Kanzenshuu Members Favorite Series.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Re: Kanzenshuu Members Favorite Series.

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:29 am

1) Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z - Its all one series folks. The split is almost (almost) completely arbitrary. By the second half (or at least 4th quarter) of Dragon Ball, its all but entirely indistinguishable from what follows in much of Dragon Ball Z (particularly the early half of it). The evolution is completely seamless and organic. The whole thing just is what it is.

2) Dragon Ball GT - Overall meh, but gets points for being adventurous with ideas and concepts. Cool on paper, not so cool in execution, but overall isn't quite the total and complete trainwreck its reputation suggests.

3) Dragon Ball Super - The first two "expanded movie arcs" left such a rotten, rancid taste in my mouth that I've still yet to properly blow through and follow along with the latter two (now three) story arcs. Still really don't feel in any way compelled to do so; there's both better anime AND better wuxia, and just better things to focus on in general.

Folks its over: the series ended in 1995 (1997 if you want to be extra-charitable and count GT as an extended filler "epilogue" to the original Z anime), and all of this stuff is largely just half-hearted, belabored milking; of something that was already milked to death to begin with more than 20 years ago. And Toriyama's ballyhooed "involvement" is only just barely more substantial than his involvement in GT, and roughly on a par with any given filler episode of DB/Z. The party's over, and has been over since the mid-90s (with the whole FUNi dub-era being the bad morning hangover). Best to move on and let it go.

But hey, at least Beerus is fun (when his whole "food" shtick isn't being flogged to death at least), Goku Black/Zamazu has his moments (a psycho Kaioshin's a great concept), and we got some neat new dogi designs and a cool new fight or two out of it.

Error 404: Anime Not Found) Dragon Ball Kai - Why are we even counting this as a "separate" series again? Not only is this just reheated reruns of the Z half of the original anime, its basically just Toei doing their best rough impression of the Saban-era FUNimation version (only with the original cast and a non-fucked script). And I could give two shits less about the FUNi cast to be in any which way excited for their "redemption" in the face of what is essentially an exercise in pointless redundancy.

Okay Seriously, WTF?) Dragon Ball Kai: The Final Chapters - The fact that we're going so far as to divide these up into two different series (Kai and "The Final Chapters") is just beyond stupid for reasons too numerous to bother delving into.

Look: its the Saiya-jin through Boo arcs guys. Its the same exact story/characters/episodes verbatim as 1989 - 1996, only now with generic replacement music, slapdash editing (that isn't even remotely close to the "manga cut" everyone hoped it would be), and lame censorship that no one ever would've accepted if it came from an English (or any other foreign) dub. Oh, and an unlistenable new opening theme tune. Its just the Saban treatment all over again, only now from the homeland.

A real manga cut (without censorship, and with Kikuchi's score still in place) could've certainly been something. Or hey, even just a totally re-animated series from scratch (with a halfway decent animation budget) that adheres to the manga. But none of that's even remotely what any of this is, and the whole Kai endeavor shouldn't even apply in the running of "best DB series" when its just another (in a long list of) crappy "reversionings" of the same old DBZ material from the late 80s and early 90s.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:36 pm

1. Dragon Ball
2. Dragon Ball Kai
3. Dragon Ball Z
4. Dragon Ball Super
5. Dragon Ball Kai: The Final Chapters
6. Dragon Ball GT

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:50 pm

1. Dragon Ball
2. Dragon Ball Kai
3. Dragon Ball Super
4. Dragon Ball Z
5. Dragon Ball GT
6. Dragon Ball Kai: The Final Chapter
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:55 pm

1) Dragonball Z
2) Dragonball
3) Dragonball Kai
4) Dragonball Super
5) Dragonball GT
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:06 pm

1. Dragon Ball Kai
2. Dragon Ball
3. Dragon Ball Super
4. Dragon Ball Z
5. Dragon Ball Kai 2014

WobbuSleuth

Post by WobbuSleuth » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:54 pm

1) Dragon Ball.
2) Dragon Ball Z.
3) Dragon Ball GT.
1000000...) Everything else.
Sorry for my bad english. )=

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:38 pm

1.Dragon Ball
2.Dragon Ball Super
3.Dragon Ball Z Kai
4.Dragon Ball Z
5.Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final chapters
6.Dragon Ball GT
-Laserkid

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:07 pm

Dragon Ball
Yamamoto's Dragon Ball Kai
Dragon Ball GT
Sumitomo's Dragon Ball Kai

Like Kunzait_83 before me, I consider the anime adaption as 444 episodes just as I consider the original story as 520 chapters despite Viz Media claiming otherwise. I'm breaking the rules but I gained courage when someone did it before me! It's the original story "the way it was meant to be seen" and my preferred, complete experience.

