Would you like to see adventure come back?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Would you like to see adventure come back?

Post by Captain Strawberry » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:50 am

I would like to see it come back though I am biased on that since adventure is one of my favourite genres.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Gog
I Live Here

Re: Would you like to see adventure come back?

Post by Gog » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:52 am

I wouldn't mind it's return, perhaps a trip through the universe, no a trip through all twelve universes!

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:04 pm

I'd love it, but no. Adventure is for the young. Goku and Bulma have moved on from that and have families of their own to care for.
Gog wrote:I wouldn't mind it's return, perhaps a trip through the universe, no a trip through all twelve universes!
That would be cool actually, and more interesting than a tournament where all 12 universes meet.

It's so conflicting for me. :crazy:
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:27 pm

Yes. Adventure sounds so much more appealing to me than yet another tournament so soon on the heels of the previous one.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:50 pm

Ever since I heard about the 12 universes it was what I wanted. 12 whole universes, and no one exploring a damn thing, Talk about Chekov's gun never going off.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:09 pm

FoolsGil wrote:Ever since I heard about the 12 universes it was what I wanted. 12 whole universes, and no one exploring a damn thing, Talk about Chekov's gun never going off.
It was never hinted nor implied the characters would explore the 12 universes, especially because Dragon Ball is a shounen. The most logical expectation was to see the 12 universes best fighters and Gods, and we are getting it next arc
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:20 pm

emperior wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:Ever since I heard about the 12 universes it was what I wanted. 12 whole universes, and no one exploring a damn thing, Talk about Chekov's gun never going off.
It was never hinted nor implied the characters would explore the 12 universes, especially because Dragon Ball is a shounen. The most logical expectation was to see the 12 universes best fighters and Gods, and we are getting it next arc
That's not how it should be. If a writer brings up multiple universes, he or she should be ready to explore it. And shonen isn't an excuse to not write correctly.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:10 pm

Of course. But this just reminds me of how upset I am over the potential stories that are being thrown away due the circumstances of the Universe Survival arc. I mean, GT, for all the shit I give that show, at least tried to bring back a sense of adventure in the very first arc, but like a lot of GT, it severely lacked in execution. Super really has no excuse for practically pissing away the whole multiverse concept that Battle Of Gods introduced for the sake of a tournament. I'm so disappointed the show is going into that direction. There's so much they could do with the other universes.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:24 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Of course. But this just reminds me of how upset I am over the potential stories that are being thrown away due the circumstances of the Universe Survival arc. I mean, GT, for all the shit I give that show, at least tried to bring back a sense of adventure in the very first arc, but like a lot of GT, it severely lacked in execution. Super really has no excuse for practically pissing away the whole multiverse concept that Battle Of Gods introduced for the sake of a tournament. I'm so disappointed the show is going into that direction. There's so much they could do with the other universes.
GT does lack for execution, but I do like the first part of the show. I get being disappointed when a story doesn't take advantage of certain elements, be it a character or story possibilities, but I still think we should judge these things mostly on their own merits (or lack thereof) as opposed to judging it against where we think the story should have gone.
And shonen isn't an excuse to not write correctly.
There is no correctly in this case. This isn't Chekov's Gun at all. You just don't like how the gun is being fired.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:43 pm

ABED wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Of course. But this just reminds me of how upset I am over the potential stories that are being thrown away due the circumstances of the Universe Survival arc. I mean, GT, for all the shit I give that show, at least tried to bring back a sense of adventure in the very first arc, but like a lot of GT, it severely lacked in execution. Super really has no excuse for practically pissing away the whole multiverse concept that Battle Of Gods introduced for the sake of a tournament. I'm so disappointed the show is going into that direction. There's so much they could do with the other universes.
GT does lack for execution, but I do like the first part of the show. I get being disappointed when a story doesn't take advantage of certain elements, be it a character or story possibilities, but I still think we should judge these things mostly on their own merits (or lack thereof) as opposed to judging it against where we think the story should have gone.
But you just can't help but think, "What could have been?". I mean, my favourite arc in all of Dragon Ball, the Future Trunks arc, happens entirely because of the multiverse concept that was introduced, with Zamasu, the central villain, being from a completely another Universe. I mean, if they could do that with just one of the other universes, can you imagine what they could do with the other 10.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:51 pm

And it's fun to think of those things, but judge the merits of the story, characters, etc. and not simply against what you think they should have done.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:59 pm

I second this. I'm very disappointed in Shueisha for likely sacrificing universes we haven't even gotten a chance to visit and possibly never will for a tournament (and so soon on the heels of another tournament).

