and everyone else goes back to living their normal lives.

Probably the saddest timeline. Gohan/Goten only get to see their father for 1 day, and Trunks loses Vegeta forever.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:47 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Whatever, all I said was that Toei should come out and give a statement on GT since it's obviously a big topic.

I hope GT does get a sequel, though. I mean, why not? If Super is running smoothly, that means that they worked out the kinks from GT, right (ehhh...)? So why not do a post-GT series? They could go crazy with it since it's a fresh start. Pretty much do anything they'd like. After all, it won't have any affect on the "real" story.
It would be hard to do a sequel without running the ending to GT unless they do a anime base around Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr. I don't think that would work very well because fans would like to see the real deal. With GT's ending, most people feel like it was a great ending with DBZ's ending, you can take it or leave it. I think it would be pointless to have Goku and the Dragon Balls come back so soon after GT since it would show that they didn't learn anything after GT. Goku left with Shenron most likely since he is consider to be a bad guy magnet and they over use the Dragon Balls too much.

They could try a series with Vegeta as the main character and no Dragon Balls, but I don't think most people would like that since Goku is always the main character in the series.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:56 am

Perhaps Toei can rebrand GT as "Grand Timeline" instead of "Grand Tour"? I know this would be controversial among fans, especially those who prefer the series not change its previously known history. Still, let's say that Dragon Ball Super airs on a kids channel - But it ends up going on a short hiatus. Well, maybe they would want to show another DB series in its place for a while or replace Super whenever it ends. And to hype it up in the commercials, they refer to it as an "alternate, Grand Timeline!" It'd be a nice way to make it easier for kids to differentiate GT's events from Super, at least (and also a way to make GT relevant for a new generation outside the games, but also to redefine GT).

Let's just hope this time they wouldn't feature the Mark Menza score and instead just go with the original Japanese score. I understand Funimation probably didn't feel like creating new edited episodes to air based on the more faithful Funimation GT release and instead just decided to go with the Cartoon Network edited episodes already available to them. Still, if GT is ever re-aired - I would like this to not be the case. Sorry for going a little bit off-topic here.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:12 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:It would be hard to do a sequel without running the ending to GT unless they do a anime base around Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr. I don't think that would work very well because fans would like to see the real deal. With GT's ending, most people feel like it was a great ending with DBZ's ending, you can take it or leave it. I think it would be pointless to have Goku and the Dragon Balls come back so soon after GT since it would show that they didn't learn anything after GT. Goku left with Shenron most likely since he is consider to be a bad guy magnet and they over use the Dragon Balls too much.

They could try a series with Vegeta as the main character and no Dragon Balls, but I don't think most people would like that since Goku is always the main character in the series.

I mean it's possible. For example, when I was young and stupid, I thought up of a sequel to GT and it kind of works out. This would start 50 years after Goku disappears with Shen Long and the main protagonists would be Trunks's son, Boxer; Pan's daughter, Clari; and their son Collard. With Vegeta being 107, he'd lend a hand every now and then, but he'd be significantly older-looking. Gohan, Goten, and Trunks would either be under the 80 year mark or a little over (in Gohan's case), and could still be featured. Of course, Goku will come back too.

So my thing followed the adventures of Collard as he grows up and goes through various battles until we land on Age 879 (Collard would be 44), around which he and his wife will find out that they're expecting. Bulma Leigh (apparently as she was named) would be 26 at this point in that story's timeline; looks like she's gonna have a kid too. Battle, battle, sad moments, and the story ends with the same exact scene as GT did.

Yeah, it's all just some kid's story, but it just shows that it's at least possible to do it.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:45 pm

The many changes thanks to super has Gt reduce to an alternative timeline by this point so stop trying to bring it back.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:15 pm

Toxin45 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:45 pm The many changes thanks to super has Gt reduce to an alternative timeline by this point so stop trying to bring it back.
This thread is THREE YEARS OLD man!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:39 pm

KBABZ wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:15 pm
Toxin45 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:45 pm The many changes thanks to super has Gt reduce to an alternative timeline by this point so stop trying to bring it back.
Seconded, the topic hasn't been replied on (at least until now) since late 2016. Necro posting on a dormant thread isn't exactly approved of by the admins.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:40 pm

I know dude just Saiyan :D

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:29 am

The real question is...who cares about canon?
It's about what you enjoy, not what someone else says about what is and in't canon.

