Kanzenshuu members' favorite arcs!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Kanzenshuu members' favorite arcs!

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:01 pm

Alright this is something I saw on another forum, and I thought it be neat to do it with Kanzenshuu. So here's how it goes, state your top 5 favorite arcs from Dragon Ball. This includes OGDB, Z, GT and Super. Basically your #1 favorite arc will be worth 5 points, 2 4 points, 3 3 points. 4 2 points and 5 1 point. Please explain why you enjoy these arcs. The deadline will be December 6th and I'll rank them somewhere between the 7th and the 10th. The arcs with the least amount of points will be ranked last before we finish with the arc that got the most points. Also for the arcs, please use these for their names.
1.Pilaf/Goku/Hunt for the DBs arc, for the first arc.
2.21st tournament/budokai for the 2nd arc.
3.The Red Ribbon/Hunt for the DBs part 2, for the arc after the tournament and before the 22nd tournament.
4.22nd tournament/Budokai/Tenshinhan arc, for the 22nd tournament.
5.Demon King Piccolo/King Piccolo/Piccolo Daimao arc,for the arc that starts with Kuririn's death and ends with Goku training with Kami.
6. Piccolo/Ma Jr/23rd tournament arc. For the 3rd tournament
7. Saiyan/Vegeta arc, for the arc that starts with Raditz landing and ends with Vegeta's retreat
8. Freeza/Namek arc for the arc that starts after Gohan, Kuririn and Goku are in the hospital and ends with Nameks explosion.
9. Cell/Androids arc, for the arc that starts with Freeza's return and ends with Goku choosing to stay dead.
10. Boo/Buu arc for the arc that starts with Gohan going to School and ends with Kid Boo's defeat.
11. Baby/Bebi arc. (includes that Black Star DBs arc)
12. Super 17 arc.
13.Shadow Dragons arc.
14. BOG/Beerus arc.
15. ROF arc.
16. Champa arc.
17. Zamazu/Goku Black arc.
Deadline is December 6th
Last edited by Soppa Saia People on Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:41 pm, edited 14 times in total.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Re: Kanzenshuu members favorite arcs!

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:11 pm

Question, why do we need to explain why we like each arc? Is that really mandatory for a ranking system?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:12 pm

Lunatic Fringe wrote:Question, why do we need to explain why we like each arc? Is that really mandatory for a ranking system?
I'd prefer it, but it's not a necessity.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:22 pm

1. Saiyan Saga
2. 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai
3. Namek Saga
4. Android/Cell Saga
5. 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:54 pm

I think it'd be better for everyone to comment their top 5. It would be higher on the list of available threads and thus you'll get more answers.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:14 pm

Boo arc is my favorite. After that, it's easier to identify arcs I find slightly more boring than others than it is to rank a second- or third-favorite, as I like all of them to some extent and it's more about the role they play in the series as a whole than how they operate as stand-alone stories. Really, it's the ones I don't enjoy as much (22nd Tenkaichi Budokai, Cell arc, at least in its second half) that stand out.

I'm not sure how to rank GT or Super's arcs alongside the manga's either, for a variety of reasons.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:56 pm

1. Saiyan
2. Buu
3. Zamasu
4. Daimao
5. Freeza
6. Cell/Android
7. BOG
8. 23rd Budokai
9. 22nd Budokai
10. 21st Budokai
11. Red Ribbon
12. Pilaf
13. Dog shit
14. ROF
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:14 pm

kinisking wrote:I think it'd be better for everyone to comment their top 5. It would be higher on the list of available threads and thus you'll get more answers.
Fair point. I'll change that.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:23 pm

My favorite arc is the Buu arc, Vegeta got great character development in it, we got him and Goku's rematch, Ssj3, fusions, Mystic Gohan, Buu was a strong, scary and funny villain, the arc was great at being serious and funny at the same time & there were a lot of call backs to previous events which made it feel like a true satisfying conclusion to the story (at the time of course) which is amazing when you look at how disappoiningly Bleach, Toriko, Yu Yu Hakusho and other long Shonen manga have ended.

My 2nd favorite arc is the androids followed by Namek, #4 would be the Saiyan arc and finally the 23rd Tenkaichi arc.
Last edited by sintzu on Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:33 pm

I never had a favorite saga, as I like every one of them equally. But as of now... I think Future Trunks comes off as the top one for me (if Dragon Ball Online counts as a saga, then obviously it's it).
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:38 pm

1. Boo arc. Characters were at their absolute best during this time. Majin vegeta had lines that gave me chills, vegeta afterwards became nicer and more like the hero we have today, Goku was mature, Goten and Trunks were fighters instead of comedic relief, and ultimate Gohan (and boo arc Gohan in general) is the best character ever imo. Coupled with my favorite villian and fun fusions? 10/10.

