Is it time GT gets recognized as an alternate timeline rather than just "not canon?"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Is it time GT gets recognized as an alternate timeline rather than just "not canon?"

Post by precita » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:10 pm

Given the recent Zamasu arc we know there could be theoretically dozens of timelines in the Dragonball series. Instead of just saying GT is, "not canon" its best to recognize it as an alternate timeline. I'm not a fan of pretending things didn't happen.

GT is simply a timeline where Beerus never visited the Earth. As a result, Goku and Vegeta never discovered God Ki. Freeza was never resurrected. Zamasu never met Goku, so the events of that story never happened. Future Trunks killed Babidi/Dabura and lived as we left him.

Even aside from the fact that GT takes place further along than Super is currently (since Pan is still a baby in Super whereas in GT she's a teenager), I like to see it as a branching timeline where Beerus never visited Earth and thus Super's chain of events were altered.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: Is it time GT gets recognized as an alternate timeline rather than just "not canon?"

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:12 pm

There isn't any evidence that it is supposed to be in another timeline, so no.

That being said, Xenoverse 2 did acknowledge Tullece and Slug as being from alternate timelines, so it's not a stretch if you really feel the need to head-canon it for yourself.
Retired.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Is it time GT gets recognized as an alternate timeline rather than just "not canon?"

Post by sintzu » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:23 pm

That's how I look at GT.

When Toriyama is done then Toei might connect it to Super somehow so it might not be an alternate timeline forever.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:35 am

YES. ABSOLUTELY. MOST DEFINITELY. I have been thinking this ever since I realized GT is seen as non-canon when I was a kid. Toei needs to start thinking like Marvel in terms of the Dragon Ball franchise and with the "Dragon Ball Room" - I'd like for them to bring some connectivity to their universe like X-Men did with Days of Future Past. As far as I'm concerned, right now: GT is the story of what could've happened if the gods had never shown up on Earth. Besides, with a good villain like Baby and the awesome concept of the Shadow Dragons - I don't see GT as non-canon because that would be a waste. In my own head-canon, it's an alternate timeline.

Besides, even Toyotaro (who from what I know went by Toyble) apparently wrote Dragon Ball AF and that has numerous references to the movies and is a literal sequel to GT and the closest piece of work that can be seen as a sequel to GT (despite being fan-made). Toyotaro even referenced GT in the Resurrection 'F' manga by having Ledgic (or someone from his race) appear as part of the Frieza Force. So, I feel like if given free reigns of the franchise - Toyotaro would do more things like this because he clearly (from his AF work) likes acknowledging everything from Dragon Ball's expansive world.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:44 am

mecha3000 wrote:Besides, with a good villain like Baby and the awesome concept of the Shadow Dragons - I don't see GT as non-canon because that would be a waste.
One thing Toei could do when Toriyama is done is move into GT's timeline while taking Super's events into account.

There were multiple new wishes made during the current stories and there will probably be more later so how would the shadow dragons turn out if those wishes were taken into account ?

How would the Super #17 arc play out if Goku and Vegeta were training with Whis during that time ?

How would the Black star arc be if the Pilaf gang never looked for the black star balls ?

How would the whole Baby plot play out if Goku's on earth ?

How would Ssj4 be with God Ki ? or would there be one to begin with ?

GT is a gold mine so hopefully they're smart enough to see the potential it has.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:56 am

sintzu wrote:One thing Toei could do when Toriyama is done is move into GT's timeline while taking Super's events into account.

There were multiple new wishes made during the current stories and there will probably be more later so how would the shadow dragons turn out if those wishes were taken into account ?

How would the Super #17 arc play out if Goku and Vegeta were training with Whis during that time ?

How would the Black star arc be if the Pilaf gang never looked for the black star balls ?

How would the whole Baby plot play out if Goku's on earth ?

How would Ssj4 be with God Ki ? or would there be one to begin with ?

GT is a gold mine so hopefully they're smart enough to see the potential it has.
Definitely, especially since Xenoverse seemingly acknowledges GT (and even the movies) as an alternate timeline as Xeno Trunks and GT Trunks are made out to be from different timelines from the way Trunks describes it. I have a friend who wants to see GT remade and re-animated (with better results this time in the story and characters) and then follow into Toyble's Dragon Ball AF - but only incorporating the newer elements into the story as well.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:25 am

I like the idea of GT being it's own timeline. It would make it easier trying to connect everything. Since ROF, I feel like they threw any possible chance to tie new material to GT. GT is like the 3D era Mortal Kombat of Dragon Ball. It has it's own share of fans, but generally it's not well like by most people.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:28 am

They need to just come out and make an official statement on GT. Either have the balls to officially kill it off or do the cop-out "It's an alternate timeline" thing, but do something with it because the fans deserve better than this "Dur, dur, dur, we'll just not mention it la-dee-da" position that they're taking.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:00 am

Considering there is still new toys/videogames merch for SSJ4 Goku, Vegeta and Gogeta...it is obvious Toei doesn't want all GT concepts to fade away.

Also we keep seeing Pan in her GT design in games. For all we know if Super does a timeskip, whatever Pan looks like in Super as a teenager might be totally different than GT Pan's design.