Besides, making something canon doesn't particularly better in quality or make it automatically fit in the 'real' timeline. Super is canon but has a lot on inconsistencies when you compare it to Z.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:55 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:39 pm
Seconded, the topic hasn't been replied on (at least until now) since late 2016. Necro posting on a dormant thread isn't exactly approved of by the admins.
I think it's safer to resurrect a dead topic than creates a new one that would be just a duplicate. And discussion are discussion a Forum is used to speak about topics old or new.

As for the topic itself I am not a GT fan at all, but fact is I love some of GT concept (heck my avatar) I love Bebi and all the Tsuful related stuff and I would love if Toei and Toriyama revive both Hatchiyack and Bebi to the be used in a single big arc where they served as villain. Instead of Vegeta and Goku please make Gohan be the evil dude (Bebi Gohan) like that Pan is forced to have more dramatic moment and same for Goku. (Mind you that Ultimate Gohan in the ToP was able to stand its ground against formidable foe and prior to that was able to stand against SSGB Goku) So you add Bebi that can use the hatred energy from Hatchiyack and banco you have a BIG formidable foe that can beat some Godly power.

Let's give to that a new spin on the Tsuful making them real asshole towards Saiyan (Thus why Saiyan gone rogue) and introduce Vegeta first of his name and the second for Lore purpose).

Oops I disgress lol what I am saying is that GT I think can be use as a pool of concept (DBS Broly is for exemple a start) as for GT continuity I think us Fan and I agree with some comment above should force Toei/Shueisha to go out and clarify the Dragon Ball World continuity timeline. It's not that hard to creates a comprehensive timeline like Nintendo did for the Zelda game or like any western compagny do like the MCU or Highlander.

Now about the canon, I agree speaking about canon can be time consumming and at wrost a train wreck that leave you exhausted. But for any Franchise the canon is important not for its quality but the franchise canon is the base ground its the foundation without it the franchise crumble. So it's important to establish what's canon to what is not because that's the foundation.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:10 am

What does GT get if it's "canon"?

A badge? A t-shirt? A commemorative plaque?

Because it certainly doesn't change anything else.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:15 am

you gotta admit though, getting a free shirt for just being "canon" would be extremely worth it.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:16 am

When it comes to all the numerous "post-Z" story attempts from over the years of which GT was just the first (not to mention the movies), it's easier to consider them different continuity branches similar to Transformers. Non-canon doesn't exactly work when even to this day Toei just LOVE mining that stuff for new content, such as Xenoverse and FighterZ taking characters from both it and Super.
Soppa Saia People wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:15 am you gotta admit though, getting a free shirt for just being "canon" would be extremely worth it.
I guess that means the manga has "CANON" written in giant letters across its chest?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:17 am

And it should be like this.

We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:29 am

bro i gotta cop this

look at the smirk, he's so happy about it!
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

jollyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jollyr » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:00 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:26 am Maybe I'm in the minority, but I would like some clarification on how GT is viewed by the main timeline. As I said before: Toei advertised it as the official sequel to the Dragon Ball series and I don't want to feel punished for actually buying into their crap. It's bad enough that it's being written off, but it's a whole other slap in the face when they don't even come out and either say "Yes, it exists in another timeline as described in Super," or "Nope, doesn't exist; thanks for the money, ciao."

As a fan, I have spent too much time and money on GT, and I feel like I deserve to know whether that collection of DVDs (singles, green bricks, and Dragon Box) occupying space in one of my closets, is at least salvageable, or if I can just pretend to have never seen it.

I've come to grips that GT just got shat on by everyone. I get that it's been beaten to the ground and assassinated. But for Toei not to come out and just give a simple answer to a very obvious, glaring question that many fans have, is kind of dickish. And while the GT haters -- the majority -- rejoice and pee on GT's badly-desecrated grave, I just want some closure on the entire series that I grew up believing to be the official continuation of Z, which is why I even watched it and gave it a chance and stuck up for it in the first place.

By the way, I have made posts that come off angry before, this isn't me angry. I'm just saying.
I feel like you're taking it way too serious. It does actually exist in ya know the real world and its there for us to enjoy whenever we want.