The only way I'd be more lenient would be if they weren't going to destroy the losing universes.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:23 pm

Sure, I'd love to see more adventure. The bright side I've been looking at with the Universe Tournament happening so soon, is that it's happening already, so once it's done it will be out of the way and we won't have to worry about it anymore. Then we can possible look forward to other concepts like adventure. This is assuming of course that the other universes aren't destroyed in this arc or they even feel like going the route of Exploring other planets at all.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:13 pm

Gog wrote:I wouldn't mind it's return, perhaps a trip through the universe, no a trip through all twelve universes!
Before we go that far we should first explore a bit more Earth, then the 4 galaxies, then the whole universe 7 and then we can explore the other Universes.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Thouser » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:48 am

FoolsGil wrote:That's not how it should be. If a writer brings up multiple universes, he or she should be ready to explore it. And shonen isn't an excuse to not write correctly.
Disregarding the fact that there is not a "correct" way to tell a story, there was absolutely no implication that we would ever see any of those other universes. If I remember, the implication was that there were enough universes for there to be lots of people stronger than Goku, right? The whole point of that reveal was just to hammer home the point of Beerus defeating Goku: that there's always someone better out there. That's just an extention of Jackie Chun from the 21st budōkai.

The fact that Goku and co. are going to take on fighters from the other universes is the most direct extention of that idea. The point wasn't that there were more worlds to explore but that there were plenty of stronger guys for Goku to fight and improve himself.
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:03 am

Thouser wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:That's not how it should be. If a writer brings up multiple universes, he or she should be ready to explore it. And shonen isn't an excuse to not write correctly.
Disregarding the fact that there is not a "correct" way to tell a story, there was absolutely no implication that we would ever see any of those other universes. If I remember, the implication was that there were enough universes for there to be lots of people stronger than Goku, right? The whole point of that reveal was just to hammer home the point of Beerus defeating Goku: that there's always someone better out there. That's just an extention of Jackie Chun from the 21st budōkai.

The fact that Goku and co. are going to take on fighters from the other universes is the most direct extention of that idea. The point wasn't that there were more worlds to explore but that there were plenty of stronger guys for Goku to fight and improve himself.

This. Also what do people expect from an adventure in Dragon Ball these days? It worked on the first chapters of the manga because Goku wasn't overpowered as he is now. Right now I just can't see how an adventure would work without an enemy. It would be Namek 2.0
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:11 am

emperior wrote:
Thouser wrote:

This. Also what do people expect from an adventure in Dragon Ball these days? It worked on the first chapters of the manga because Goku wasn't overpowered as he is now. Right now I just can't see how an adventure would work without an enemy. It would be Namek 2.0
You could get rid of Goku... Yeah it would be Namek again

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:15 am

Adventure wasn't ever a feature of Dragon Ball with the exception of three arcs.

Now with the characters having the ability of sensing ki and Goku's Shunkan ido, an adventure is very unlikely unless the writing bends to make it possible and I don't see it happening.
I would love to explore the other Universes but, yeah... :cry:

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:43 am

LightBing wrote:Adventure wasn't ever a feature of Dragon Ball with the exception of three arcs.
Three arcs out of 10? That's a hearty chunk of the series. Personally I would say 4 with the Daimao arc.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:52 am

Yea, I would like that just traveling around one of the galaxies in another universe having the cast meet and interact with various races, maybe help an insurrectionist group along the way.