Theory about the Timelines

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Terra-jin
Regular

Theory about the Timelines

Post by Terra-jin » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:17 pm

Hello again,

The timelines of DBZ are quite an intricate topic. I've been interested in it for a long time and I've finally come up with a satisfying theory. The most interesting thing about this theory is that the existence of a second "main" timeline is confirmed. This is going to be a long read.

The events concerning Cell and Trunks require various timelines to explain. The first confusing fact is that Cell appeared to have stolen the time-machine from Trunks. However, in the episode 'Free the Future', Trunks defeats Cell easily. The two events are different, so there must be a third timeline, in which Trunks dies at the hands of Cell. In DBZ, it is also stated that Cell hijacked Trunks' time-machine because the Androids had been defeated by Trunks somehow. But Trunks returns to the future and not only kills the Androids, but Cell, too. This means that the Trunks from Cell's timeline had traveled to and returned from an entirely different past. In this past, Trunks never learns of Cell, nor does he develop the powers needed to bring Cell down. Instead, he finds some means to defeat the Androids in his own time. This makes it a very different timeline.
In this hidden timeline, all Z-warriors are likely to have survived, which in turn allows for a whole different Majin Buu saga. Furthermore, the Cell from this timeline was never found, so he will appear after the Majin Buu saga, perhaps with even more genetic material than the Cell we know (Majin Buu and Dabura, perhaps even Broly). Many of the TOEI movies could have happened in this timeline, because the events are very different.

To prove the above theory, there are several rules of DBZ-style timetravel, judging by the facts presented in the manga.
First of all, multiple timelines can coexist, but can't normally interact. The various timelines are best viewed as planes in a four-dimensional space (or just call them different dimensions). Changing the past means creating a new timeline while your future remains unchanged. Trunks explains this during the Cell saga.
Secondly, the time-machine has the uncanny ability to return to its original future. This means that continued interaction between the past and future is possible, as long as the time-machine is operational. The original future is preserved, if you will.
Thirdly, the time-machine always travels to the newest-created timeline. This is evidenced by the fact that Trunks' second trip is to the already changed future, even though the future where he came from was still the same.
Fourthly, when someone travels to a destrination that precedes a previous trip, he will create yet another timeline. This is what Cell did by arriving one year earlier than Trunks. Since this act altered the history of this Trunks, the future to which he would return was also changed - i.e. another future timeline was created.

We begin with the normal future timeline, the Dark Future. When Trunks travels to the past, he creates a new timeline according to rule #1. This is the 'Dark Past'. When Cell preceded Trunks' trips, he created the main timeline. Finally, when the Trunks from the main timeline returns to his future, he creates the final future, in which Cell and the Androids are killed.

I'd like to hear what you think about all this. I hope I haven't driven anyone insane with this :)

Greetings, Terra-jin.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:21 pm

Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:37 pm

That threads gettin' pretty messy. So let's start a fresh one, eh?

I've sent this chart to Desire already, but since modified it (there's a new timeline, and Cell's arrival is one year before Trunks'):

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/2065 ... opy3sy.jpg

I wrote:Following this timeline is simple: it goes from A-B, C-D, E-F, G-H, I-J, A2-B2, C2-D2 etc... Follow it in that order, and all will make sense. This theory goes by the assumption that every time you take a trip to the past, the timeline you were aiming for splits (this is shown by the fact that the original timeline remains the same, even after Trunks uses the machine).

For Trunks to return to the past (E-F/E2-F2) 3 years after his original departure (C/C2) when only 8 months in TL1 has passed, we will have to assume that as soon as he leaves the timeline he was just in, it continues while he's travelling in the time machine (Trunks goes 20 years into the future without waiting in his timemachine (travelling between TL1 and TL2), while in TL2 twenty years passes whilst he's sitting in it). That means TL1 and TL2 are connected in some way (Trunks has already made a path). This explains why the timeline splits when Trunks goes from E-F/E2-F2, as he has altered that timeline's HISTORY (the events have already happened while he was travelling in between TL1 and TL2). It's helpful to think of each timeline as a different dimension, and how Trunks uses his timemachine to skip time. I think it would be more accurate to describe Trunks' timemachine as a dimensional navigator AND timemachine. While Trunks is going into TL1's future from TL2, he's in between TL1 and TL2, skipping 20 years. Twenty years then passes in TL2.

After Cell kills Trunks in TL1, he goes back further than Trunks (at B). This timeline is in no way associated with TL2 or TL3, because it starts in a different dimension with TL1 as its past. TL4 is the timeline that we see in "The History Of Trunks", started by Cell's timejump (I-J).
I find it so hard to accept Xyex's theory... how can Cell's trip not split the timeline?

I'm done.
Last edited by Steven Perry on Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:40 pm

It is messy, but we should rally continue that thread instead of starting new ones.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:10 pm

The other thread is still "new"; please use it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::