Darkest character in DragonBall and why?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

keyz05
Beyond Newbie

Darkest character in DragonBall and why?

Post by keyz05 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:03 am

To me, it's Future Trunks. My god, when his future got destroyed, it actually gave me a feels trip.

Which is your darkest character and why?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: Darkest character in DragonBall and why?

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:07 am

Would you elaborate on what you mean by "dark"?
Retired.

keyz05
Beyond Newbie

Post by keyz05 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:10 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Would you elaborate on what you mean by "dark"?
"dark", as in, "(of a period of time or situation) characterized by tragedy, unhappiness, or unpleasantness." - Google Translate.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:13 am

I should preface this by noting that I haven't watched Super yet, so maybe there's a darker character that I don't know about yet.

For me, it's Vegeta, hands-down. If you think about it, the guy really had a pretty screwed up life from the get-go, and the transition from a saiyan's lifestyle to a human's lifestyle was obviously very tough for him. He grew up in a culture that didn't value compassion and thought only of battle--a culture that was wiped out at a pretty early age, mind you--and the person who served as his pseudo-father figure, Freeza, was a genocidal egomaniac. Between being the prince of saiyans and yearning to defeat Freeza, he seemed to have conditioned himself to view life only in terms of benchmarks of strength...hence his rage whenever Goku proved stronger than him. It wasn't just that he was losing to a low-class saiyan, it was that he felt becoming the strongest fighter in the universe was what gave him purpose in life. That's why he broke down when he couldn't beat Freeza, I think...once he realized he couldn't beat Freeza, it was as though he had been directly told that his whole life had been for nothing.

It's like, for a while, he didn't know what reason he had to live other than becoming stronger. So, Goku saved him in a way. He gave him a new benchmark to strive for after Freeza was killed. When Goku left after the Cell arc, there were no benchmarks for Vegeta to pass anymore, and I think he suffered repressed feelings of worthlessness as a result. He tried to learn to live like a human, but it went against all he had been raised to believe, as well as his own genetic propensity for violence. I would argue that he never completely made the adjustment to a human lifestyle...he made enough of an adjustment to find happiness, and I'm glad he did, but I doubt Vegeta will ever be so anti-violence that he'd turn down a fight. So he's really kind of a tortured soul in many respects, and that's pretty damn dark.
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:15 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I should preface this by noting that I haven't watched Super yet, so maybe there's a darker character that I don't know about yet.
Not in any sense of the word, no.
Retired.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:37 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I doubt Vegeta will ever be so anti-violence that he'd turn down a fight. So he's really kind of a tortured soul in many respects, and that's pretty damn dark.
Eh...I think he probably would, if his opponent was very clearly beneath him. He was relatively gentle with Cabba, for example.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:51 am

Fionordequester wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:I doubt Vegeta will ever be so anti-violence that he'd turn down a fight. So he's really kind of a tortured soul in many respects, and that's pretty damn dark.
Eh...I think he probably would, if his opponent was very clearly beneath him. He was relatively gentle with Cabba, for example.
I'm gonna take a wild guess and assume Cabba is a Super character? Well, I haven't seen it, so I can't comment on it, but Vegeta has demonstrated "you're beneath me"-style mercy before, like when he refused to kill Ginyu after he became a frog. Then again, I always thought it was out-of-character that he wouldn't kill Ginyu, even if Ginyu had been reduced to a frog. If anything, I thought Vegeta would have taken greater pleasure in it since his main drive in life at that point was to be the strongest fighter in the universe, in effect making sure everybody was beneath him.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:30 am

Although the writing doesn't treat him this way, Yamcha has potential to be an extremely screwed up character. All the physical torture and feelings of worthlessness he experienced, to the point where he just gave up and stopped pursuing his dreams. That's sad.

ssjjanemba
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjjanemba » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:38 am

nickzambuto wrote:Although the writing doesn't treat him this way, Yamcha has potential to be an extremely screwed up character. All the physical torture and feelings of worthlessness he experienced, to the point where he just gave up and stopped pursuing his dreams. That's sad.
He had dreams? lol.
Hi

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:00 am

ssjjanemba wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:Although the writing doesn't treat him this way, Yamcha has potential to be an extremely screwed up character. All the physical torture and feelings of worthlessness he experienced, to the point where he just gave up and stopped pursuing his dreams. That's sad.
He had dreams? lol.
Yes , his dream was to win the Tenkaichi Budokai & to get married
My English is poor .

ssjjanemba
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjjanemba » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:32 am

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:
ssjjanemba wrote:
He had dreams? lol.
Yes , his dream was to win the Tenkaichi Budokai & to get married
Damn, poor guy. Well its not too late for him to get married.
Hi

Souheil21

Post by Souheil21 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:44 am

For me, its future trunks. The guy grew up in a world screwed by androids with only Gohan as his mentor, and then saw him dead at 13, then once that was over, his world was attacked by Goku black, and everyone except him and mai died and weren't even brought back to life(Technically they were as alternate versions).

Souheil21

Post by Souheil21 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:45 am

For me, its future trunks. The guy grew up in a world screwed by androids with only Gohan as his mentor, and then saw him dead at 13, then once that was over, his world was attacked by Goku black, and everyone except him and mai died and weren't even brought back to life(Technically they were as alternate versions).

keyz05
Beyond Newbie

Post by keyz05 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:51 pm

Doesn't anyone else have anything to say?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:17 pm

Souheil21 wrote:For me, its future trunks. The guy grew up in a world screwed by androids with only Gohan as his mentor, and then saw him dead at 13, then once that was over, his world was attacked by Goku black, and everyone except him and mai died and weren't even brought back to life(Technically they were as alternate versions).
That's a solid argument and he has every right to be sad, but he never seems depressed and unhappy. I'm speaking overall. Vegeta is a fundamentally unhappy and unpleasant character regardless of circumstance.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Souheil21

Post by Souheil21 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:19 pm

ABED wrote:
Souheil21 wrote:For me, its future trunks. The guy grew up in a world screwed by androids with only Gohan as his mentor, and then saw him dead at 13, then once that was over, his world was attacked by Goku black, and everyone except him and mai died and weren't even brought back to life(Technically they were as alternate versions).
That's a solid argument and he has every right to be sad, but he never seems depressed and unhappy. I'm speaking overall. Vegeta is a fundamentally unhappy and unpleasant character regardless of circumstance.
true, trunks dosent seem to be sad but the way he is being treated in super is really Dark, he lost everything.As for vegetal its just in his character.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:29 pm

ABED wrote:
I lost count of how many times Trunks cried in Super. He definitely seems depressrd and unhappy all the time.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:49 pm

Definitely Vegeta. Unloving/harsh upbringings, has a perpetual scowl, and has an asshole deposition.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:32 pm

its just in his character.
Which makes him a fundamentally darker character as opposed to a character going through dark times.

And when I say depressed, I'm talking more clinical depression or something like that rather than just being sad.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:14 pm

For me it has to be future Chi-Chi, seeing her in the Trunks TV special has to be one of the saddest moments in the series. It's so weird to think of how she was at the beginning of the series all happy and in love with Goku then seeing her all alone after Goku dies and then later on Gohan dies as well just to make it even sadder. Trunks' future timeline as a whole is sort of like a storage room for all the darkest parts of the series.