DBZ "Vengeance of the Demon King" Malaysian VHS

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
SupaFumeiJin
Newbie
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:05 pm
Contact:

DBZ "Vengeance of the Demon King" Malaysian VHS

Post by SupaFumeiJin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:53 pm

So I was randomly browsing for Dragon Ball VHS tapes when I ran across this amusing little Australian release titled "Vengeance of the Demon King" released by Speedy Video. Undoubtedly this is a VHS release of the "Malaysian dub" of DBZ movie 1 but what's surprising to me is the fact that Speedy released stuff outside of Malaysia and that it's on VHS instead of VCD.

EDIT: Turns out this is actually a Malaysian release which makes more sense, I just assumed it was Australian because the seller was from Australia.

Anyways, I just wanted to share it here as I couldn't find info about it anywhere else and I found the description on the back of the tape absolutely hysterical.

"Kakarot's father and God have a long lasting fend between them. Kakarot promised that when he grew up he will turn earth into a demon paradise. Therefore, he gathered the 7 dragonballs to give him eternal life but 4 of the dragonball are on Gohan hat. Therefore he kidnapped Gohan and when Goku came to know of this, he rush to rescue his son and also to prevent Kakarot plan of turning earth into a demon's paradise. How will Goku rescue his son and can he defeat the eternal life Kakarot?"

Let me remind you that this was an official release...

Here are pictures:
Front cover
Image
Back cover
Image
Tape itself
Image
Last edited by SupaFumeiJin on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That's not wrong gentlemen 'mondo cool' is a very accurate description for what is being shown to you at this exact moment"

User avatar
Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10274
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany

Re: DBZ "Vengeance of the Demon King" Australian VHS

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:58 pm

I need this.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16591
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: DBZ "Vengeance of the Demon King" Australian VHS

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:I need this.
Uhh... excuse me? You need this?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10274
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany

Re: DBZ "Vengeance of the Demon King" Australian VHS

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:38 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I need this.
Uhh... excuse me? You need this?
Fine, but when you are done, send me a copy.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

User avatar
TheGreatness25
I Live Here
Posts: 4259
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: DBZ "Vengeance of the Demon King" Australian VHS

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 pm

Heh heh heh. That's awesome. Out of pure curiosity, I'd love to see this thing. I think the greatest thing that could ever happen is if a complete joke of a dub came out. Like Bobby takes his son, Billy, to his friends' house on an island so that Billy could learn how to play volleyball, but unexpectedly, an alien named Rudy lands, telling Bobby that he wants to marry him and if he won't go through with it, he'll just take Billy. Now Bobby has to team up with Greener -- his youngest cousin -- to take on Rudy to get Billy back!

User avatar
LordCrumb
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:33 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: DBZ "Vengeance of the Demon King" Australian VHS

Post by LordCrumb » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:00 am

I can't see anything on the cover art that indicates it's an Australian release. Usually it would atleast have the old school classification logo.

Thouser
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:18 pm
Location: Texas

Re: DBZ "Vengeance of the Demon King" Australian VHS

Post by Thouser » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:16 am

Interesting to see that text on the back in Chinese characters. It says 魔王復仇 (Revenge/Vengeance of the Demon King). There was apparently a Cantonese release of the film under that name.
Image
Image
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

User avatar
SupaFumeiJin
Newbie
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:05 pm
Contact:

Re: DBZ "Vengeance of the Demon King" Australian VHS

Post by SupaFumeiJin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:30 am

LordCrumb wrote:I can't see anything on the cover art that indicates it's an Australian release. Usually it would atleast have the old school classification logo.
Well, I assumed it was an Australian release as all of the other tapes this person was selling were Australian releases, I first thought it was a Southeast Asian release but if that were the case the seller would have probably put somewhere that the tape was NTSC and would not work with PAL VCRs. Maybe it was an Asian release but is region free? I'm not sure as I'm not too familiar with VHS technology.
"That's not wrong gentlemen 'mondo cool' is a very accurate description for what is being shown to you at this exact moment"

User avatar
TheGreatness25
I Live Here
Posts: 4259
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: DBZ "Vengeance of the Demon King" Australian VHS

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:12 pm

You just gotta love how the art on the back has nothing to do with Dead Zone -- err, excuse me, I mean "Vengeance of the Demon King."

Are we sure that this is an official release? I don't think it's that hard to make a cover like that, nor a label to slap on a VHS tape. And all of that white space on the cover...

