Head Canon is DUMB

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

Re: Head Canon is DUMB

Post by Thouser » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:32 pm

Ssenrof wrote: Gas Giant: A type of planet- not a giant made of gas
Well, it refers to a kind of giant planet made of gas, so it actually is a giant made of gas.
Ssenrof wrote: Historiography: a interpretation of events- not a blend of history and geography.
There are lots of other words that end in "-graphy" (oceanography, typography, iconography), not just geography. The ending comes from Greek and literally means writings about something (hence why it's used for fields of study).

These weren't very good examples, since ABED's main contention is that "headcanon" is an oxymoron (i.e. It can't be canon if it's in your head.). "Historiography" and "gas giant" aren't oxymorons. "Watershed" and "piecemeal" aren't either.

A better example would be something like "manchild." A contention might be that "a man by definition isn't a child." I would argue that such a contention misses the point of the term.
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:55 am

Thouser wrote:
Ssenrof wrote: Historiography: a interpretation of events- not a blend of history and geography.
There are lots of other words that end in "-graphy" (oceanography, typography, iconography), not just geography. The ending comes from Greek and literally means writings about something (hence why it's used for fields of study).
In addition to the above, this isn't even what "historiography" means. A historiography the study of the methodology of historians, not of their interpretations of events.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:00 am

This forum is probably the first place I encountered the term "head canon." It took me about a second to figure it out, if that. But, nerds love arguing semantics.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:34 am

I agree with OP, I mean it's rather simple you have what's canon and what's not and basta, the rest is speculation or theories at best lol

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:41 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:I agree with OP, I mean it's rather simple you have what's canon and what's not and basta, the rest is speculation or theories at best lol
Yes. 100%. But that's not the point. You won't find anybody on here (well I don't think you will) that's saying that their headcanon is anything more than how they believe the series flows for them. It is personal preference and everyone is well-aware of that. The term -- regardless of how improperly constructed -- is a real term and that's what it means, so that's how people use it.