Does anyone kinda miss the Pre-Minus (or Pre-BoG) era?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Does anyone kinda miss the Pre-Minus (or Pre-BoG) era?

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:42 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Well, we will have to agree to disagree on GT. Because while there are some things in that show I like and there are far too many things I don't like. And who's to say that a live action Dragon Ball movie can't work? With the right creative and visionary direction, a relativity faithful script and a good special effects and hair/make up crew behind the project, a Dragon Ball live action movie could be great. All of the pieces would have the fall together properly, but it's possible.

Dare to dream, man. :P
I'll believe anime live action movies can work when I see a good one, there's got to be some precedent for daring to dream. My hope is that Ghost in the Shell IS the movie that makes me a believer.
Do yourself a favour and watch the live action Rurouni Kenshin films. They are phenomenal. The fight choreography and overall action direction is just insanely good. And definitive proof the the transition from anime to live action can work. It just needs the right people behind it.

precita
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by precita » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:53 pm

Most live action is inferior to animation, simply because real life humans simply cannot move their bodies around the way anime characters do, especially in a fighting series.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:57 pm

I'm a bit conflicted.

Admittedly, I do kind of miss the Pre-BoG era. As TheGreatness25 put it, "I liked that the series had a nice little bow on it." Although we did have the Funimation dub going on in America after GT ended in Japan, and had the 2002 revival in Japan with the video games (and the subsequent Dragon Boxes a couple years later), everything felt nice and complete. Yeah, sure, we had new stuff in the video games like the fusions in the Budokai series, but it was something fun outside of the manga and anime. Heck, even the 2008 special felt okay because it didn't intrude on the original series that much. It was basically a gaiden. Perhaps I'm wearing rose-tinted glasses here or just being nostalgic, but I feel like there's something about Super and the new movies that's missing when compared from the manga and original three anime. Simply put, I just don't have that same level of enjoyment from Super that I do from watching Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z. It just doesn't feel the same to me.

Now, don't get me wrong. I do think it's cool to see Dragon Ball revived like it is. It's introducing a whole new generation of fans to the series, which I think is great. I did enjoy going to the theater to see Battle of Gods and seeing Resurrection F on Blu-ray. Seeing Nozawa at the American premiere of that movie was awesome, as well as seeing the more prominent members of this forum interviewing the people who worked on that film. Then there was the announcement of Super; seeing DB fans react to the announcement was priceless. The fans who were too young to watch Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT during their runs could now watch a Dragon Ball series as it comes out. I'm one of those fans, so I was understandably hyped as well to see Super come out.

And for the most part, I have enjoyed Super. The Future Trunks arc was spectacular, the Champa arc was really good, and the laid back episodes have been fun to watch. I thought the movie arcs were a bit unnecessary, but they were still alright. Despite all that, my enjoyment of Super hasn't come close to how I much I enjoyed Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z as a kid. I suppose you view things different as a kid then as compared to how you view things as an adult; I think that has to do somewhat with it.

tl;dr: I do miss the pre-BoG era, but I have no problem with Super and all the other new DB content existing.

precita
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by precita » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:27 pm

I guess the proof is that Dragonball isn't a franchise meant to go on forever. It should have an ending story-wise.

The merch like the toys/videogames can go on forever of course, but the main story or show should end again at some point.