How do you personally pronounce "Saiyan"?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

How do you personally pronounce "Saiyan"?

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:34 pm

So I found an older thread on this recently (I believe it was from 2013), and it made me curious about how many people retain their use of the pronunciation they stated they used then, and how the newer users say it.

I use the FUNimation way, "Say-yan", though I don't have an issue with "Sigh-yan".
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Re: How do you personally pronounce "Saiyan"?

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:37 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:So I found an older thread on this recently (I believe it was from 2013), and it made me curious about how many people retain their use of the pronunciation they stated they used then, and how the newer users say it.

I use the FUNimation way, "Say-yan", though I don't have an issue with "Sigh-yan".
Same here, I use the Funimation pronunciation too.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:44 pm

soppa saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he face Jingonigen-hachigo.
But for real, I use the Funi pronunciation.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:03 pm

Sigh-yan. God, I hate peer pressure.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:07 pm

Lunatic Fringe wrote:Sigh-yan. God, I hate peer pressure.
Same. Sometimes I say Saiyajin when I've been watching a dub that says it like the German or Latin Spanish dubs.

Personally, I hate the "Say-an" pronunciation.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:14 pm

Saiyajin. Because the German version did not make a translated version.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:18 pm

Say-an. I'd like to pronounce it the other way but I'm not Asian.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:25 pm

Well, in english I got used to "SayAn." The technical right pronunciation I think should be Sa-i-Gian." I used to get upset when people said "SaYan" but now I completely understand why SayAn sounds better in english.
In Spanish I go with "Sa-Ya-Jin."
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:27 pm

I was probably the only DBZ fan in the UK as a kid who would pronounce it as "Sigh-yan". I mean, with how the word is spelt, how could not think to say it that way?

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:27 pm

I like Sigh-yan and Saiajin.

But I grew up on the funimation dub so I usually default to Say-in
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:28 pm

Admittedly it's Say-an/Say-in for me but if the powers that be suddenly changed it to Sigh-an tomorrow then I'd be totally fine with that. Unfortunately I think the damage has already been done and it's too late to go back and fix it. As much as I sympathise with those who prefer the correct pronunciation this is a battle I don't really feel compelled to fight for.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:30 pm

The same way you pronounce Saiya-jin, except you replace "jin" with "yan", basically "Sigh-ya-n" . Mainly because that's what the dub I grew up with uses. And even though I watched Funi's version, for some reason I never realized they pronounce it as "Say-ya-n" until I saw people talking about it.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:33 pm

These days 'Sigh-an' comes most naturally, though I make a point to say both if I'm doing a video.

If I'm talking casually to someone in real life, then I'll just use 'Say-an' to avoid awkwardness. Though I tend to forget a lot of dub terms, so that doesn't always solve that issue!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:37 pm

Same as Japanese but with “-nin” instead of “-jin” at the end (Polish pronunciation) (For example: “Ziemia” means “Earth”, Ziemianin means “Earthling”)

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:41 pm

Saiya-jin. Because its been thoroughly seared deeply into my brain as that since 1992.

In more recent years however, I do occaisionally let slip a "Sigh-An" once in a great while
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:23 pm

precita wrote:Say-an. I'd like to pronounce it the other way but I'm not Asian.
Were you being sarcastic on that last part?

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:38 pm

I try to always pronounce it as Sigh-an but I sometimes slip into saying Say-an out of habit. Also if I'm in a conversation with other fans chances are they'll almost definitely use the Say-an pronunciation so I say it like that to avoid confusion or having to awkwardly clarify "actually you're the one pronouncing it wrong" because there's no way to say that without coming off as a dick.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:04 pm

Funimation pronunciation (say-in). Even being aware of how Japanese pronunciation works, this is one thing I can't bring myself to say "properly". I've been saying it the wrong way for too long (this also applies to "saga" vs "arc" specifically in relation to Dragon Ball, though I'm a bit more willing to correct my wording there).

It doesn't help that the "Sigh-an" pronunciation is the same as the English word "Scion"...and also the car from Toyota, so it just feels kinda awkward to me.
Last edited by Theophrastus on Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian Malacoda
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Adrian Malacoda » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:37 pm

As in "scientist" (e.g. "Your father was an average fighter, but he was a brilliant Saiyan"), although I don't have any strong preference for "sigh-an" vs "sigh-in" the latter is more natural to me.

Sometimes when talking to my brother or friends I code-switch to the Funimation pronunciation, because that's what they're used to and I don't want to come off as overly pedantic. But whenever I see a "just Saiyan" pun I pronounce it in my head the correct way, and sigh inwardly.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:55 pm

Theophrastus wrote:It doesn't help that the "Sigh-an" pronunciation is the same as the English word "Scion"...and also the car from Toyota, so it just feels kinda awkward to me.
But "Say-yan" is the same as the English word "sayin'". It goes both ways in this particular case. :wink:
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune