Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies Budokai ROUND 4

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2742
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: minnesota

Re: Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies/Specials Budokai

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:50 pm

Wow, RoF is getting a lot more votes then I thought it would get :lol:
Anime Kitten wrote:Well, I haven't actually seen the DB movies, but I'll provide my reasoning anyway.
Then why are you voting then ?

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5926
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies/Specials Budokai

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:59 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:Wow, RoF is getting a lot more votes then I thought it would get :lol:
I know I shouldn't take this very seriously. It's all in good fun. But, geez, RoF *can't* get past the first round. It's just... soooo... terrible!

*Sigh* This is gonna end up like TeamFourStar's movie countdown last year, isn't it? Time for me to go sit in a corner and cry.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 12/31/20!)
Current Episode: Unfrozen Caveman Broli - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Dangerous Duo! Super Warriors Can't Rest

User avatar
Bansho64
I Live Here
Posts: 2034
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:59 am

Re: Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies/Specials Budokai

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:02 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:Wow, RoF is getting a lot more votes then I thought it would get :lol:
I'm more surprised that Movie 3 is getting as much bored as it is. I always thought it was underrated a lot in this fandom.

Also, that sig..... 8)

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2742
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: minnesota

Re: Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies/Specials Budokai

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:26 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:Wow, RoF is getting a lot more votes then I thought it would get :lol:
I'm more surprised that Movie 3 is getting as much bored as it is. I always thought it was underrated a lot in this fandom.

Also, that sig..... 8)
My favorite N.W.A song.
Gaffer Tape wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:Wow, RoF is getting a lot more votes then I thought it would get :lol:
I know I shouldn't take this very seriously. It's all in good fun. But, geez, RoF *can't* get past the first round. It's just... soooo... terrible!

*Sigh* This is gonna end up like TeamFourStar's movie countdown last year, isn't it? Time for me to go sit in a corner and cry.
I would honestly be amazed if it did.

User avatar
Anime Kitten
I Live Here
Posts: 4260
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 3:53 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies/Specials Budokai

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:55 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:Then why are you voting then ?
Because I can. 8)

But seriously, I wouldn't find it a very good idea if the requirement was to see every movie in the tournament. That would mean a large group wouldn't be participating.
MyAnimeList | Naruto Forums
Discord: Nagareboshi#5185

User avatar
laserkid
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1457
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:37 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Re: Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies/Specials Budokai

Post by laserkid » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:08 pm

RoF - to echo what I saw above me, DB movie 1 is just bland.

Battle of Gods is my favorite DBZ movie period so yeah.

DBZ Movie 13, I like DB movie 3 quite a bit actually, but it's just not quite as fun as DBZ movie 13 is.
-Laserkid

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2742
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: minnesota

Re: Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies/Specials Budokai

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:18 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:Then why are you voting then ?
Because I can. 8)

But seriously, I wouldn't find it a very good idea if the requirement was to see every movie in the tournament. That would mean a large group wouldn't be participating.
Fair point. Everyone does things differently.

User avatar
Bansho64
I Live Here
Posts: 2034
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:59 am

Re: Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies/Specials Budokai

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:23 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Anime Kitten wrote: Because I can. 8)

But seriously, I wouldn't find it a very good idea if the requirement was to see every movie in the tournament. That would mean a large group wouldn't be participating.
Fair point. Everyone does things differently.
But at the same time, how can you choose one movie over the other when you haven't even seen one of them?
It doesn't make any sense.

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2742
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: minnesota

Re: Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies/Specials Budokai

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:25 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
Anime Kitten wrote: Because I can. 8)

But seriously, I wouldn't find it a very good idea if the requirement was to see every movie in the tournament. That would mean a large group wouldn't be participating.
Fair point. Everyone does things differently.
But at the same time, how can you choose one movie over the other when you haven't even seen one of them?
It doesn't make any sense.
Which is why I didn't vote.

