Is Goku a self-insert?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

keyz05
Beyond Newbie

Is Goku a self-insert?

Post by keyz05 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:08 pm

In any of the DragonBall source material, has people ever predicted that Goku could be part of one of Toriyama's life stories?

If not, then does anyone else have any evidence that Goku is a self-insert?

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Is Goku a self-insert?

Post by Doctor. » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:24 pm

In order to be a self-insert, you either have to be as bland as possible and completely devoid of any personality, or a character who feels like a real person.

Goku doesn't fit the bill.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:27 pm

I would pity Toriyama's family if he was.
Last edited by DBZAOTA482 on Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:16 pm

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
If anything, Gohan in ROF was more of a self-insert. Maybe all the Gohan fans talking trash about ROF Gohan made Akira Toriyama mad and basically say fuck you to all the Gohan fans :lol:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:00 pm

Senbei Norimaki from Dr. Slump is who always felt like the author insert for Toriyama to me.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:22 pm

While I'm certain Toriyama has ignored his family at points to draw manga, I doubt he's ever willfully endangered the world in doing so.

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:30 pm

Not really.

You wanna see a real self-insert though? One so obvious the "creator"
complained he wasn't in a recent movie?

olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:37 pm

I'm pretty sure that Toriyama isn't a literal retard.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:41 pm

CashmanX wrote:Not really.

You wanna see a real self-insert though? One so obvious the "creator"
complained he wasn't in a recent movie?
Koyama's whining about Broly not being in BOG was so amazing. He gives one paragraph of his review to the movie then says "But what about Broly? Anyone else miss Broly? I mean man, Broly. Sigh".
I was surprised right from the opening.
Once it started with the familiar “waves crashing into rocks” opening that is a byword for Toei, it then went into the 20th Century Fox opening, and continued with a credit for Toei Animation. Such wonderment. Actually, it’s because 20th Century Fox was involved in the production. I know the situation and some behind-the-scenes stories concerning that, but it’s top-secret information, so I can’t write about it.

And so, as for substance of the issue at hand…….

In handling the scripts for the films, what I always worried about each time was the problem of what to do about the opponent Goku fights against. That’s because, at the very least, they had to be stronger than [the ones from] the previous movie. After much hard work, I was unable to come up with an opponent stronger than Broli, and fell into a rut where I made him appear three times. That is to say, there’s the matter of questioning the idea of Broli as the strongest. As you are well aware, vehement opinions on the subject have been flying back and forth on this message board, as well as a variety of [other] websites.

For this time, Goku’s opponent, designed by Toriyama-sensei, was even a God of Destruction. In the world of Dragon Ball Z, that’s a setting where even Broli, before the God of Destruction, would face a gap like that between a Yokozuna and the very bottom of the sumo ranks. That Broli, reduced to a pushover.

Only, from the impression I got of the character on the screen, Broli was scarier, no contest. Am I the only one who found that Broli looked overwhelmingly frightening? Or am I just biased towards my own creation?

Any more than this would become a spoiler, so I’ll hold off on it, but Noppo would like to hear the impressions of the Broli fans….
My favorite part is how he takes offense at a movie villain being stronger than Broly, as if he didn't create Janemba and Hildegarn.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:14 am

Senbei is definitely more of a self insert, especially the way that he and Toriyama are both the creators of Arale which kind of reminds me of the Sorcerer's Apprentice in Fantasia where Mickey Mouse is taught by a powerful sorcerer whose name is "Yen Sid" (Disney spelt backwards) and is made to look like Walt Disney. Also apparently Toriyama himself even said that he may have based Senbei's design on himself, not just this but also whenever Toriyama is asked to describe himself he often makes himself sound like a lazy incompetent pervert which Senbei fits the bill for. On top of all this he made a thinly-veiled parody of his editor Torishima to be the villain.

Abra kadabra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Abra kadabra » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:36 am

Gohan is the self insert. It's painfully clear during the Cell arc

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:42 am

Abra kadabra wrote:Gohan is the self insert. It's painfully clear during the Cell arc
How does Gohan at any point in the series reflect Akira Toriyama in any way? What basis do you have for this assessment?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Abra kadabra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Abra kadabra » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:33 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Abra kadabra wrote:Gohan is the self insert. It's painfully clear during the Cell arc
How does Gohan at any point in the series reflect Akira Toriyama in any way? What basis do you have for this assessment?
I confused the term with reader insert lol

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:26 am

Masako Nozawa gave a recent interview(for either BoG or Super) where she comments on how alike Goku and Toriyama can be in there easy-going ways; neither of them spend too much time worrying or dwelling on the past. It might have been BoG, considering Goku is literally wearing Toriyama's blue tracksuit from his chin-down TV interview at the time.

I don't think it's a conscious decision; you write what you know.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:48 pm

Goku's no self insert. He's asexual while Akira Toriyama always calls himself an "old pervert."
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu