Why Toriyama thought Gohan wouldn't make a good main character

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Why Toriyama thought Gohan wouldn't make a good main character

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:52 am

mute_proxy wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:23 am I'm sure people don't care if you agree or disagree with them about something 4 years later :D
Especially when there is a more recent thread with discussions about this particular topic
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Yellowhex616

Post by Yellowhex616 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:39 am

mute_proxy wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:23 am I'm sure people don't care if you agree or disagree with them about something 4 years later :D
True, but you can't really compare Gohan's character with that of Ichigo Kurosaki from Bleach, 4 years later or not it's neither a consistent or fair comparison lol

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:57 am

Yellowhex616 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:39 am
True, but you can't really compare Gohan's character with that of Ichigo Kurosaki from Bleach, 4 years later or not it's neither a consistent or fair comparison lol
Posting on years-long dead threads is something many people on this site do not appreciate
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

McDonaldsGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by McDonaldsGuy » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:57 pm

the thing that makes Goku a good main hero is that when he is involved, you know everything is going to be alright. You need to be CREDIBLE as a hero. Gohan is not credible, Goku is.

Like Gohan says, when he saw Goku walking towards Freeza, they had hope. Hell, the entire Android/Cell saga is about how Goku is the last hope to stop a horrific future. Or when Krillin calls out for Goku against the Saiyans. Or when Goku arrives on Namek and challenges the Ginyu Force. Or when Goku fights against Piccolo Daimao the second time.

Gohan doesn't give you that feeling. Even when he fought Cell, you never thought everything was going to be alright and the good guys will win. A good hero always gives you that feeling of hope. Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, Luke Skywalker (OT only), Captain Kirk, Master Chief, etc. etc. When other in-universe characters AND the audience now think victory is possible because of that character, that makes a good hero.

Think of it like a war when Side A is getting demolished by Side B. Side A is all but defeated and even starts retreating. But then the Hero comes and now not only does Side A have hope they will win, they now fight with even more ferocity than before. That's what a Goku does. A Gohan doesn't do that. In The Mandalorian Season 2 Finale:

Or in The Dark Knight Rises when Batman lights up the bat signal which even makes those reluctant to fight and defeated stand in the front-line of battle. THAT'S what a main hero does.

Perhaps Toriyama could have developed Gohan into this, but it may have been too late. Heck, if anything, Gohan's fight with Cell damaged this credibility even more because of his reluctance to fight even with everything in the balance. Once again, it's Goku that gives Gohan that last bit of push he needs to defeat Cell. Goku has arrived - everything will be OK, even if he's dead.

Yellowhex616

Post by Yellowhex616 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:37 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:57 am
Posting on years-long dead threads is something many people on this site do not appreciate
Do you really think I care about whether or not people appreciate it? I should be able post my opinion regardless of how old the thread is. You previously said there was a thread on this very topic but when looking into it I didn't see one. The closest one I could see was "how would you rewrite the Majin Buu arc" or something along those lines.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:46 pm

I will just cut to the chase and say it: Do it a few more times and you are banned.

EDIT: If you want to say your mind just make a new thread. That's the way we do things around here.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:51 pm

Yellowhex616 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:37 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:57 am

Do you really think I care about whether or not people appreciate it? I should be able post my opinion regardless of how old the thread is. You previously said there was a thread on this very topic but when looking into it I didn't see one. The closest one I could see was "how would you rewrite the Majin Buu arc" or something along those lines.
Like Cure Dragon said above me, the admins/mods don't really want members bumping or necroposting on thread topics that are more than a year old and it goes against the forum rules. Start a new thread on this if you want, so there can be fresh discussion instead of digging up the corpse of an old one from 2016.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)