Kanzenshuu members' favorite arcs!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Re: Kanzenshuu members favorite arcs! Please read the original post!

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:11 pm

5. 22nd BT Arc

4. 23rd BT Arc

3. Buu Arc

2. Freeza Arc

1. Saiyan Arc

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:42 pm

5. Piccolo Daimao Arc
I loved this arc. It was emotional, it was different. This arc really evolved Dragon Ball in my opinion. The twists and turns -- from Kuririn's death, to Goku's vengeance, to the Mafuba, to Piccolo killing Shen Long -- were great.

4. Saiyan Arc
This is the arc that took it up a notch and set the series off in a course that took it from "Hey, it's this fun little series," to epic proportions. This is the arc that set the bar for the rest of the series and is the reason for why most fans got into the series.

3. Boo Arc
I know that this one gets a lot of flack, but I really enjoyed it. I liked Gohan going to school and I liked seeing a side of the characters where they're not constantly thrust into battle. It's been a while since the characters got to take a breather and it was nice to see a "slide of life" side. Then, it was nice to finally have a villain that had nothing to do with the others that came before it. Boo himself was unique and some liked it, some didn't. I really liked that we got to see an older Gohan, a kid Trunks, and the introduction of Gotenks. I enjoyed how close the fighters would get to winning only to have a monkey wrench thrown into it and having to go back to the drawing board. That happened a few times in this arc. It kept the viewer at the edge of his or her seat. The reason why this arc doesn't get put up higher on my list is because I feel that it started falling apart when Goku would flip flop on his power and I didn't appreciate the fusions; they seemed like cop-outs.

2. Cell/Cyborg Arc
I loved this arc. For the longest time, this was my favorite. I enjoyed everything about this arc. It also had many twists and turns. This arc introduced so many new things that the characters could do. This also introduced future Trunks. I believe that Vegeta's character began evolving very heavily here, which was nice. It was also great to see Gohan grow into the warrior that he was destined to be from the very beginning.

1. Freeza Arc
This is hands-down the best arc of the series for me. The story-telling was great. The villain was extremely memorable. I simply enjoyed everything about this arc. The beginning with Gohan, Kuririn, and Bulma coming to Namek was a bit dragging, but from the moment that Vegeta started having fights on Namek, this arc just hit a homerun over and over and over again. I loved it.

HONORABLE MENTIONS: Baby Arc and Evil Shen Longs Arc
I really enjoyed these. The story-telling and everything was pretty good. These arcs probably get way more flack than they deserve. They were entertaining for what they were and I really did enjoy them. Their worst traits were that they were severely rushed, but the idea behind the story was fantastic.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:54 pm

1. Saiyan
2. 21st Budokai
3. RR Army
4. Namek
5. 23rd Budokai

Also, I think it would be really helpful to see what language you prefer the show in English or Japanese and compare those results. I think those would be some facisnating findings. I have a strong feeling that the language you prefer will help us detect patterns in what arcs people prefer. I would predict those who prefer the show in English would mostly lean towards the Z portion with little to no DB representation. But thats just my guess...
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:02 pm

MarCas92 wrote:1. Saiyan
2. 21st Budokai
3. RR Army
4. Namek
5. 23rd Budokai

Also, I think it would be really helpful to see what language you prefer the show in English or Japanese and compare those results. I think those would be some facisnating findings. I have a strong feeling that the language you prefer will help us detect patterns in what arcs people prefer. I would predict those who prefer the show in English would mostly lean towards the Z portion with little to no DB representation. But thats just my guess...
Actually, I might be doing a "favorite characters" one, and I might do that with that, because that could lead to some interesting results, especially for a character like Gohan and Vegeta.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:26 pm

1. 22nd Tournament
This arc has always been heartwarming to me, as I love Tenshinhan's character development.
2. Piccolo Daimao
3. Saiyans
This arc I mainly like for the filler during Gohan's training. I think this filler is some of the best character development in the series, for Gohan and Piccolo.
4. Hunt for the Dragon Balls
This one's probably just due to nostalgia. It's the arc that got me into Dragon Ball, after all.
5. Freeza
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:23 pm