User avatar
Anime Kitten
I Live Here
Posts: 4260
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 3:53 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies/Specials Budokai

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:46 pm

Bansho64 wrote:But at the same time, how can you choose one movie over the other when you haven't even seen one of them?
It doesn't make any sense.
I've seen Wrath of the Dragon, Battle of Gods, and Resurrection 'F', but not any of the Dragon Ball movies. That's what I meant with "DB".
MyAnimeList | Naruto Forums
Discord: Nagareboshi#5185

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5926
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies/Specials Budokai

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:01 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:I've seen Wrath of the Dragon, Battle of Gods, and Resurrection 'F', but not any of the Dragon Ball movies. That's what I meant with "DB".
No, he's asking how you can make a choice between two options when you've only experienced one option of the two. And there is a point to be made there. I mean, it's rather like judging a pie baking contest when you've only tasted one pie. It doesn't seem very fair. And I bring this up purely academically because I'm curious what other people think. Because you do have a point in that I'm sure a lot of people haven't seen every single movie. At the end of the day, it's not my competition. And since I'm fairly certain you would have picked RoF even if you had seen the first DB movie, I'm not saying it just to make sure my pick wins. But it did interest me in regards to the question of something winning by default is considered fair.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 12/31/20!)
Current Episode: Unfrozen Caveman Broli - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Dangerous Duo! Super Warriors Can't Rest

User avatar
Anime Kitten
I Live Here
Posts: 4260
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 3:53 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies/Specials Budokai

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:14 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:[spoiler]No, he's asking how you can make a choice between two options when you've only experienced one option of the two. And there is a point to be made there. I mean, it's rather like judging a pie baking contest when you've only tasted one pie. It doesn't seem very fair. And I bring this up purely academically because I'm curious what other people think. Because you do have a point in that I'm sure a lot of people haven't seen every single movie. At the end of the day, it's not my competition. And since I'm fairly certain you would have picked RoF even if you had seen the first DB movie, I'm not saying it just to make sure my pick wins. But it did interest me in regards to the question of something winning by default is considered fair.[/spoiler]
I see your point, and I agree with it to an extent. But wouldn't it be awkward to only vote in rounds that have a complete set of movies that one has actually seen? Think of it this way: I currently am not interested in watching DB or the DB movies, and thus I picked the ones that are interesting to me. Just like if I hadn't seen any of these, but decided to vote anyway, I'd have picked whichever ones seemed more interesting (bear in mind I wouldn't be voting had I not seen any movies; I'm just being hypothetical). Hopefully I'm getting my point across.
MyAnimeList | Naruto Forums
Discord: Nagareboshi#5185

User avatar
laserkid
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1457
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:37 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Re: Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies/Specials Budokai

Post by laserkid » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:18 pm

Well, to throw my two cents in, with something as simple as this where we're picking a favorite between two choices it's completely fair to say you prefer the one you've seen versus the one you haven't, because you can't judge one way or the other on the one you haven't seen.

Now if we were going to be doing qualitative analysis comparing the two and you haven't seen both THAT'S when Id say someone would be unfair to judge a particular product as superior when they haven't experienced both products.

I think a lot of people confuse the terms favorite with best. My favorite anime is a tie between Dragon Ball and One Piece. What I consider to be the BEST anime would either be Gurren Lagann or Trigun. One deals with purely what you liked and is very subjective so there can be no 'fairness'. The other is at least attempting to objectively compare items based on qualities and to determine which is a superior thing.
-Laserkid

User avatar
Draconic
I Live Here
Posts: 2028
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:44 pm
Location: Romania

Re: Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies/Specials Budokai

Post by Draconic » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:51 pm

I'd say that since this is a personal preference list, you can definitely chose whatever you've seen over something you haven't. I mean users on here who can vote know these movies exist, but they are not in any way interesting to them enough to have watched till know, so regardless of their quality, the fact that they saw one movie over the other means that he already preferred the one he saw, as it caught his interest more than the other.

Secondly, exaggerating a bit, saying you can't vote because you haven't seen both options is like saying you can't have a favorite movie at all, since you haven't seen every movie ever made. How can you chose one above anything else, when you haven't seen everything else? This is pretty much the same, albeit on a smaller scale, but even then, Dragon Ball has a huge amount of products, so being able to digest everything is very hard. Of course some things are going to be left out by some fans. Which brings me to the first point again: deciding what to skip or to watch is based on interest.

