Goku in Dr. Slump 2

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Goku in Dr. Slump 2

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:59 am

Several of the episode titles for "Dr. Slump 2" contain Goku's name.
Does anyone happen to know any info about these episode's summaries, or even better; have screenshots from them? I'm not sure if Goku's a child or an adult in this crossover.

Here's the link with the episode titles: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... 72&page=25
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Goku in Dr. Slump 2

Post by DB_Fan » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:12 am

Chuquita wrote:Several of the episode titles for "Dr. Slump 2" contain Goku's name.
Does anyone happen to know any info about these episode's summaries, or even better; have screenshots from them? I'm not sure if Goku's a child or an adult in this crossover.

Here's the link with the episode titles: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... 72&page=25
I think that one of the episodes also as General Blue. That episode contains the same plot as the one in Dragon Ball, but in Dr. Slump's perspective.

Azure
Beyond Newbie

Post by Azure » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:42 am

I've been trying to get hold of those episodes for ages. Yes Asia have the Chinese VCDs but I have no idea which CD it's on. TOEI only list a handfull of random videos. *curses TOEI*

Though it'd be weird to see how it fits in since the the DB special is set some years after the end of Dr Slump.

I did find some pictures of a live action /stage. version of that story I'll see if I can find 'em.
www.voiceacting.co.uk / www.shonen.co.uk

Son Goku
Regular

Re: Goku in Dr. Slump 2

Post by Son Goku » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:50 pm

DB_Fan wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Several of the episode titles for "Dr. Slump 2" contain Goku's name.

I think that one of the episodes also as General Blue. That episode contains the same plot as the one in Dragon Ball, but in Dr. Slump's perspective.
To be exact, episodes 55-57.

Son Goku appears in episodes 4, 54-57, and 71.

Even Shen Long gets an apperance in episode 57!

Really wish I could see these... :?
I also go by "veemonjosh".

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:53 am

Now I want to watch Dr. Slump. I'm probably going to get odd stares for this, but I wish it was dubbed. :cry: That way I could get it with English translations and such.
What's scarier than a DBZ H-game?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuBVyPsL5g]Fear the dancing![/url]

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:03 am

veshira wrote:Now I want to watch Dr. Slump. I'm probably going to get odd stares for this, but I wish it was dubbed. :cry: That way I could get it with English translations and such.
Well, if you go looking around the forums here, there's one (now locked) topic that mentions that Harmony Gold tried their hand at dubbing Dr. Slump in English after viewers were given a taste of it from the DB crossover during the General Blue Saga. But I'm guessing that it didn't go anywhere.

Now that Viz is releasing the manga, I'm hoping that they'll do something with the anime as well. Hey, if they could dub something as wacky and with as many Japanese inside jokes as Bobobo, then why not Dr. Slump?
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DB_Fan » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:53 am

DaemonCorps wrote:
veshira wrote:Now I want to watch Dr. Slump. I'm probably going to get odd stares for this, but I wish it was dubbed. :cry: That way I could get it with English translations and such.
Well, if you go looking around the forums here, there's one (now locked) topic that mentions that Harmony Gold tried their hand at dubbing Dr. Slump in English after viewers were given a taste of it from the DB crossover during the General Blue Saga. But I'm guessing that it didn't go anywhere.

Now that Viz is releasing the manga, I'm hoping that they'll do something with the anime as well. Hey, if they could dub something as wacky and with as many Japanese inside jokes as Bobobo, then why not Dr. Slump?
They tried to dub the original Dr. Slump, from the 80's. Goku appears in the second version, aired between 1997 and 1999.

Azure
Beyond Newbie

Post by Azure » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:49 am

The Harmony Gold Slump is floating around the internet now, things like the panty scene are gone. There's also a German DVD of Dr Slump but I have no idea how many episodes or what version.

As for another English version try googling, you mght find something... :D
www.voiceacting.co.uk / www.shonen.co.uk

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:04 am

DaemonCorps wrote:

The topic also had a Youtube link to the entire episode Harmony Gold dubbed.

Dr. Slump COULD get dubbed by Viz, but I'd be worried when they get to the second series (are they good enough pals with Funimation?).