This one's actually tough, since I tend to like nearly all of them, but here goes:

5) Shadow Dragons Saga*
4) Red Ribbon Army Saga
3) Great Demon-King Piccolo Saga
2) The Hunt for the Dragon Balls Saga
1) Majin Buu Saga

*If I had to include a non-GT related saga, then it would probably be the Frieza saga

Honorable mentions in no particular order: Cell Saga, 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, and Saiyan Saga.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:53 am

This is going to be difficult, while it's easy for me to see what arcs i dislike or like in super and GT, i can't do the same with db and dbz,i just love every single one. I guess, that i'll have to rewatch the entire series again.

But i can say that my favourite arc from db is the Piccolo Daimao arc and from dbz the Freeza arc.
From dbs the Black Goku arc and from GT, the Baby arc.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:59 am

My very favourites would be:

1) Saiyan arc (the transition between DB and DBZ anime was an awsome turning point and the whole arc was fantastic);
2) 21st Tenka'ichi Budoukai arc (I love tournament arcs, but mostly this one because of the Kame sennin's training mini-arc, that part always floods me with nostalgia);
3) 23rd Tenka'ichi Budoukai arc (the z-fighters showing the results of their training, the battle between Goku and Piccolo, the perfect finale for DB portion of the series);
4) Freeza arc (the chase for the dragon balls in Namek, the Ginyu force, the greatest villain in the franchise and the legendary Super Saiyan!);
5) Future Trunks arc (very dark, great soundtrack and a mysterious beginning! Too bad the conclusion got increasingly confusing, which ruined what could have been a perfect climax).

If it matters, the rest: [spoiler]6) 22nd Tenk'aichi Budoukai arc (amazing, with kid Goku kickin' ass and Tenshinhan turning into a good guy)
7) Hunt for the Dragon Balls arc (nostalgia! but with a boring main character)
8 ) RRA arc (amazing, but it dragged on too long sometimes)
9) Majin Boo arc (evil Vegeta, SSj3 and fusions? I loved it, but there were bits that made no sense)
10) Piccolo Daimao arc (the first arc with a dark tone into it but it felt like there was something missing)
11) Cell arc (favourite bits: the mysterious super saiyan slicing Freeza, the z-fighters training, Piccolo vs 17, Goku & Gohan in the RoSaT and the Cell Games; the rest: meh);
12) Battle of Gods arc (failed to live up to the movie)
13) Universe 6 tournament arc / Champa arc (the very first new arc in the Super!)
14) Revival of F arc (pointless, although I love the episodes revolving Goku and Vegeta's training with Whis - yes, there's a pattern there)
15) Baby arc (the only arc I remotly like in GT)
16) Shadow Dragons arc (it was ok, in some parts)
17) Beginning of GT (I like the idea of hunting for dragon balls around the universe but didn't like how it went, with Pan at the peak of her annoyance)
18) Super 17 arc (just terrible, the only thing I liked in it were the villains escaping from the hell and breaking loose on earth)[/spoiler]
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: Kanzenshuu members favorite arcs! Voting's over!

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:34 am

Alright now that voting is over, (Rubens, Esfír Dedragón and dbs fan, all your votes count) we're gonna look at the arc's that got no votes. After I get back from School (so 3:30, I stay after for the most part).
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:43 am

"Freeza/Namek arc for the arc that starts after Gohan, Kuririn and Goku are in the hospital and ends with Nameks explosion."

This description made me want to take a moment to appreciate how much actually occurred during the Namek arc, and just how good Goku and crew are at F'ing things up.

The arc begins with everybody in the hospital.
And ends with the destruction of an entire planet in deep space.

