Hardcore dbz fans don't like comedy in Dragonball??

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Lujin_16
Regular
Posts: 726
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:18 pm

Hardcore dbz fans don't like comedy in Dragonball??

Post by Lujin_16 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:26 pm

I have seen some hating episode 69 calling it it was a no sense episode or a horrible episode etc I mean really??

What do you think about those fans???

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6483
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Hardcore dbz fans don't like comedy in Dragonball??

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:03 pm

They just don't like the episode.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am
I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

User avatar
fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5144
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:53 pm
Location: New York

Re: Hardcore dbz fans don't like comedy in Dragonball??

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:13 pm

Hey, I don't mind episodes like #68. It was cute and had some funny moments. Felt like a typical episode of some American cartoon.

Episode 69 comedy is more of an, idk, acquired taste (?). That over-the-top, breaking the fourth wall, hyper comedy with gag after gag is not my cup of tea. Can't say I found any of it funny--more cringey, really. I see it sometimes in some other anime too.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

User avatar
Lunatic Fringe
Regular
Posts: 556
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 6:54 pm

Re: Hardcore dbz fans don't like comedy in Dragonball??

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:15 pm

Because those are the type of fans who jumped on the Dragon Ball gravy train when Toonami was airing it every weekday after school, at a point in the series where the comedy and light-heartedness was significantly toned down from what they missed out on. So as far as they're concerned, the narrative about Dragon Ball has always been about blood and violence and genocide and muscles and screaming and death and explosions and...well, you get the idea. Stuff like Arale is the complete antithesis of that, thus creating dissonance with those who've always seen Dragon Ball as a super serious, no nonsense, edgy, "EXTREME!!!" series about power and rage.

User avatar
FlpShimizu
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:40 pm

Re: Hardcore dbz fans don't like comedy in Dragonball??

Post by FlpShimizu » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:18 pm

Super's humor is one of its most hated aspects for a lot of people. They say it lacks DBZ's serious tone, which I disagree. Still, we tend to pay more attention to someone hating than to someone liking. So, don't overthink this and join the discussion in the main thread, you'll get to see a number of different opinions.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

User avatar
Boo Machine
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 7:44 pm
Location: On the Track to NoWhere

Re: Hardcore dbz fans don't like comedy in Dragonball??

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:20 pm

It's not necessarily that they don't like the humor in Dragonball. Dragonball has always, of course, had an element of humor even in it's more serious stories.

But Dr. Slump type humor is a different beast. It's so off the wall, 4th wall breaking, cartoonishly wacky. Some may just not be into it. And episode 69 definitely felt more like an episode of Dr. slump starring Dragon Ball characters.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

precita
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5502
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: Hardcore dbz fans don't like comedy in Dragonball??

Post by precita » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:28 pm

Its because most of these people forget Dragonball started off as a comedy manga and they think the franchise is just supposed to be mindless fighting, blood, and swear words because that's all they remember from their kid years watching DBZ on TV.

User avatar
huzaifa_ahmed
Regular
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:58 pm

Re: Hardcore dbz fans don't like comedy in Dragonball??

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:31 pm

precita wrote:Its because most of these people forget Dragonball started off as a comedy manga and they think the franchise is just supposed to be mindless fighting, blood, and swear words because that's all they remember from their kid years watching DBZ on TV.
"A loosely adapted Americanized dub adaptation of DBZ". I'd have done a "fixed" thing, but that's rude. DBZ itself can & should be aired & viewed on TV.

precita
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5502
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: Hardcore dbz fans don't like comedy in Dragonball??

Post by precita » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:40 pm

What I meant was when people think of DBZ, they of course mostly remember all the fighting, Super Saiyan transformations, villains, and action scenes.

The first thing that comes to mind isn't the comedy or peacetime episodes. I also imagine most of these people never watched the original Dragonball either.

User avatar
MozillaVulpix
Regular
Posts: 667
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Hardcore dbz fans don't like comedy in Dragonball??

Post by MozillaVulpix » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:45 pm

I mean, it wasn't really a Dragon Ball episode. It was a Dr. Slump episode. No wonder people would find that jarring. It was an even bigger sudden genre shift than the ending to Episode 66.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

User avatar
Ajay
Moderator
Posts: 6135
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: Hardcore dbz fans don't like comedy in Dragonball??

Post by Ajay » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:53 pm

MozillaVulpix wrote:I mean, it wasn't really a Dragon Ball episode. It was a Dr. Slump episode. No wonder people would find that jarring. It was an even bigger sudden genre shift than the ending to Episode 66.
I agree. I don't think it has much to do with fans loving the action side of Dragon Ball only, or hating comedy in the series. The humour in the episode is a very different brand that might not land well with those not used to Toriyama's non-Dragon Ball work. That's a shame, but at least I understand it.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:12 pm
Location: Zambia, Southern Africa

Re: Hardcore dbz fans don't like comedy in Dragonball??

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:11 pm

Boo Machine wrote:It's not necessarily that they don't like the humor in Dragonball. Dragonball has always, of course, had an element of humor even in it's more serious stories.