2. Cell arc. Future trunks and the androids were great characters. Gohan was dissapointing but he still had some badass moments. Him killing cell juniors might just be my favorite moment in DBZ. Vegeta getting mad at future trunks was great too. 9.5/10

This is where it gets hard.
3. I guess this would go to Freeza arc. I remember as a kid eagerly anticipating Goku's super saiyan transformation every time I watched. It was really great stuff. I really got to say that this was Goku's arc. He had tons of great moments. Literally everything he did this arc was gold. Vegeta was also extremely tactical here. Gohan and krillins dynamic was also fun. 9.2/10

4.Saiyan saga. Goku and Piccolo's dynamic was pretty interesting here. This saga might have been the last time I actually enjoyed piccolo's character. After this, he got pretty boring. Also goku Vs Vegeta was amazing. 9. 1/10

5. 22nd tournament arc. The fight between Goku and Tien was exhilarating. I remember as a kid seeing Goku lose the way he did made me all sorts of angry haha. 9/10
Last edited by kinisking on Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:39 pm

Mine would be-

1. Boo arc- I really enjoyed the first half with High School/ Great saiyaman Gohan. This was what made Gohan my favorite and made me appreciate him a lot more. Plus the reveal of Majin buu being this gigantic mass of living bubblegum will always be my favorite villain reveal. The second half i have a few gripes with but it still had some cool moments and the final battle with Kid buu as to be one of my favorites.

2. Saiyan arc- Probably the one place where the majority of filler was really good and appropriate, I feel. Plus everyone banding together to fight Nappa and everyone working together to bring down Vegeta was a great ride all the way through.

3. 21st tournament/budokai for the 2nd arc.- It's just so damn cute and charming. I can't not love it. To meeting Lunch, to the training, and the tournament itself. I loved it all. One of the arcs I can watch over and over.

4. Black/ Zamasu- Black. nuff said.

5. Freeza/ Namek- The arc where Vegeta stole the show for a good while. Seeing 3 different parties flying around each other and out smarting the other trying to find the dragonballs was great. Plus Freeza himself is just a treat. Can't forget the debut of those lovely blond locks either.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:47 pm

kinisking wrote:Boo arc Gohan in general is the best character ever.
There's nothing like watching Gohan beat the hell out of Super Buu. 8)

Buu arc Gohan is how Gohan should always be written, sure he doesn't train and is a bit out of shape fighting wise but he's still able to hold his own against the best of them and defend the planet.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:50 pm

sintzu wrote:
kinisking wrote:Boo arc Gohan in general is the best character ever.
There's nothing like watching Gohan beat the hell out of Super Buu. 8)

Buu arc Gohan is how Gohan should always be written, sure he doesn't train and is a bit out of shape fighting wise but he's still able to hold his own against the best of them and defend the planet.
Basically. It's so strange that the difference in 7 years was smaller than a one year difference. Gohan literally must have been sitting on the couch eating nothing but slim Jim's and drinking nothing but monster energy drinks.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:52 pm

Boo Machine wrote:Seeing 3 different parties flying around each other and out smarting the other trying to find the dragonballs was great.
It's this kind of writing that makes me really miss Toriyama's old writing style, each arc had so much going on compared to his current stories.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:00 pm

1.23rd Budokai- The manga looked it's best here imo, and Jr. was great. I honestly wouldn't have minded if this were to end the series.
2.Piccolo Daimao- The manga was beautiful, and there was an actual sense of urgency.
3.RR Army- The manga specifically was really fun, and the G Gohan meet up was good.
4.Saiyan- Liked the anime version more. Didn't like how after these characters died though they'd be rendered basically useless from then on, though.
5.Freeza- I liked the first SSJ fight most of all, even though some Namek shenanigans got old quickly in the anime.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:01 pm

Well, I'll just paste what I wrote in the PM:
1. #16 ROF Arc
Freeza being my favorite character is an immediate trigger for this one. I admire the revenge plot, as basic as it may be. The new soldiers have appealing designs as well (Sorbet, Tagoma, Shisami). Golden Freeza and Super Saiyan Blue are two of my favorite things in the franchise, as I love the looks of them.

2. #18 Zamasu Arc
I enjoyed the mystery surrounding Goku Black and his relation to Zamasu. Loved the time travel aspect, and actually everything about it except one part of the ending (spoilers).
[spoiler]Two Future Trunks and Mais feels very awkward.[/spoiler]
3. #08 Namek Arc
Freeza's ruthlessness, cruelty, and "I'll never give up" attitude are the makings of a true villain. It was also interesting to explore an original planet. Of course, the introduction of Super Saiyan tops it all off, as it's one aspect that makes Dragon Ball as iconic as it is.

4. #07 Saiyan Arc
Mostly enjoyed this arc for the fights, though the plot is also intriguing. I appreciate how well it flows into the Namek Arc.

5. #17 Champa Arc
A simple tournament, yes, but it had some of the most interesting characters in the franchise. Not only were the designs diverse, but we also had unique abilities (Botamo is unaffected by physical attacks, Frost has poison, Magetta is mentally unstable in one sense, Hit can skip time). I also liked the setting of the tournament, aside from the lack of spectators from Universe 6.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:10 pm

Upon further reflection and having read this post:
Boo Machine wrote:Mine would be-

1. Boo arc- I really enjoyed the first half with High School/ Great saiyaman Gohan. This was what made Gohan my favorite and made me appreciate him a lot more. Plus the reveal of Majin buu being this gigantic mass of living bubblegum will always be my favorite villain reveal. The second half i have a few gripes with but it still had some cool moments and the final battle with Kid buu as to be one of my favorites.