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:29 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Slump 2 the version done by the GT animators?

Another thing here, when Goku appeared with General Blue in Slump 2, was General Blue in his Path to Power guise? Gah...I wish someone would get a hold of these episodes and dub them...preferrably not Viz, but someone like FUNi, that way we could get the uncut episodes from the beginning... :?
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:02 pm

Chaos Saiyajin wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Slump 2 the version done by the GT animators?

Another thing here, when Goku appeared with General Blue in Slump 2, was General Blue in his Path to Power guise? Gah...I wish someone would get a hold of these episodes and dub them...preferrably not Viz, but someone like FUNi, that way we could get the uncut episodes from the beginning... :?
Well, as I said before, it seems like they're doing a somewhat good job with Bo-bobo, and their translation of Naruto practically keeps the entire JP script, so I'm confident that Viz should be able to make a good translation of the series (though I don't really know how they would handle those JP jokes, but I guess it just wouldn't seem as goofy for anyone not in the know).

But yeah, I see where you're coming from, since Viz is weird like that and releases edited only stuff on DVD :?. As long as 4Kids doesn't do the dub, I'm fine with that.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:03 pm

Okay you would not believe this but I just typed in a really long summary and it got lost somehow so I'll try this again. I happen to have the first one hour special of this arc but it was in japanese so I may mess up on a few details.

So Arale and her friends are playing a game of hide and seek and in the process of looking for them she instead finds a dragonball and meets Gokuh who is chowing down on a crocodile. He notices her dragonball and finds that it is the seventh and final ball. He asks for it but she says he has to catch her first so a high speed chase ensues. Gokuh uses the kintoun to catch up and retrieves the ball. Arale then starts bugging him about wanting to ride the kintoun but he tells her it's not for children to play with and flies off. Somehow she boards and grabs Gokuh's tail causing him to fall off the cloud into the jungle below. When he comes to he finds that he has lost one of the balls and that the radar has broken. Arale tells him that the professor can fix it and they go off to see him. Meanwhile the Red Ribbon army locates the dragonballs on the radar.

Gokuh and arale arrive at Senbei's place and ask him to fix the radar. Gokuh tells him the legend of Shenlong and he doesn't believe him but agrees to fix it anyway which will take him forever..... Midori asks Gokuh to stay while Senbei fixes the radar and the usual Gokuh dinner scene ensues. When Gokuh wakes up the next day he finds that his Nyoi bou is gone because Midori has used it to hang up laundry and he extends it to help her out. Afterwards Gokuh and Arale go out to see her friends who all want to ride the cloud too. Only Obotchaman succeeds and Akane gets pissed whereupon Gokuh gives her a "pat pat" and she decides to leave on her scooter. she nearly gets run over by a truck but Gokuh rescues her saying that his granndpa told him to be kind to women. Anyway, they play hide and seek until late and there is lucky!! A full moon! So Gokuh starts transforming and tears up the place which Arale thinks is totally awesome. She grabs him by the tail in play and swings him around. When he comes crashing to the ground he reverts to his normal self strangely enough. Yay. Murasaki watches from the bushes and has his painful Gokuh flashback...he plots revenge.

The next day Gokuh decides to go to school with Arale since there's food there and they race with Obotchaman to the school. Murasaki who was hiding under a rock gives chase but loses them and runs into King Nikochan and his Takoyaki cart. They make a deal to steal the dragonballs. Meanwhile, Gokuh and co. crash through the school window and are disciplined. In class, Gokuh is asked a math problem and he proceeds to calculate it on his fingers and toes, and then on other people's because he runs out. By lunchtime he still doesn't know the answer and the teacher wont give him lunch until he does. Finally he figures out the right answer but then the principal announces a health checkup and his lunch is taken away again. =insert naked Gokuh scene= The doctor who is actually Murasaki reveals himself to Gokuh and then runs off with King Nikochan and his cohort who stole the dragonballs during the checkup. Gokuh flies after them and the Murasaki calls upon his copy ninjas and much fighting ensues. Gokuh is too hungry to give a good fight so he returns to school for lunch while Arale finishes Murasaki off. Gokuh returns and forces the last Murasaki to surrender the dragonballs. Meanwhile. King Nikochan and his partner have betrayed and were trying to make a wish of their own, but since there weren't enough dragonballs this fails. Gokuh comes and picks up the balls. Blue arrives to hear a report from Murasaki and finds that he has failed. He decides to take care of Gokuh himself. End!