Despite contrary opinion, I enjoy Yamamoto's "refreshment" of Dragon Ball. The editing isn't always at its best but when it shines, it blinds and I'm generally fond of the music, too. I have to dock points off of it for ignoring the first six arcs of the story. That's an incomplete product. By comparison, Sumitomo's take on Dragon Ball is instead a poor product. It has its merit but too many elements work against it for the few workings I enjoy from it. The score placement either works or it doesn't, the cuts are half-hearted in their intention and coherence, the story remains incomplete, and the vocal performances are weaker (that goes for the original Dragon Ball Kai, too).

While I don't agree with where Dragon Ball GT took its narrative, I can respect it for attempting to craft its own Legend.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:14 pm

Nejishiki wrote:Dragon Ball
Yamamoto's Dragon Ball Kai
Dragon Ball GT
Sumitomo's Dragon Ball Kai

Like Kunzait_83 before me, I consider the anime adaption as 444 episodes just as I consider the original story as 520 chapters despite Viz Media claiming otherwise. I'm breaking the rules but I gained courage when someone did it before me! It's the original story "the way it was meant to be seen" and my preferred, complete experience.

Despite contrary opinion, I enjoy Yamamoto's "refreshment" of Dragon Ball. The editing isn't always at its best but when it shines, it blinds and I'm generally fond of the music, too. I have to dock points off of it for ignoring the first six arcs of the story. That's an incomplete product. By comparison, Sumitomo's take on Dragon Ball is instead a poor product. It has its merit but too many elements work against it for the few workings I enjoy from it. The score placement either works or it doesn't, the cuts are half-hearted in their intention and coherence, the story remains incomplete, and the vocal performances are weaker (that goes for the original Dragon Ball Kai, too).

While I don't agree with where Dragon Ball GT took its narrative, I can respect it for attempting to craft its own Legend.
Where's Super :lol:

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:16 pm

I intentionally left it out! :P I want it to end first so that I can dwell on it for months or so before I form a complete opinion. I generally like it despite its narrative progress being too slow for my tastes but that can change as the weeks progress. You never know what the future holds.

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Thouser » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:20 pm

1. Dragon Ball / Z
2. Dragon Ball Super
3. Dragon Ball GT
4. Dragon Ball Kai / The Final Chapters
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:39 pm

Nejishiki wrote:I intentionally left it out! :P I want it to end first so that I can dwell on it for months or so before I form a complete opinion. I generally like it despite its narrative progress being too slow for my tastes but that can change as the weeks progress. You never know what the future holds.
What do you mean by narrative progress? The history's progressing quite fast - fastest of all db series... But if you're talking about something else...

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:54 pm

sangofe wrote:
Nejishiki wrote:I intentionally left it out! :P I want it to end first so that I can dwell on it for months or so before I form a complete opinion. I generally like it despite its narrative progress being too slow for my tastes but that can change as the weeks progress. You never know what the future holds.
What do you mean by narrative progress? The history's progressing quite fast - fastest of all db series... But if you're talking about something else...
If the story must be revived, I'd like for it to extend beyond the ending of Dragon Ball as Dragon Ball GT tried before. As things currently stand, it's strange how the narrative drags by progressive months instead of skipping ahead. We don't know what it means now, which is part of not completely judging it yet. If it complements what's expected to come, I'll be satisfied. Otherwise, I'll question the purpose of these current stories beyond filling in time that was always meant to be overlooked originally.

