The SSj 4 as I see it

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Terra-jin
Regular

The SSj 4 as I see it

Post by Terra-jin » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:56 am

Just wanted to share my view of how the Super Saiyan 4 should have been in my opinion. I don't like GT's SSj 4 because it is such a strange transformation. The red hair and eyelids make it seem like some kind of mutated Oozaru/normal form hybrid.

My SSj 4 would be the end of the Super Saiyan spectrum in every sense. It's a normal form Saiyan with just one difference: the green eyes. The long, golden hair, the wild aura and the massive energy consumption would disappear. I like this version of the Super Saiyan 4 because it basically returns the Saiyan to his roots after he has mastered all the Super Saiyan transformations.

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:34 am

My SSj 4 would be the end of the Super Saiyan spectrum in every sense. It's a normal form Saiyan with just one difference: the green eyes.
Hmm, well... I have to be frank; this sounds pretty boring. The only change being eye colors? There's nothing visually exciting or cool about that at all. SSJ4 may be a little odd looking, but it is at least visually striking, and a more clear indicator that some sort of power increase has occured.

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: The SSj 4 as I see it

Post by MisterFlashdude » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:25 am

Terra-jin wrote: The red hair and eyelids make it seem like some kind of mutated Oozaru/normal form hybrid.
That was the point. The pinacle of Super Saiya-jin transformations was suppose to represent a harmony between the Saiya-jin's normal side and beast side.

Not that I care very much for the transformation, either... that's just how it goes.

Son_GokouSSJ4
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son_GokouSSJ4 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:08 am

Well, to tell the truth and even though it's not an 'Akira Toriyama' creation, I have the super saiyan 4 transformation as one of my favorites (actually...MY favorite).
It's just such a radical change of looks and power that really made me feel amazed, not to mention that it gives both Vegeta and Gokou a very tough look. :P
And like MisterFlashdude said, it represents a harmony between beast saiyan and their regular side, so taking that into account, it was well pulled-off.
ORA SONGOKOU DA!

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:36 am

I find it weird how kid Goku turns into an adult when he goes SSJ4. :?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:32 am

Castor Troy wrote:I find it weird how kid Goku turns into an adult when he goes SSJ4. :?
It may have been weird, but I welcomed it. That's one of the things I really disliked about GT. Goku being a child the entire time. It was funny at first but they really should have put him back to normal after the Black Star Dragonball saga. At least when he changed to SSJ4, we briefly got a break from the "tired gimmick" and got to see Goku at his peak as a powerful and skilled fighter again.
Last edited by Jerseymilk on Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

majix101

Post by majix101 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:49 am

Son_GokouSSJ4 wrote:Well, to tell the truth and even though it's not an 'Akira Toriyama' creation, I have the super saiyan 4 transformation as one of my favorites (actually...MY favorite).
It's just such a radical change of looks and power that really made me feel amazed, not to mention that it gives both Vegeta and Goku a very tough look. :P
And like MisterFlashdude said, it represents a harmony between beast saiyan and their regular side, so taking that into account, it was well pulled-off.
I think ssj4 Goku was actually designed by Akira Toriyama.

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:16 am

Son_GokouSSJ4 wrote:Well, to tell the truth and even though it's not an 'Akira Toriyama' creation, I have the super saiyan 4 transformation as one of my favorites (actually...MY favorite).
It's just such a radical change of looks and power that really made me feel amazed, not to mention that it gives both Vegeta and Goku a very tough look. :P
majix101 is right, SSJ4 was a Toriyama creation, just not one that's canon.
I also go by "veemonjosh".

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:23 am

I thought Toriyama just sketched a SSj 4 Goku for the GT Dragon Box.
Where's the beef?

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:25 am

Toriyama himself inthe DBGT dragonbox, translated by Julian (in this thread):

たとえば このGTに登場する『スーパーサイヤ人4』というのは中鶴くんのデザインで、上に描いた絵は、ボクがそれを見て描いた 似顔絵なんです。うまく描いたでしょうか?
For example, "Super Saiyan 4," which appears in GT, was Nakatsuru-kun's design. The image I drew above is the likeness I made after looking at it. Did I do a good job?

Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru designed Super Saiyan 4.

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:12 pm

desirecampbell wrote: For example, "Super Saiyan 4," which appears in GT, was Nakatsuru-kun's design. The image I drew above is the likeness I made after looking at it. Did I do a good job?

Huh, guess that proved some fansites wrong.
I also go by "veemonjosh".