I don't have any episodes after this but according to the scenes from the next episode Arale and Gokuh are ambushed yadda yadda yadda. I recommend actually watching this because it's pretty amusing and the description isn't really as good. Man, I wear myself out...
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:46 pm

Wow, those two episodes sound like lots of fun. :3 Thank you so much for the summary. I hope this series eventually gets dubbed or placed onto YouTube so I can watch it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:51 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:
Chaos Saiyajin wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Slump 2 the version done by the GT animators?

Well, as I said before, it seems like they're doing a somewhat good job with Bo-bobo, and their translation of Naruto practically keeps the entire JP script, so I'm confident that Viz should be able to make a good translation of the series (though I don't really know how they would handle those JP jokes, but I guess it just wouldn't seem as goofy for anyone not in the know).

But yeah, I see where you're coming from, since Viz is weird like that and releases edited only stuff on DVD :?. As long as 4Kids doesn't do the dub, I'm fine with that.
Viz only does that with their kids' shows. Inuyasha and Ranma aren't released as edited dubs and I have a feeling Bleach won't be either.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:08 pm

Super Sonic wrote:Viz only does that with their kids' shows. Inuyasha and Ranma aren't released as edited dubs and I have a feeling Bleach won't be either.
They're gonna dub Bleach? Anyways, they've been releasing edited Naruto eps on DVD, just so they can make even more money when they release the episodes in uncut format later this year. I hate it when these companies actually think ahead to make more money. :x...

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:55 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:Viz only does that with their kids' shows. Inuyasha and Ranma aren't released as edited dubs and I have a feeling Bleach won't be either.
They're gonna dub Bleach? Anyways, they've been releasing edited Naruto eps on DVD, just so they can make even more money when they release the episodes in uncut format later this year. I hate it when these companies actually think ahead to make more money. :x...
Yep. It's debuting on Adult Swim this fall. Don't know anything about casting so no idea if they're using Ocean or the Naruto and Zatch Bell cast which includes many Digi-alum.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:38 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
DaemonCorps wrote:
Yep. It's debuting on Adult Swim this fall. Don't know anything about casting so no idea if they're using Ocean or the Naruto and Zatch Bell cast which includes many Digi-alum.
Seriously :roll:, Naruto has so many of the Digimon cast... And ugh, now I have to program my DVR to record Bleach... such a hassle...

Would you think Dr. Slump would be put into Adult Swim if it were ever dubbed (or I guess re-dubbed)? I mean, it's pretty srude if you think about it :roll:.

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DB_Fan » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:21 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:
DaemonCorps wrote: They're gonna dub Bleach? Anyways, they've been releasing edited Naruto eps on DVD, just so they can make even more money when they release the episodes in uncut format later this year. I hate it when these companies actually think ahead to make more money. :x...
Seriously :roll:, Naruto has so many of the Digimon cast... And ugh, now I have to program my DVR to record Bleach... such a hassle...

Would you think Dr. Slump would be put into Adult Swim if it were ever dubbed (or I guess re-dubbed)? I mean, it's pretty srude if you think about it :roll:.
That is the reason why it was never dubbed, it is meant for kids, but there all lots of adult jokes. It is too mature for young children, but not mature enough for Adult Swim.

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:53 pm

DB_Fan wrote:
That is the reason why it was never dubbed, it is meant for kids, but there all lots of adult jokes. It is too mature for young children, but not mature enough for Adult Swim.
Toonami isn't in ether group. It could easily be Bo-bobo's replacement when it wraps up next year.

Seriously, I've read the first two volumes of the manga, and the only thing I could see edited from the anime is Senbe's mishaps at the clothing store in the first episode.

Panda
Beyond Newbie

Post by Panda » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:04 am

Just remember, everytime something bad is happening to you. Something even worse is happening to someone else.