Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies Budokai ROUND 4

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies Budokai ROUND 2

Post by sintzu » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:12 pm

MarCas92 wrote:
Resurrection F vs Battle of Gods

DB Movie 3(Mystical Adventure) vs DB Movie 4(10th Anniversary)

DBZ Movie 12(Fusion) vs DBZ Movie 1(Garlic Jr)

DBZ Movie 11(Swamp Thing) vs DBZ Movie 2 (Giant Brain in a Jar)

BOG did everything better and Super's RF arc fixed most of its movie's problems so I'm going with BOG.

I haven't seen both of them yet but based on what I read and saw I'll give this to DB M4.

Fusion had great fights, high broduction value, a scary villain with a scary design & Gogeta so I'm giving this to M12.

A gaint brain in a jar or anything else is better than that abomination of a movie.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Kanzenshuu User's Favorite Movies Budokai ROUND 2~

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:20 pm

Eh... I'm disappointed that RoF actually made it to the second round... but putting it up against BoG? I can live with that because now it has no chance! It can die the disgraceful death it deserves. Mua ha ha ha ha ha! So here are my picks:

Battle of Gods: Definitely a fantastic movie, if not one of the best the franchise has ever produced.

Mystical Great Adventure: For sure. As ambitious as movie 4 was, it's never managed to hold my interest. Mystical Great Adventure is perhaps the only example of a condensed Dragon Ball retelling that does so effectively. But I know a lot of people love Movie 4 for some reason, so I hope Movie 3 doesn't get bumped off. It's too strong to go down this quickly.

Dragon Ball Z ("Return My Gohan!"): This is a tough one, but I just dig those earlier movies. Movie 12 is great too, but I just have a soft spot for Movie 1, so it's my pick.

The World's Strongest Guy: A tougher one for me than most people would expect. Movie 11 is probably going to lose unanimously, especially up against this one, but I actually like it quite a bit. It doesn't deserve the bad rep it gets. But Movie 2 is just so flipping awesome I can't choose anything other than it.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:29 pm

1. BOG.
Needless to say, I loathe ROF, but I love BOG.
2.DB Movie 3.
The lights, the colors, the story, Movie 3 has it all. I think Movie 4 is ok, but I never got into it that much. I thought the third condensed and changed things in the most efficient way and it's the main story that I want a sequel to.
3. DBZ Movie 1.
This was a hard pick. I love both movies but Movie 1 has the awesome Pioneer dub, so I love it more.
4. DBZ Movie 2.
This wasn't even close to a match up. Movie 11's so boring and doesn't come even close to the heart and Broly is unamusing. Movie 2 has everything. An actual good villain, a fantastic dub with the Ocean actors, dark and sinister scenery, beautiful action scenes, and a beautiful OST.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:40 pm

I just skimmed through this thread and I have to say, I'm a little disappointed that movie 13 got knocked off so quickly. That's probably my favorite DB movie.

Anyway:

BoG: RoF was mediocre at best in my opinion. Outside of introducing the SSJB form, it felt like a waste of space. BoG actually felt unique and charming, and Beerus was actually a fun character at the time.

Movie 4: I give this one to movie 4 on the count of how ambitious it was, and the fact that it had some fantastic animation.

Movie 12: Movie 1 was fun, but it wasn't quite as inventive as movie 12, and it kind of played more like an extended episode.

Movie 2: No contest here. Movie 11 was atrocious with an unengaging plot, and a character who had officially overstayed his welcome.

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:49 pm

1. Battle of Gods: Of course, my favorite character was introduced, everything was cool. :mrgreen:
2. DB Movie 4: I never liked that much Dragon ball movies but this one being a summary with a bit of changes to the original story was good, the art, the animation and the colors :D
3. DBZ Movie 12: So much fun with Goku and Vegeta as a team. :D
4. DBZ Movie 11: Because I remember more of it than the one with the Giant Brain in a jar. Also, it has Goten and Trunks with cool SSJ colors :D
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:08 am

Battle of Gods by a landslide, hands down the best DBZ movie ever, that Resurrection F is flawed is irrelevant to this one.

