Why did Funimation initially use a replacement score for GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Why did Funimation initially use a replacement score for GT?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:35 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Please don't imply that Batman: The Animated Series had bad acting and dialogue. It's probably the best action cartoon of the 90's. And if even if most 80's cartoons didn't have Shakespearean dialogue, most of the acting and voices were solid.
I didn't. I said most of them since I do feel most kids shows from 15-40 years ago have not aged well. I feel like most anime dubs made for kids around that time period haven't aged that well neither.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:38 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Please don't imply that Batman: The Animated Series had bad acting and dialogue. It's probably the best action cartoon of the 90's. And if even if most 80's cartoons didn't have Shakespearean dialogue, most of the acting and voices were solid.
I didn't. I said most of them since I do feel most kids shows from 15-40 years ago have not aged well. I feel like most anime dubs made for kids around that time period haven't aged that well neither.
There are some good anime dubs for their time like Ranma 1/2, Nightstalkers OVA, Ronin Warriors, Maison Ikkoku and the stuff from Animaze, but that's just my opinion.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:56 pm

Well, it was a DB series, and the north-american fanbase was already used to the changed soundtrack I guess.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:30 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Please don't imply that Batman: The Animated Series had bad acting and dialogue. It's probably the best action cartoon of the 90's. And if even if most 80's cartoons didn't have Shakespearean dialogue, most of the acting and voices were solid.
At the risk of going off-topic, I personally think a lot of the dialogue in B:TAS was kind of dumb (especially from Harley Quinn), and people like Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill were actually kind of wooden in the early episodes.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:55 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I assume you're familiar with the staunch Faulconer-only section of the fan-base, they were there back then, and they were the mainstream audience. If they wanted GT to succeed, a replacement score couldn't hurt, or so they thought.
Funnily enough, back then, the JPN fans ruled the internet. But as more of dub fans grew up/got internet (I've only had full time internet since 2010), and as the older fans didn't care anymore/lost interest, Dub fans became the majority.
I still find it odd that Dragon Ball is the only series like that. Other anime like One Piece, Sailor Moon and Digimon had their old dubs still be dislike by today's anime fans. While DBZ is the only one that people are okay with being different from the Japanese version. I've been on DB fan sites since 2001 and it still amazes me how the online fandom has changed in the last 15 years.
Those two still have many fans, you cant go on a video for Sailor Moon and not find a DiC fan. Heck one video (Usagi's Viz Cosmic Moon Power Make Up) had CLOVERWAY FANS. The same dub that had the terribad Linda Ballentyne as Usagi. I love Linda but I DO NOT MISS HER PERFOMANCE.

There are even Digimon Dub fans, and they even defend the terrible music. To be fair to them the actors were terrific, and many of them returned for Digimon Adventure Tri which is uncut and uncensored with the original music.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:44 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Please don't imply that Batman: The Animated Series had bad acting and dialogue. It's probably the best action cartoon of the 90's. And if even if most 80's cartoons didn't have Shakespearean dialogue, most of the acting and voices were solid.
At the risk of going off-topic, I personally think a lot of the dialogue in B:TAS was kind of dumb (especially from Harley Quinn), and people like Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill were actually kind of wooden in the early episodes.
Well, you do have a point there.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:46 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Well, you do have a point there. Current Conroy is very wooden, so wooden that I think he should be replaced with another actor like Steve Blum, Crispin Freeman or Roger Craig Smith. I don't know if it's him getting tired of the role or a bad director.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:50 pm

I'm actually someone who does enjoy the Digimon Adventure/Adventure 02 dub despite its many flaws, but it's largely due to the voice actors giving great performances, and for the original story still seeping through.

But you'll notice how I phrased that, despite the many issues. Old bad dubs have fans, hell given it's how I came into the fandom I'm still quite attached to the Ocean dub of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z.

Finding people who can look past flaws in old censored or botched dubs is not uncommon, what IS uncommon in the Dragon Ball community is this weird worship OF the flaws of the DBZ season 3 onwards dub as ran on Toonami from 99'-03'. I don't actually care if someone likes the Falconer score, but it does baffle me to no end that people seem to genuinely enjoy some of the worst parts of a dub that ran rip shod over the originals material. THAT is what makes the fandom different then the other cases mentioned.

I want to be very clear here that if you are one of the people that like those things that's 100% okay, but I'm not going to pretend it isn't odd.
-Laserkid