Son_GokouSSJ4
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son_GokouSSJ4 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:59 pm

desirecampbell wrote:Toriyama himself inthe DBGT dragonbox, translated by Julian (in this thread):

たとえば このGTに登場する『スーパーサイヤ人4』というのは中鶴くんのデザインで、上に描いた絵は、ボクがそれを見て描いた 似顔絵なんです。うまく描いたでしょうか?
For example, "Super Saiyan 4," which appears in GT, was Nakatsuru-kun's design. The image I drew above is the likeness I made after looking at it. Did I do a good job?

Enough said! :lol:
ORA SONGOKOU DA!

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:52 pm

Son Goku wrote:
desirecampbell wrote: For example, "Super Saiyan 4," which appears in GT, was Nakatsuru-kun's design. The image I drew above is the likeness I made after looking at it. Did I do a good job?

Huh, guess that proved some fansites wrong.
Well, not entirely. Nakatsuru designed a lot of things through the course of Dragonball too. He was the original designer of Bardock's team before Toriyama-sama went back and re-did them, though Bardock didn't change much. Toriyama-sama's even stated a few times he can't tell the diffrence between what was his and what was Nakatsuru's anymore. :lol:
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:24 pm

Terra-jin wrote:The red hair and eyelids make it seem like some kind of mutated Oozaru/normal form hybrid.
Thats exactly what a Super Saiyan 4 is...

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:36 am

t0ffe3m4n wrote:
Terra-jin wrote:The red hair and eyelids make it seem like some kind of mutated Oozaru/normal form hybrid.
Thats exactly what a Super Saiyan 4 is...
This thread was 'dead' for more than 14 days. Please watch out for Necro-posting in the future (especially when all your post does is repeat something previously states).
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:22 am

I think that the Super Saiyan 4 design is excellent, but I don't actually regard it as a "Super Saiyan" transformation. Allow me explain:

I see all Saiyan transformations travelling down two paths, the first of all being the Oozaru transformation, the second of all being the straight up golden haired Super Saiyan. I see "Super Saiyan 4" as being more of an Oozaru 2 or a perfect Oozaru, as opposed to following the regular super saiyan transformations which appear to reach their limit at Super Saiyan 3 (on more than one occasion do we see Goku explain that using this transformation uses a great deal of power and can't be sustained for long lenghs of time in the mortal world).

Therefore I think the design is great as it captures the actual ape-like qualities which are required with an Oozaru follow up.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Grandmaster J
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Grandmaster J » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:07 pm

Okay. I'm gonna say it again. I thought the SSJ4 design in DBGT was lame. The red body hair, tan pants and black shoes didn't make any sense to me. So, Iam currently working on a sketch of the how I think SSJ4 Goku should've looked like, in my eyes. As soon as I finish it, I'll post it up.

Here's a quick description: red pupils, golden hair (not sure about the length yet), golden body hair covering the neck, back, chest, arms, backside and legs (just like a monkey, or the golden Oozaru), and no clothing at all (well maybe a little something to cover up his package). :lol:

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:54 pm

I'm tellin' ya, they get magic capabilities in SSj4, and use it to give themselves t3h 1337 0u7fi7z. Oy.

Anywho, if portrayed correctly, SSj4 is perfect for what it is. The true pinnacle of a Saiyan's power, combining their rational side and their monkey side into one, big form of uber power stuff.

I've thought of redesigning it, too, but it still always centers around that.

At least I should be glad I've got a (couple of) fellow SSj4 fans...
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:43 am

I much preferred the design used for Gogeta over that of Goku and Vegeta.

My "imagination" Super Saiyan 4 would have long, orange hair and orange fur (A combination of Brown and Gold, if such exists). A golden aura in the Manga and a red aura in the Anime, along with those weird little pixie dot things that were in Ssj4 Gogeta's aura in Budokai 3. Also, it would have magic pants.

Swift
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swift » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:27 am

Though I admit I haven't actually seen far enough in GT to see the SSJ4 form in action, I've always liked it's premise and design. Having yet another Super Saiyan transformation similar to SSJ1-3 would be repetitive and boring. SSJ4, on the other hand, offers something new: the fusion of the humanoid Super Saiyan form and the Ôzaru Saiyan form, creating the ultimate warrior. It's extremely different from the other SSJ forms, but that's exactly what I like about it. It's a very creative idea, and a nice change of pace from the standard Super Saiyan transformations that are triggered by anger/training. Still, I can't say how well it was actually executed in the series without having seen it.