Just going from the beginning to the ending, with no details or explanation in between, is quite a jump.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:20 pm

The Saiyan arc - my favorite art style, good villains, the characters are all used pretty damn well, and excellent fights that don't overstay their welcome.
The Piccolo Daimao arc - a much darker tone than what preceded it, but still retains a sense of fun.
21st Tenkaichi Budokai - so much fun and those training episodes never cease to put a smile on my face.

I don't feel like listing the rest in order, but I would put the Baby arc above the Buu arc. The Buu arc has its moments but it's way too long and Buu isn't a particularly interesting villain. He's certainly not interesting enough to sustain my interest for 50+ episodes.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:41 pm

HOLY SHIT, THAT TOOK ME AN HOUR TO COUNT ALL THE VOTES! Anyway, let's take a look at the arc's that got no votes.
The BOG arc!
And The
Super 17 arc.
Honestly the fact that the BOG arc got no points, but the ROF got did, is amazing to me.
Tomorrow we look at the 5 arcs that got the lowest points.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:02 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:Honestly the fact that the BOG arc got no points, but the ROF got did, is amazing to me.
That's probably because the movie is better in every way while the RF arc did some things better than its movie.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

kinisking
I Live Here

Re: Kanzenshuu members favorite arcs! Arc's that got no points!

Post by kinisking » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:35 pm

BoG was an enjoyable arc for me. I'm surprised it didn't get votes. Super 17 really sucked even though he had a great design.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:17 pm

sintzu wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:Honestly the fact that the BOG arc got no points, but the ROF got did, is amazing to me.
That's probably because the movie is better in every way while the RF arc did some things better than its movie.
The one thing the Resurrection F retelling arc did better than the movie, was the ending. Everything else was a giant, hot, steaming pile of fecal matter compared to the movie.

FUCK. THAT. ARC.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:18 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: The one thing the Resurrection F retelling arc did better than the movie, was the ending. Everything else was a giant, hot, steaming pile of fecal matter compared to the movie.

FUCK. THAT. ARC.
Freeza was more menacing than he was in the movie and he wasn't a push over either.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:33 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
sintzu wrote:
The one thing the Resurrection F retelling arc did better than the movie, was the ending. Everything else was a giant, hot, steaming pile of fecal matter compared to the movie.

FUCK. THAT. ARC.
I'd argue that it did EVERYTHING better than the movie besides the fight choreography and animation, but even the movie's was a steaming hot pile of shit.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:54 pm

Uh, why are you discussing the ROF Arc in a thread that has almost no relation to it?

And you know I was the one who voted for it?

Right?
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:10 pm

1.Frieza Arc
2.Future Trunks Arc
3.King Piccolo Arc
4.Cell Arc
5.Boo Arc

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:25 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:The one thing the Resurrection F retelling arc did better than the movie, was the ending. Everything else was a giant, hot, steaming pile of fecal matter compared to the movie.

FUCK. THAT. ARC.
I thought the retelling did everything better than the movie barring maybe the animation. The Shenlong wish plothole was fixed, no bullshit 1.3 million line, we got an explanation why Vegeta have the god powers, Goku and Vegeta's training scenes were great, no Shisami putting up a fight against Piccolo out of nowhere, Goten and Trunks actually sensed Ki and came, we got some great Muten Roshi moment for once that is not perverted, Tagoma is miles better than the movie and actually became one of my favorite henchmen, the callback to Goku sparing Freeza when Gohan defeated Ginyu, the infamous ring scene was done better, and I find Vegeta's fight against Freeza much more satisfying.. The only thing that bummed me in the adaption is the main battle and how they ditched the 1-inch punch.

In my opinion, the Super adaption of RoF is way better than the movie. Overall the movie have better animation, but even then it wasn't really anything special and quite dull. Tate's cut in #26 blows everything in the movie out of the water.

As for my favorite arcs, I haven't watch DB and DBZ for a long time so I can't really say anything now. My favorites one as far as I can remember is the Boo, Freeza, and Saiyan, and I dislike the Cell Arc. My favorite arc for Super is easily the Future Trunks Arc, with the Battle of Gods Arc being my least favorite.