DB Movie 3 - MYSTICAL ADVENTURE kicks the ever living tar out of DBZ movie 4, the worst DBZ movie ever

Ooooh this one's a hard one, I like Fusion Reborn and Dead Zone both a lot, they're both fun adventures. On the one hand Fusion Reborn does fan service right, on the other hand Dead Zone just blows me away every time, plus Mike has like 12 copies of it, and I have more than a few myself. :crazy: I really really want to vote for both, but I cannot. I've already wrote my answer twice, one for each option and I still haven't made up my mind! :oops: I love these two movies so much it isn't even funny. But I must choose, and choose I shall - if for no other reason than I adore the Ocean Dub, I'm going with DBZ Movie 1 because it was a part of my formative years as a DBZ fan.

And this one isn't hard, let's not even talk about the worst movie within the subset of the Broli trilogy, which I despise with burning passion, lets talk about the AMAZING movie that is DBZ Movie 2, among the first DBZ movies I ever saw, and it's just plain out fun!
-Laserkid

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:11 am

laserkid wrote:Let's not even talk about the worst movie within the subset of the Broli trilogy, which I despise with burning passion.
I don't even consider that a movie, to me it was just a long filler episode that gave them time to make M12 & M13.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:14 am

laserkid wrote: DB Movie 3 - MYSTICAL ADVENTURE kicks the ever living tar out of DBZ movie 4, the worst DBZ movie ever
The first one is the fourth DB movie (otherwise known as Path to Power) versus Mystical Adventure

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:30 am

My vote for round 2:

1. Battle of Gods
2. 10th anniversary DBMovie
3. DBZ Movie 12
4. DBZ Movie 2
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:33 am

Bansho64 wrote:
laserkid wrote: DB Movie 3 - MYSTICAL ADVENTURE kicks the ever living tar out of DBZ movie 4, the worst DBZ movie ever
The first one is the fourth DB movie (otherwise known as Path to Power) versus Mystical Adventure
Thank you for the correction, I did miss that, however it does not change my vote, Path to Power is the most boring slog of a dragon ball movie ever, even worse than Lord Slug >.>
-Laserkid

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:34 am

My picks.
Battle of Gods - kicks RoF's ass so hard. It's hard to be BoG though.

DB Movie 3- Ok this was harder. I love both. But DB movie 3 is just so good.

DBZ Movie 12 Back to easy. I like Garlic Jr. But Janemba and everyone fighting dead people was just too much fun.

DBZ Movie 2- Bio broly just isn't good. I liked the first part before "Broly?" shows up but everything afterwards is just not great. Worlds Strongest on the other hand is fun all the way through and has some of the best fights.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:50 am

Do you want us to pick 3 favorite movies? I really don't understand your "vs" system.
MarCas92 wrote:The franchise's movies have always been one of the most fascinating elements of the franchise to me. So inspired by Soppa Saia People's post on Kanzenshuu's favorite arcs, I want to take a similar approach but with the movies.

Here's how I want to break it down:

There are currently :
4 Dragon Ball Movies
13 Original DBZ Movies
2 New DBZ Movies

I didn't just want to make a top 5 point system like Soppa did, it would make it too cluttered and I feel that although it does a good job representing an audiences FAVORITE it doesn't do a good job of showing what people think it's the worst. So I am going to mix it up a bit.

We are going to have a single elimination bracket with the movies facing off one on one to see which movie TRULY reigns supreme here on Kanzenshuu.

Round 1:

DB Movie 1 vs RoF
DB Movie 2 vs BoG
DB Movie 3 vs DBZ Movie 13 AKA Wrath of the Dragon

Cast your votes now! First round ends on Sunday! Earlier if I feel we have a large enough sample.

I'll Start

RoF, Bog and DB Movie 3.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:02 am

sangofe wrote:Do you want us to pick 3 favorite movies? I really don't understand your "vs" system.
Every round theres 3/4 different matchups.

For example:

DB Movie 1 vs DBZ Movie 15.
DB Movie 2 vs DBZ Movie 14
DB Movie 3 vs DBZ Movie 13

Then you just pick which of those you prefer.

So, for example my votes would go to DBZ Movie 15, DBZ Movie 14 and DB Movie 3.

