How do you feel that FUNi changed Puar's gender and animal species to a female cat?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

How do you feel that FUNi changed Puar's gender and animal species to a female cat?

Post by precita » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:31 pm

So Puar is a girl in the FUNimation dub. The high pitched feminine voice, and Yamcha and the others referred to Puar as "she" and "her" in some episodes.

Likewise Puar is a cat in the Funi dub. Everyone remembers Yamcha's infamous, "Cat loves food! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!" in the first episode of Mecha Freeza. How does this make you feel?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: How do you feel that FUNi changed Puar's gender and animal species to a female cat?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:54 pm

Truthfully, I never cared at all. Pu'erh looks like a cat and I don't care if it's a boot cat or girl cat. I feel that none of that makes any difference to the character.

I guess it's pretty easily rectified since it's very rare for Yamucha to assign a pronoun to Pu'erh.

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: How do you feel that FUNi changed Puar's gender and animal species to a female cat?

Post by thomas1up » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:10 pm

It doesn't bother me whatsoever because even in early Dragon Ball, Pu'erh is a fairly insignificant character, making even less appearances in Z. I think most people assume that Pu'erh is a female anyway due to the voice, and that they're a cat considering they look like one
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:28 pm

Look, its Toriyama's doing by making it vague on what species and gender Puar is, though he did intended Puar to be male in the manga (not sure if it explicitly stated as such though). It didn't help with the female voice actresses.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:42 pm

This is the 1st time I even thought about Puar's gender, I always just looked at him/her as a cat and nothing more.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:54 pm

Don't matter to me at all. Never cared for the character to the extent where a change VA for a respective gender would provoke any kind of reaction from me.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:51 pm

In Latin America he was male and was voiced by a male (Yamcha's voice actor Jesus Barrero RIP),sure he was replaced by females eventually but it still stands.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:05 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:Look, its Toriyama's doing by making it vague on what species and gender Puar is, though he did intended Puar to be male in the manga (not sure if it explicitly stated as such though). It didn't help with the female voice actresses.
This. If Toriyama or the scripts had made all this info clear, it'd be another matter, but in the absence of that, I can totally see how FUNimation got the impression that Puar was a female cat.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:09 am

I honestly don't care since Puar does very little in the series, aside from cutting Goku's tail.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:31 am

Actually the Funimation dub for the most part doesn't mention Puar's gender. True they used female pronouns during the old 95 DB dub, aside from that, they didn't. Though his profile on one of the old Funi DB dvds uses male pronouns, that's about it.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:04 am

Super Sonic wrote:Actually the Funimation dub for the most part doesn't mention Puar's gender. True they used female pronouns during the old 95 DB dub, aside from that, they didn't. Though his profile on one of the old Funi DB dvds uses male pronouns, that's about it.
Pretty sure there's a few old DBZ dub episodes and even during the Dragonball dub that Puar was referred to as "she" or "her."

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Thouser » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:34 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
ShadowBardock89 wrote:Look, its Toriyama's doing by making it vague on what species and gender Puar is, though he did intended Puar to be male in the manga (not sure if it explicitly stated as such though). It didn't help with the female voice actresses.
This. If Toriyama or the scripts had made all this info clear, it'd be another matter, but in the absence of that, I can totally see how FUNimation got the impression that Puar was a female cat.
Pu'er uses the male pronoun "boku" to refer to himself. Just going off of that, the assumption would be that he's male.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/tidbits/personal-pronouns/
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:30 am

You're telling me Puar isn't a cat?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:26 am

Thouser wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Pu'er uses the male pronoun "boku" to refer to himself. Just going off of that, the assumption would be that he's male.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/tidbits/personal-pronouns/
Considering that the script translations FUNimation was getting at the time were nothing short of horrible (see my sig for an example), I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they didn't get that note.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:26 pm

You're telling me Puar isn't a cat?
Pretty much my exact thoughts here. Who cares about Puar's gender -- since when was Puar not a cat? I don't think I've ever seen anyone (whether dub or Japanese-version-only fan) refer to Puar as being any species other than a cat. Maybe some kind of weird magical cat, sure, but still a cat. I mean... it's like how Oolong is a pig, or how the king of Earth is a dog. You don't need to come out and say "Oolong's species is pig" or "hey look, the king's a dog" because anyone with eyes can see that they look like humanoid versions of a regular pig/dog.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:17 pm

I don't mind the gender change personally but I feel like it annoys some people because there's no agreement on Puar's gender. Even though Akira Toriyama said Puar was a guy people still interpret Puar as female. Also, what is Puar even supposed to be?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

MaxZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MaxZ » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:11 am

is Puar not a cat?

what is he then?

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:49 pm

floofychan333 wrote:Also, what is Puar even supposed to be?
MaxZ wrote:is Puar not a cat?

what is he then?
Pu'er is supposed to an animal-type human who's half-cat and half-rabbit.