Questrider
Beyond Newbie

Post by Questrider » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:30 pm

What really sucks is that GT had some good stories at the end. And well, SSJ4 was pretty damn awesome at the time.
First season of GT? Meh. SSJ4 is what really saved it. Let's be honest. And it's also the main reason why people would love to see it officially recognized as CANON.

Well...what I wish they could do? Is re-do the damn thing. And then we can pretend like GT never existed. Or rather, let's call those the storyboards.

Hear me out. I'm not trying to bash GT.

The thing is, Super kinda missed a few opportunities. By adding God Goku and Goku Blue, they pretty much closed the door on SSJ4 ever happening within the canon continuity and thus, GT. Well, I shouldn't say Super "missed." They are following the manga like the loyal soldiers they are.

But see, I can see where the GT fans are coming from. And by not including it officially? Just kinda sucks.
I know some say it should not matter if something is canon or not but it kinda DOES matter. Because like any huge story, it is the sum of its parts that make it what it is.

This is why redoing GT would be incredible. But what Super would need to do? Is some VERY creative story telling to bring the story there somehow. SSJ4 was pretty damn amazing. And as much as I'm a big DBZ/Super fan, SSJ4 is a lot fucking cooler than Goku Blue and Ultra Instinct. The "look" guys. And lets continue to be honest here- UI is nothing but Goku with a nifty glow, look wise.
SSJ4 was such a killer "final" form. Why? Because it looks so much like the iconic SSJ3, which was pretty much written off forever. Just like SSJ4. And damn, those red kamehamehas were intense.

Last but not least, regardless of GT, Super needs to find a way to get past the final episode of Z.
GT, iirc, had a pretty dope last episode too. I vaguely remember there being some really good music there.
-Questrider

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:53 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:55 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:39 pm
I think it's safer to resurrect a dead topic than creates a new one that would be just a duplicate. And discussion are discussion a Forum is used to speak about topics old or new.

As for the topic itself I am not a GT fan at all, but fact is I love some of GT concept (heck my avatar) I love Bebi and all the Tsuful related stuff and I would love if Toei and Toriyama revive both Hatchiyack and Bebi to the be used in a single big arc where they served as villain. Instead of Vegeta and Goku please make Gohan be the evil dude (Bebi Gohan) like that Pan is forced to have more dramatic moment and same for Goku. (Mind you that Ultimate Gohan in the ToP was able to stand its ground against formidable foe and prior to that was able to stand against SSGB Goku) So you add Bebi that can use the hatred energy from Hatchiyack and banco you have a BIG formidable foe that can beat some Godly power.

Let's give to that a new spin on the Tsuful making them real asshole towards Saiyan (Thus why Saiyan gone rogue) and introduce Vegeta first of his name and the second for Lore purpose).

Oops I disgress lol what I am saying is that GT I think can be use as a pool of concept (DBS Broly is for exemple a start) as for GT continuity I think us Fan and I agree with some comment above should force Toei/Shueisha to go out and clarify the Dragon Ball World continuity timeline. It's not that hard to creates a comprehensive timeline like Nintendo did for the Zelda game or like any western compagny do like the MCU or Highlander.

Now about the canon, I agree speaking about canon can be time consumming and at wrost a train wreck that leave you exhausted. But for any Franchise the canon is important not for its quality but the franchise canon is the base ground its the foundation without it the franchise crumble. So it's important to establish what's canon to what is not because that's the foundation.
No it isnt. You are not an admin or mod. Dont break the rules like that.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:18 pm

precita wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:10 pm Given the recent Zamasu arc we know there could be theoretically dozens of timelines in the Dragonball series. Instead of just saying GT is, "not canon" its best to recognize it as an alternate timeline. I'm not a fan of pretending things didn't happen.

GT is simply a timeline where Beerus never visited the Earth. As a result, Goku and Vegeta never discovered God Ki. Freeza was never resurrected. Zamasu never met Goku, so the events of that story never happened. Future Trunks killed Babidi/Dabura and lived as we left him.

Even aside from the fact that GT takes place further along than Super is currently (since Pan is still a baby in Super whereas in GT she's a teenager), I like to see it as a branching timeline where Beerus never visited Earth and thus Super's chain of events were altered.
if it had a purpose in story then ... okay but otherwise I wouldn't see it necessary