Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies Budokai ROUND 4

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MarCas92
Regular

Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies Budokai ROUND 4

Post by MarCas92 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:46 pm

The franchise's movies have always been one of the most fascinating elements of the franchise to me. So inspired by Soppa Saia People's post on Kanzenshuu's favorite arcs, I want to take a similar approach but with the movies.

Here's how I want to break it down:

There are currently :
4 Dragon Ball Movies
13 Original DBZ Movies
2 New DBZ Movies

I didn't just want to make a top 5 point system like Soppa did, it would make it too cluttered and I feel that although it does a good job representing an audiences FAVORITE it doesn't do a good job of showing what people think it's the worst. So I am going to mix it up a bit.

We are going to have a single elimination bracket with the movies facing off one on one to see which movie TRULY reigns supreme here on Kanzenshuu.

Round 1:

DB Movie 1 vs RoF
DB Movie 2 vs BoG
DB Movie 3 vs DBZ Movie 13 AKA Wrath of the Dragon

Cast your votes now! First round ends on Sunday! Earlier if I feel we have a large enough sample.

I'll Start

RoF, Bog and DB Movie 3.
Last edited by MarCas92 on Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Bansho64
I Live Here

Re: Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies/Specials Budokai

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:54 pm

DB Movie 1, DB Movie 2, and DB Movie 3. Battle of Gods wasn't far from the place that DB Movie 2 has in my heart, but it still loses to it. I hate ROF, so Movie 1's my choice for that one. DB Movie 3's my favorite film in the franchise overall, so it wasn't that hard to choose between it and Movie 13. I do like Movie 13 a lot though.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:03 pm

DB Movie 1
BoG
DB Movie 3

This was more difficult than I thought it would be to choose. I like RoF but I choose DB Movie 1 because I think it's the better story while still being entertaining. BoG was easy. It's BoG. But I was really torn between DB movie 3 and Wrath of the Dragon. I love both movies so much. But as great as Wrath is DB movie 3 is just SOOOO good to me. Such a cool way to stuff a chunk of the dragon ball story into one movie and making it work is really impressive.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:04 pm

Movie 1. ROF sucked so bad it hurt. Piece of shit movie.

BOG. A good reintroduction movie with new lovable characters.

Movie 13. Movie 3 was so painful with Haiya Dragon...and really boring. Not to mention everyone wasted so Goku could beat literally everyone up.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:10 pm

dbzfan7 wrote: Movie 13. Movie 3 was so painful with Haiya Dragon...and really boring. Not to mention everyone wasted so Goku could beat literally everyone up.
DB Movie 3 Not DBZ fam :p
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

WobbuSleuth

Post by WobbuSleuth » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:54 pm

DB Movie 1, DB movie 2, DB movie 3.

Wrath of the Dragon was pretty cool, but very good ideas and my second favorite art-style of all time from DB movie 3 are definitely my choice!
Sorry for my bad english. )=

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:04 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Movie 1. ROF sucked so bad it hurt. Piece of shit movie.

BOG. A good reintroduction movie with new lovable characters.

Movie 13. Movie 3 was so painful with Haiya Dragon...and really boring. Not to mention everyone wasted so Goku could beat literally everyone up.
Movie 3 was basically an excuse for Toei to animate Goku beating up all the heroes at the same time while Goku beats up all the villains at the same time so then Goku can fight Goku and beat Goku because in the end not even Goku can beat Goku.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:19 pm

RoF. Yeah, it's bad, but DB Movie 1 is just bland. I'd much rather take something that makes me feel anything, even disappointment, over something that leaves me 100% neutral.

BoG. Best Dragon Ball anything ever

DB Movie 3. My favorite of the three original movies with amazing art style and a beautiful alternate story.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:55 pm

Glad to see someone else do this, as I have a lot of RL shit (which is one I haven't been posting much) to deal with. Sadly, I can't really do this one, because I've seen like 3 of the movies.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:00 pm

Dragon Ball movie 2 and 3 are fantastic with great animation and a wonderful new spin on the canon story. Movie 2 brings in lore of the underworld and demons and is actually fairly dark for Dragon Ball. Movie 3 is the opposite but has such a heartwarming story with Chiaotzu and with Oopa. The film brings relevance to all the side characters and has a cool spin on the tournament. Fantastic film that has aged really well and still looks great today.

Dragon Ball Z movie 1 and Dragon Ball Z movie 2 are also my favourites in the franchise. I love them! The atmosphere is almost unlike Dragon Ball which works in its favour. DBZ movie 1 is more mythic and maintains the tone of a martial arts film much like pre-Saiyan Dragon Ball which is the last we ever see. So it is one of the only times adult Goku fights like a martial artist (movie 2 does the same, just with more ki blasts in the mix). These films are the last ones we see with higher frame animation and has colours and character designs that are more true to the manga. Movie 3 and beyond forever look different and their animation usually isn't as up to par with the older films.

DBZ Wrath of the Dragon is a great film. Honestly, it is a lot like the original films that have unique lore that expands the universe the characters live in. At the same time, it is un-Dragon Ball like that positively works for the film. It's a tie with the original DB films. :lol: Although, is the animation as solid as DB movie 3 from start to end? Perhaps...

Haven't seen DB movie 1 except some select scenes.