2. Saiyan arc- Probably the one place where the majority of filler was really good and appropriate, I feel. Plus everyone banding together to fight Nappa and everyone working together to bring down Vegeta was a great ride all the way through.

3. 21st tournament/budokai for the 2nd arc.- It's just so damn cute and charming. I can't not love it. To meeting Lunch, to the training, and the tournament itself. I loved it all. One of the arcs I can watch over and over.

4. Black/ Zamasu- Black. nuff said.

5. Freeza/ Namek- The arc where Vegeta stole the show for a good while. Seeing 3 different parties flying around each other and out smarting the other trying to find the dragonballs was great. Plus Freeza himself is just a treat. Can't forget the debut of those lovely blond locks either.
Both the Namek arc and 21st Tenkaichi Budokai are strong contenders for second/third-favorite for the reasons listed above. The first part of the Namek arc with all its cat-and-mouse games, in addition to the unexpected seriousness of the situation Gohan, Kuririn and Bulma walk into, is so well done. It makes perfect sense that the Saiyans catching wind of the Dragon Balls on Earth would lead to the greater organization targeting Namek to look for the other set. Watching Freeza's army get chipped away from the start of the arc, where it's seemingly unassailable, to the end, is immensely satisfying, and say what you will about the length of the Freeza fight, it's an extremely effective climax and dynamic the whole way through (at least in the manga; the anime more or less collapses around the time Goku arrives, and its pacing kills some of the tension of the earlier cat-and-mouse games as well).

The 21st Tenkaichi Budokai, along with the training material that precedes it, is an absolute joy in both versions. I think it's my favorite complete tournament of the lot. So fun, and so promising for the rest of the series.

I'll have to watch the Future Trunks/Zamasu/Black arc again at some point. I absolutely love the ending, but given that the versions we have of it are the slipshod anime and the understandably condensed manga, I'm still hesitant to say it touches any of the original arcs. Maybe in some hypothetical version where fewer of the episode-by-episode scripts are garbage. Right now I think I like it in theory/because of its ending more than I do in execution/for the first ninety percent of its episodes.

Part of the reason I have trouble ranking GT in something like this is that, while I really enjoy it as a whole for its atmosphere and ending, I don't think I could pull an individual storyline from it and argue for comparing it to any of the manga arcs. At the same time, are there portions of it I would rather rewatch than certain portions of Dragon Ball or Z? Yeah, handily. Is that because of some of the atmosphere it has as a TV show rather than actual plot points in a way that could be compared to the manga storylines? Also yeah. Portions of it are even structured episodically (monster-of-the-week dragons, before the arc becomes serious) in a way I think is fine for its format, but difficult to compare against a serialized manga or adaptation thereof.

And what to do with Super? I think its first two arcs are terrible, but I like both their corresponding movies, with Battle of Gods in particular being one of the best isolated Dragon Ball things ever. So is that one of my favorite "arcs"? It's not a storyline, so it doesn't feel right to compare it to any of the manga or TV arcs. As a movie, it's designed to operate on such different terms.

Also,
Soppa Saiya People wrote:11. Black Star Dragon Ball arc.
12. Baby/Bebi arc.
Is there really a point in separating these? I get that episode 22 acts as a climax of sorts, but it's still all one storyline that begins with Goku being turned into a child and ends with his fight against Baby.

If the second hunt for the Dragon Balls is collectively one storyline between the Red Ribbon army material and the mini-arc at Uranai Baba's, so is this.
Last edited by Cipher on Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:27 pm

Cipher wrote:Is there really a point in separating these? I get that episode 22 acts as a climax of sorts, but it's still all one storyline that begins with Goku being turned into a child and ends with his fight against Baby.
They're like the Saiyan and Freeza arcs, one leads into the other but they're also seperate arcs.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:34 pm

sintzu wrote:They're like the Saiyan and Freeza arcs, one leads into the other but they're also seperate arcs.
I don't think that quite works. The Saiyan arc presents an end goal and clear climax before transitioning into the Namek arc (which deals with its fallout). The problem of the Ultimate Dragon Balls continues right through the end of the fight with Baby. Episode 23 still focuses on Goku, Trunks and Pan in space; episode 22 ends with Baby being like, "I'm going to fuck those Saiyans up," and nothing has been resolved. There isn't a major climax to the whole storyline until Baby's defeat. It's just that, in typical Dragon Ball fashion, the climax is a weird, superpowered battle it would have been literally impossible to predict at the start of the arc.

The thing it's most comparable to would be the second hunt for the Dragon Balls, where Goku attacking the Red Ribbon base is presented as a clear climax to the conflict that informs most of the storyline before the group convenes at Uranai Baba's for another little arc (which also has its own beginning, middle and climax). I think it's actually easier to argue for those being separate arcs than the first forty episodes of GT, though I'd personally group them together as one large journey as well.