But Dr. Slump type humor is a different beast. It's so off the wall, 4th wall breaking, cartoonishly wacky. Some may just not be into it. And episode 69 definitely felt more like an episode of Dr. slump starring Dragon Ball characters.
Precisely. The episode was nice and fun, but it was so much more Dr Slump (pure gag comedy) than DBZ (action comedy).
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 21005
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: Hardcore dbz fans don't like comedy in Dragonball??

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:00 pm

Ajay wrote:
MozillaVulpix wrote:I mean, it wasn't really a Dragon Ball episode. It was a Dr. Slump episode. No wonder people would find that jarring. It was an even bigger sudden genre shift than the ending to Episode 66.
I agree. I don't think it has much to do with fans loving the action side of Dragon Ball only, or hating comedy in the series. The humour in the episode is a very different brand that might not land well with those not used to Toriyama's non-Dragon Ball work. That's a shame, but at least I understand it.
Yeah, this one of those episodes where you have to be much more familiar with the humour and style of Dr Slump if you're going to get any kind of enjoyment out of it.

User avatar
ssjjanemba
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Hardcore dbz fans don't like comedy in Dragonball??

Post by ssjjanemba » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:16 pm

Didn't dragonball start out as a comedy manga?
Hi

User avatar
kinisking
I Live Here
Posts: 4987
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:21 pm
Location: United States.

Re: Hardcore dbz fans don't like comedy in Dragonball??

Post by kinisking » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:19 pm

This elitism in the community needs to stop. There are plenty of people in the community that have watched/read all of dragonball and just don't find dragonballs humor that funny.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2710
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: AAAAAAA

Re: Hardcore dbz fans don't like comedy in Dragonball??

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:28 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:They just don't like the episode.
Most likely. I really hate whenever a episode comes out and people don't like it, it's never because they disliked the episode, it's because their dickheads who hate everything Super does. People will like and dislike something for a whole bunch of reason, stop with the generalizations.
kinisking wrote:This elitism in the community needs to stop. There are plenty of people in the community that have watched/read all of dragonball and just don't find dragonballs humor that funny.

I wouldn't call that elitism.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

they/them pronouns

precita
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5502
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: Hardcore dbz fans don't like comedy in Dragonball??

Post by precita » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:30 pm

kinisking wrote:This elitism in the community needs to stop. There are plenty of people in the community that have watched/read all of dragonball and just don't find dragonballs humor that funny.
The Dragonball franchise was always just as based on humor as it is action.

User avatar
kinisking
I Live Here
Posts: 4987
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:21 pm
Location: United States.

Re: Hardcore dbz fans don't like comedy in Dragonball??

Post by kinisking » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:31 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:They just don't like the episode.
Most likely. I really hate whenever a episode comes out and people don't like it, it's never because they disliked the episode, it's because their dickheads who hate everything Super does. People will like and dislike something for a whole bunch of reason, stop with the generalizations.
kinisking wrote:This elitism in the community needs to stop. There are plenty of people in the community that have watched/read all of dragonball and just don't find dragonballs humor that funny.

I wouldn't call that elitism.
You really don't think they'res any elitism going on in this thread?
precita wrote: The Dragonball franchise was always just as based on humor as it is action.
Does that mean that people had to like this episode? Maybe they just didn't like the humor in this particular episode?
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2710
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: AAAAAAA

Re: Hardcore dbz fans don't like comedy in Dragonball??

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:33 pm

kinisking wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:They just don't like the episode.
Most likely. I really hate whenever a episode comes out and people don't like it, it's never because they disliked the episode, it's because their dickheads who hate everything Super does. People will like and dislike something for a whole bunch of reason, stop with the generalizations.
kinisking wrote:This elitism in the community needs to stop. There are plenty of people in the community that have watched/read all of dragonball and just don't find dragonballs humor that funny.

I wouldn't call that elitism.
You really don't think they'res any elitism going on in this thread?
"e·lit·ism
əˈlēdˌizəm/
noun
noun: elitism
the advocacy or existence of an elite as a dominating element in a system or society.
the attitude or behavior of a person or group who regard themselves as belonging to an elite."
What's going on here isn't elitism.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

they/them pronouns

User avatar
kinisking
I Live Here
Posts: 4987
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:21 pm
Location: United States.

Re: Hardcore dbz fans don't like comedy in Dragonball??

Post by kinisking » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:38 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
kinisking wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote: Most likely. I really hate whenever a episode comes out and people don't like it, it's never because they disliked the episode, it's because their dickheads who hate everything Super does. People will like and dislike something for a whole bunch of reason, stop with the generalizations.

I wouldn't call that elitism.
You really don't think they'res any elitism going on in this thread?
"e·lit·ism
əˈlēdˌizəm/
noun
noun: elitism
the advocacy or existence of an elite as a dominating element in a system or society.
the attitude or behavior of a person or group who regard themselves as belonging to an elite."
What's going on here isn't elitism.
I feel like the people who appreciate dragonball's humour more or have read all of dragonball tend to consider themselves as superior to the ones who have only watched DBZ or aren't interested in dragonball's humour. They'res definitely a divide between people who consider themselves "true" dragonball fans and what they call deebeezee fans. I've seen it elsewhere, I've seen it on Kanzenshuu and I've seen hints of it in this thread.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Post Reply