Then we tally up the votes and see who advances to the next round in a single elimination Bracket.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:58 am

Because I am an absolute dork, I decided to do my own brackets image to include even the movies that have lost, however the picture is massive so uh yeah just going to link it to you guys.

http://www.ultrapublications.com/hosted ... ackets.png
-Laserkid

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:03 am

laserkid wrote:Because I am an absolute dork, I decided to do my own brackets image to include even the movies that have lost, however the picture is massive so uh yeah just going to link it to you guys.

http://www.ultrapublications.com/hosted ... ackets.png
Beautiful! :cry:
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:57 am

Battle of Gods: I immensely enjoyed its narrative and characters. It was a nice complement to the original story.
Dragon Ball Movie 03: The continuity of this movie is interesting. It's a shame it never continued from here as I'd like to see its take on future arcs.
Dragon Ball Z Movie 12: This features fun environments and action. It accomplishes that while containing native Toriyama humor mixed with appropriate dramatic beats.
Dragon Ball Z Movie 02: It's far and above my favorite film. Checks off all of the elements that it should and it expertly creates a world of cumulative detail.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:39 am

MarCas92 wrote:
sangofe wrote:Do you want us to pick 3 favorite movies? I really don't understand your "vs" system.
Every round theres 3/4 different matchups.

For example:

DB Movie 1 vs DBZ Movie 15.
DB Movie 2 vs DBZ Movie 14
DB Movie 3 vs DBZ Movie 13

Then you just pick which of those you prefer.

So, for example my votes would go to DBZ Movie 15, DBZ Movie 14 and DB Movie 3.

Then we tally up the votes and see who advances to the next round in a single elimination Bracket.
Pick the movies, or pick the matchup? And how many can I pick? I find this whole thing very unclear...

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:59 am

1. BoG, of course.

2. Movie 3 is much more nostalgic and has a much more beautiful look, although Movie 4 does have the better animation. However, I just can't get into the GT style and models, even though I think they are very good. Also, Movie 4's retelling is pretty bad, while 3's is great.

3. Movie 1, because Piccolo has a big role in it, the art direction is amazing and there are some very cool fights in it, while except Janemba nothing in Movie 12 really grabs my attention. The fighting isn't all that special, Gogeta is a boring character... The movie looks great but that's kind of it.

4. Movie 2 for some of the greatest fighting choreography in the franchise.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:05 am

Kami to Kami: For reasons already given in Round 1. Also, fuck F that it won Round 1 and fuck F again cause it doesn't hold a candle to KtK.

DB Movie 4 : Even though the OST was very forgettable, I liked the direction in it. It was a Yama'uchi movie after all, so it's not surprising. Not to forget, it had an awesome piece with superb background animation by the legendary Mori Hisashi.

DBZ Movie 12 : This one is hard. Movie 1 has some of my favorite Kikuchi pieces and I like Nishio Daisuke's storyboard and even the fights were well-choreographed. But, Movie 12 too has amazing music, well-choreographed fights and effective direction by Yama'uchi Shigeyasu. I'll go with Movie 12 cause it was a little bit more entertaining.

DBZ Movie 2 : Best Nishio Daisuke movie. Best Dragon Ball movie. Nakata Kouji as Uiro was fantastic. The scene where Gokuu fights the henchmen were classy Nishio storyboarding. Movie 11 isn't bad. It has a nice Shida cut and Goten and Trunks as protagonists felt fresh, but it cannot compete against Movie 2.

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Thouser » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:33 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Movie 11 is probably going to lose unanimously, especially up against this one, but I actually like it quite a bit. It doesn't deserve the bad rep it gets. But Movie 2 is just so flipping awesome I can't choose anything other than it.
I agree. Once I finally saw Movie 11 for myself I was surprised how much I enjoyed it, since I had never heard a single good thing about it. It's not an amazing movie, but I liked that they decided to focus on Satan, 18, Goten, and Trunks, and that these characters had to use their brains instead of just use a Genki Dama (or that out-of-nowhere "Super Ki Wave" from Movie 6).

If it was Movie 11 vs. Movie 10, I'd actually pick Movie 11. Putting it up against Movie 2, it doesn't stand a chance at all.
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人