I think a problem would be when you haven't seen EITHER of the choices, as then you are just going by either popular opinion or just taking a guess, which in a compiling of opinions like this list is, it can affect the outcome. But the thread/game/list is called Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies. Not all users have seen all the movies and specials and OVA's, but they are Kanzenshuu users, so their opinion is worth of being taken into account either way. Choosing what you've seen over something you didn't doesn't go against the purpose of the thread, in my opinion.
English is not my first language !

My breakdown of the new and old transformations. Hope to update it soon with many others!

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2742
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: minnesota

Re: Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies/Specials Budokai

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:59 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:[spoiler]No, he's asking how you can make a choice between two options when you've only experienced one option of the two. And there is a point to be made there. I mean, it's rather like judging a pie baking contest when you've only tasted one pie. It doesn't seem very fair. And I bring this up purely academically because I'm curious what other people think. Because you do have a point in that I'm sure a lot of people haven't seen every single movie. At the end of the day, it's not my competition. And since I'm fairly certain you would have picked RoF even if you had seen the first DB movie, I'm not saying it just to make sure my pick wins. But it did interest me in regards to the question of something winning by default is considered fair.[/spoiler]
I see your point, and I agree with it to an extent. But wouldn't it be awkward to only vote in rounds that have a complete set of movies that one has actually seen? Think of it this way: I currently am not interested in watching DB or the DB movies, and thus I picked the ones that are interesting to me. Just like if I hadn't seen any of these, but decided to vote anyway, I'd have picked whichever ones seemed more interesting (bear in mind I wouldn't be voting had I not seen any movies; I'm just being hypothetical). Hopefully I'm getting my point across.
Why ? It's a 3rd of the series. I see no reason not to watch it.

User avatar
Anime Kitten
I Live Here
Posts: 4260
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 3:53 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies/Specials Budokai

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:02 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:Why ? It's a 3rd of the series. I see no reason not to watch it.
It doesn't cater to my tastes. It's primarily the jokes that I don't appreciate.
MyAnimeList | Naruto Forums
Discord: Nagareboshi#5185

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2742
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: minnesota

Re: Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies/Specials Budokai

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:14 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:Why ? It's a 3rd of the series. I see no reason not to watch it.
It doesn't cater to my tastes. It's primarily the jokes that I don't appreciate.
Then skip the first arc. That's the only one where it's all jokey jokes. You don't have to like the jokes to watch/enjoy the show. You're just writing of the show as one big joke, which it's not.

User avatar
Bansho64
I Live Here
Posts: 2034
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:59 am

Re: Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies/Specials Budokai

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:16 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Then skip the first arc. That's the only one where it's all jokey jokes. You don't have to like the jokes to watch/enjoy the show. You're just writing of the show as one big joke, which it's not.
I think he's talking more about the dirtiness of the jokes. Stuff like Kame-sennin's pervy antics is probably
more of what he's referring to.

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2742
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: minnesota

Re: Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies/Specials Budokai

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:21 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote: Then skip the first arc. That's the only one where it's all jokey jokes. You don't have to like the jokes to watch/enjoy the show. You're just writing of the show as one big joke, which it's not.
I think he's talking more about the dirtiness of the jokes. Stuff like Kame-sennin's pervy antics is probably
more of what he's referring to.
Why would that stop him from watching it ?
Sorry for derailing this, I'll make a new thread soon.

User avatar
Anime Kitten
I Live Here
Posts: 4260
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 3:53 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies/Specials Budokai

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:28 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote: Then skip the first arc. That's the only one where it's all jokey jokes. You don't have to like the jokes to watch/enjoy the show. You're just writing of the show as one big joke, which it's not.
I think he's talking more about the dirtiness of the jokes. Stuff like Kame-sennin's pervy antics is probably
more of what he's referring to.
Exactly. The dirty jokes aren't my cup of tea. That's why I dislike Roshi in general when he's not fighting, as more often than not, his appearance will lead into something like that.

But, yeah, apologies for staying off-topic for so long. Carry on!
MyAnimeList | Naruto Forums
Discord: Nagareboshi#5185

Post Reply