Dorexx
Regular

Post by Dorexx » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:31 am

I think it's quite depressing that it took so much time (assuming it will happen) for fans to see it this way, since it's actually the only logical and correct way of seeing it and the ridiculous "canon" concept has never made any sense whatsoever, and the true reason it exists is to impose certain fans' subjective preferences onto others. (I don't like DBGT so I'm going to pretend it's not real and so will you)

All official stories (and even unofficial ones, because why not?) should be seen as "real", and if something can't fit in one/main universe/timeline then all it means is it takes place in a different one.

In reality DB officially began being a multiverse with DB Movie 1, where the story diverges into a different timeline. It doesn't have to be mentioned "hey, dummy, you're seeing an alternate universe"; whenever we're witnessing an event that is in contradiction to what was previously established, the logical conclusion is that this is taking place in an alternate universe, not that "it didn't happen".
酷签名

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:37 am

Dorexx wrote:I think it's quite depressing that it took so much time (assuming it will happen) for fans to see it this way, since it's actually the only logical and correct way of seeing it and the ridiculous "canon" concept has never made any sense whatsoever, and the true reason it exists is to impose certain fans' subjective preferences onto others. (I don't like DBGT so I'm going to pretend it's not real and so will you)

All official stories (and even unofficial ones, because why not?) should be seen as "real", and if something can't fit in one/main universe/timeline then all it means is it takes place in a different one.

In reality DB officially began being a multiverse with DB Movie 1, where the story diverges into a different timeline. It doesn't have to be mentioned "hey, dummy, you're seeing an alternate universe"; whenever we're witnessing an event that is in contradiction to what was previously established, the logical conclusion is that this is taking place in an alternate universe, not that "it didn't happen".
But if it's not happening in our universe, DID it really happen?

swimtrunks
Not-So-Newbie

Post by swimtrunks » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:16 am

Yes it should. Didn't someone state the movies take place in their own alternate timelines?

And remember that minor appearance of Cooler during the Super Android 17 arc.

End of Z would be also an alternate timeline because I don't remember Pan being able to fly. Tho I've only seen it once so maybe she did. Either way, Baby Pan in DB Super seems stronger than EoZ Pan and GT Pan even though she's only like 1 years old.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:23 am

Dorexx wrote:In reality DB officially began being a multiverse with DB Movie 1, where the story diverges into a different timeline. It doesn't have to be mentioned "hey, dummy, you're seeing an alternate universe"; whenever we're witnessing an event that is in contradiction to what was previously established, the logical conclusion is that this is taking place in an alternate universe, not that "it didn't happen".
Very, very, very much this.

I think one big reason people are so insistent that GT is "Non-canon" is just because they don't like it, which annoys me. Surely if Broly can fit in the multiverse, GT can fit too.

Also, the idea a lot of people are fixated on of redoing GT's storylines in Super is an interesting thought, but the problem is, unless they come up with a creative way to spin the stories in very different ways, people would get bored. And of course, the animation in Super could never stand up to GT's(Even if you aren't a fan of GT, you have to admit -- it looked AMAZING), so they'd have quite a task on their hands. One thing I'd like to see if they redo GT storylines is they could do the Shadow Dragons saga with more than one set of characters going out and fighting the dragons, which would change up the dynamic of the fights a little, making it more interesting to watch. Additionally, they could cut the less interesting dragons, and replace them with new ones created by different wishes.
Hellspawn28 wrote:Since ROF, I feel like they threw any possible chance to tie new material to GT.
Definitely. Hell, when Beerus says the Super Saiyan God's red light will always burn within Goku(Or something to that effect), I assumed that was foreshadowing for the Super Saiyan 4 transformation when I first heard it(And if it was, the SS4 turning Goku into an adult again would make more sense, since the SSG was already shown to change his physical age to make his body more suited to its power).
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:40 pm

Dorexx wrote:The ridiculous "canon" concept has never made any sense whatsoever.

The true reason it exists is to impose certain fans' subjective preferences onto others.
If Toriyama wrote it then it's canon.

That's someone's personal canon, I prefer the Trunks and Bardock specials over their manga chapters so they're part of "my" canon but in terms of Toriyama's canon, those chapters are what's canon to his story, not the specials that I prefer.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:48 pm

As per another thread, there is no personal canon. Why do people have this incessant need for there to be a canon so much that they blur the clear difference between personal preference and canon? The entire point of the concept is to draw a distinction between personal views and those of some body or powers that be.

I would prefer some good romances, but that doesn't make them canon.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:56 pm

ABED wrote:Why do people have this incessant need for there to be a canon so much that they blur the clear difference between personal preference and canon?
If DB doesn't have a canon as you and others say then won't that make it like Tom and Jerry or loony toons ?

If DB doesn't have a canon then why do fans get upset when it goes against certain things established in past stories ?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:00 pm

I didn't say there isn't canon.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:02 pm

ABED wrote:I didn't say there isn't canon.
:oops:
ABED wrote:There is no personal canon.
Why can't you have a personal canon ?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:08 pm

Because canon is by definition determined by some official body.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:11 pm

ABED wrote:
Because canon is by definition determined by some official body.
I am an official, notarized body, and I declare that no one is allowed to give a damn either way! So say the canon gods!
Retired.