That's not to say nothing has been gained from the findings of Dragon Ball Super's world. It's just that the characters continuing their growth is part of Dragon Ball's fun. It's difficult to capture that old charm when we're still in the interest of maintaining appropriate continuity. It prevents significant change if you want to respect that. We know the endgame but said endgame is developing too slowly. That's the idea I'm going for.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:59 pm

Nejishiki wrote:
sangofe wrote:
If the story must be revived, I'd like for it to extend beyond the ending of Dragon Ball as Dragon Ball GT tried before. As things currently stand, it's strange how the narrative drags by progressive months instead of skipping ahead. We don't know what it means now, which is part of not completely judging it yet. If it complements what's expected to come, I'll be satisfied. Otherwise, I'll question the purpose of these current stories beyond filling in time that was always meant to be overlooked originally.

That's not to say nothing has been gained from the findings of Dragon Ball Super's world. It's just that the characters continuing their growth is part of Dragon Ball's fun. It's difficult to capture that old charm when we're still in the interest of maintaining appropriate continuity. It prevents significant change if you want to respect that. We know the endgame but said endgame is developing too slowly. That's the idea I'm going for.
Right, so you didn't talk about the pacing. Gotcha.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:25 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:I don't think I've disagreed with someone this much right now :lol:
(Don't take that seriously)
No worrries. For me, at least, favorite ≠ best, though they are pretty close here.
SaiyanGod117 wrote:Are you serious? Honest question
Yep. :P
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

ciccioDM

Post by ciccioDM » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:30 pm

1. Dragon Ball Z - I know it's an obvious answer, but seriously, I love this so much. For the music, for the characters, for the art.
2. Dragon Ball - Didn't know whether to put this or Super in 2nd place, but I went with the classic story.
3. Dragon Ball Super - This series is so FULL of fanservice from the beginning until now. ...and that's why I like it so much. Other than that, looks cool, and Sumitomo tracks are on point.
4. Dragon Ball GT - I don't hate nor love DBGT. It's enjoyable, and has a wonderful soundtrack. The story has good ideas, but bad executed.
5. Dragon Ball Kai Boo Saga - This one is pretty well done! This remastered version is a joy for my eyes! :P But the first part of Kai...
6. Dragon Ball Kai - ...I actually don't like it, mostly because of the colors. Almost looks fan-made for me :\

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:38 pm

1. Dragon Ball - The story, characters, and comedy make his number 1 to me. Dragon Ball is underrated, and it's a shame that so many people have just chosen not to watch it.

2. Dragon Ball Z - I love DBZ, but it has too many flaws to put it over the first anime. The plot is more contrived, more filler and dragged out moments, and has the worst arc in the original series weighing it down.

3. Dragon Ball Super - I know it's not perfect, but it is enjoyable. I like 3/4 arcs and the Goku Black arc was pretty solid. That being said, I don't see it ever matching the original 2 animes in terms of quality.

4. Dragon Ball GT - It's not that bad, people. GT has some bad parts here and there, but it is still filled with great ideas and concepts. Baby in particular is a great villain.

5. Dragon Ball Kai - I love Kai's English dub, but the show is just a mess. The music score issues, weird redrawn scenes, and overall lack of any original content make this show worthless. It's only saving grace is the dub.

6. Dragon Ball Kai Buu - Butchered and ugly. It ruined almost every iconic scene from the Buu arc except for like 2 of them.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:43 pm

Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball GT
Dragon Ball Super/Z
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:53 pm

1. Dragon Ball Kai - Much like other Z is the portion of the series that got me hooked, Kai fixes its greatest flaw (the pacing). I consider 1.0 and 2.0 the same show

2. Dragon Ball - The best written of all the series and the sense of adventure is a great breath of fresh air from the fast-paced action of Kai and Z

3. Dragon Ball Z - The most nostalgia-filled series, I mostly watch for the Japanese version and Ocean dubs

4. Dragon Ball Super - Started off rough, but its at least enjoyable now and has some good concepts

5. Dragon Ball GT - Great concepts with inadequate execution. Don't hate it though, the Tokunaga score and Baby arcs are the most memorable part(s)
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:12 pm

DB is doing a hell of a lot better then I thought it would. Just shows that it's the best of the series 8)
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