Still haven't seen RoF in full, but it's a bit of a Saiyan love session which is annoying. BoG had that cringey god ritual which I hated the first time I saw it and still hate it. One thing early Dragon Ball (Z) did was never cringey. Never. Although, the rest of the film was okay.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:19 pm

DB Movie 1: This is tough because I'm not fond of either of them, but ROF is so absolutely awful that I have to pick DB Movie 1.
DB Movie 2: This is even tougher because I love both of them, but since I would have been totally fine without this resurgence of Dragon Ball that BOG started, I can live without it.
DB Movie 3: I think they're both great, but what DB Movie 3 managed to accomplish was more impressive. It combined so much manga material but didn't feel at all forced. It was so creative.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:15 pm

ROF: I'm probably going to be the one of the few people in this thread who will chose this movie over DB Movie 1, but I found the movie immensely entertaining, despite its faults such as the ending
BOG: The best movie in the franchise and introduced two of the best characters Dragon Ball has seen since Freeza, as well expanding on the lore and managing to tie into the lore of the manga and anime material. Just fantastic.
DBZ Movie 13: Stunning animation, wonderful original lore and Tapion is a pretty cool character. The ending is a bit anticlimactic.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:35 pm

Well, I haven't actually seen the DB movies, but I'll provide my reasoning anyway.

ROF - Loved this movie. If you asked me, I'd tell you it's the best DBZ movie that's been produced thus far. Basic idea of reviving Freeza, but it was handled excellently. I also greatly admire all the content from this movie (characters, redesigns, forms, locations).

BOG - While I personally found the plot a bit weak, it expanded the lore and world so much, and the main fight was very climactic. Similarly to ROF, I appreciate the characters and form (namely Super Saiyan God, of course).

Movie 13 (Wrath of the Dragon) - Tapion and the extra lore are quite intriguing. Hirudegarn, while possessing a bland personality, was interesting as a threat and from a writer standpoint. Dragon Fist was unexplained, but still cool.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:41 pm

Movie 1

Battle of Gods

Movie 3

Do you have the full bracket drawn up? Obviously after this round there will be an even 16 but are you seeding them somehow or just a random draw?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:31 pm

#1 for me is BOG, it expanded the universe, developed Goku and Vegeta & introduced Beerus and Whis who are among the franchise's best characters.

#2 would be Wrath of the Dragon, it had really good art and animation, a good plot and characters & Goku's dragon fist. it was a great way to end Z's era back in the 90's.

#3 would be RF, it had the best art and animation in any movie in the franchise but that's all I can say about it cause the story and characters were improved in every way in its Super arc.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:05 am

DB Movie 1 : It was a bland movie too. But, Nishio Daisuke's storyboard and direction was at least good and engaging. On the other hand, F was just trash. Yamamuro's crappy direction and uninteresting storyboards just killed it. F is the worst Dragon Ball movie for me.

Kami to Kami : It had an interesting script and Yamadera Kou'ichi's Beers performance was spectacular and not to forget the Shida piece which is my favorite animation piece in all of Dragon Ball. I like DB Movie 2 as well so can I choose both?

DBZ Movie 13 : Not a fan of DB Movie 3. It bored me and I thought it wasn't directed that well. So, yeah in comparison DBZ Movie 13 was better.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:02 am

Rof, Bog, 13
Movies are never memorable to me...
I had to check them all for casting the vote, so I might have been biased here
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Bianju

Post by Bianju » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:48 am

DB Movie 1: Perhaps I have a bit of a bias, what with my love of the first arc, but this movie is just all kinds of entertaining for me. I like the way that the movie sort of interrupts the original story and ends up turning it into its own thing. 'Resurrection F' feels about on par with the lower end of the original Dragon Ball Z films in terms of how "nothing lost, nothing gained" it ends up feeling to me.
Battle of Gods: I love this one so much that it eclipses my love for Movie 2. Unlike my above criticism of 'Resurrection F', it feels like this movie changed everything. And that's a good thing. It combined the comedy that made me fall in love with Dragon Ball to begin with with a fight that rivals some of the best that Z (and the Z portions of the manga) had to offer. And, like I said, I love Movie 2 as well. 'invention" is the best way to describe the Dragon Ball movies; it's inventive how they chose to condense and adapt these stories into even a fifty minute time slot.
DB Movie 3: Like I said above, the Dragon Ball movies fascinate me, and this is the most interesting of the three in terms of how much it covers and how almost breathlessly they do it. While I think the whole Arale scene was unnecessary (and likely just for something to put on the poster), everything else is so well-planned and entertaining that I can forgive it. And this is especially hard because I consider Movie 13 among the best of the original 'Z' movies, but in the end it's brought down by its nonsensical twist (the sword, I mean; how did Future Trunks get it if the dragonballs disappeared and they couldn't open Tapion's box?!) and rather disappointing resolution.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:51 am

1. RoF. I don't think that Resurrection F is as bad as people say. DB Movie 1 was the worst OG DB movie, so RoF wins.

2. BoG. Battle of Gods is the best Dragon Ball movie. It introduced Beerus and Whis, who are some of the best characters in the franchise. DB Movie 2 is great, but BoG is number 1.

3. DB Movie 3. A criminally underrated film. I understand that a majority of fans have not seen this movie, but trust me when I say that it is worth your time. DBZ Movie 13 is great, but the ending ruined the entire film.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:23 am

ROF
BOG
DBZ Movie 13
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.