User avatar
SupaFumeiJin
Newbie
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:05 pm
Contact:

Re: DBZ "Vengeance of the Demon King" Australian VHS

Post by SupaFumeiJin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:27 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Are we sure that this is an official release? I don't think it's that hard to make a cover like that, nor a label to slap on a VHS tape. And all of that white space on the cover...
Speedy Video did hold a legitimate license at some point from Animation International in Hong Kong so that makes me pretty confident in saying that this is an official release, as surprising as that may be.
"That's not wrong gentlemen 'mondo cool' is a very accurate description for what is being shown to you at this exact moment"

User avatar
clutchins
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:52 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu
Contact:

Re: DBZ "Vengeance of the Demon King" Australian VHS

Post by clutchins » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:29 pm

I have a feeling in my gut that is indeed an official release. The effort put into it is about the same amount Speedy put into their VCDs. Plus their name and address is on the box.
NC's resident Dragon Ball superfan

Episode Guides: [ DB | DBZ Uncut | DBZ Edited | DBGT | Movies/Specials | Kai ]
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
JacobYBM wrote:
Original Thread Topic wrote:Did Dragon Ball ever motivate you to exercise?
No, why would it? It's fiction. The strength of the characters is not possible to reach in reality.
I mean, you're pretty open about looking at cartoon porn. Why would you do that? It's fiction. The proportions of these women are not possible to reach in reality.

Thouser
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:18 pm
Location: Texas

Re: DBZ "Vengeance of the Demon King" Australian VHS

Post by Thouser » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:58 pm

SupaFumeiJin wrote:
LordCrumb wrote:I can't see anything on the cover art that indicates it's an Australian release. Usually it would atleast have the old school classification logo.
Well, I assumed it was an Australian release as all of the other tapes this person was selling were Australian releases, I first thought it was a Southeast Asian release but if that were the case the seller would have probably put somewhere that the tape was NTSC and would not work with PAL VCRs. Maybe it was an Asian release but is region free? I'm not sure as I'm not too familiar with VHS technology.
Speedy was set in Malaysia, which uses PAL. As far as Southeast Asia is concerned, only the Philippines and Myanmar use NTSC.
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

User avatar
floofychan333
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1374
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:03 pm
Location: Edmonton, Canada

Re: DBZ "Vengeance of the Demon King" Australian VHS

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:05 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Heh heh heh. That's awesome. Out of pure curiosity, I'd love to see this thing. I think the greatest thing that could ever happen is if a complete joke of a dub came out. Like Bobby takes his son, Billy, to his friends' house on an island so that Billy could learn how to play volleyball, but unexpectedly, an alien named Rudy lands, telling Bobby that he wants to marry him and if he won't go through with it, he'll just take Billy. Now Bobby has to team up with Greener -- his youngest cousin -- to take on Rudy to get Billy back!
I would literally cry for hours if this was the dub. That's butchering Dragon Ball even more than the Speedy Dub did.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

User avatar
TheGreatness25
I Live Here
Posts: 4259
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: DBZ "Vengeance of the Demon King" Australian VHS

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:21 am

floofychan333 wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:Heh heh heh. That's awesome. Out of pure curiosity, I'd love to see this thing. I think the greatest thing that could ever happen is if a complete joke of a dub came out. Like Bobby takes his son, Billy, to his friends' house on an island so that Billy could learn how to play volleyball, but unexpectedly, an alien named Rudy lands, telling Bobby that he wants to marry him and if he won't go through with it, he'll just take Billy. Now Bobby has to team up with Greener -- his youngest cousin -- to take on Rudy to get Billy back!
I would literally cry for hours if this was the dub. That's butchering Dragon Ball even more than the Speedy Dub did.
So what, though? It's all in good fun. It's not like anyone's going to be changing up the original story. It's the same as what Team Four Star did, except making it more silly.

User avatar
SupaFumeiJin
Newbie
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:05 pm
Contact:

Re: DBZ "Vengeance of the Demon King" Australian VHS

Post by SupaFumeiJin » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:24 pm

Thouser wrote:Speedy was set in Malaysia, which uses PAL. As far as Southeast Asia is concerned, only the Philippines and Myanmar use NTSC.
Ah I see, I assumed all of Asia used NTSC but I stand corrected.
"That's not wrong gentlemen 'mondo cool' is a very accurate description for what is being shown to you at this exact moment"

Danfun64
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1355
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Re: DBZ "Vengeance of the Demon King" Malaysian VHS

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:04 pm

SupaFumeiJin wrote:"Kakarot's father and God have a long lasting fend between them. Kakarot promised that when he grew up he will turn earth into a demon paradise. Therefore, he gathered the 7 dragonballs to give him eternal life but 4 of the dragonball are on Gohan hat. Therefore he kidnapped Gohan and when Goku came to know of this, he rush to rescue his son and also to prevent Kakarot plan of turning earth into a demon's paradise. How will Goku rescue his son and can he defeat the eternal life Kakarot?"
...and I thought "Big Green" messed up the plot of DBZ Movie 1 badly enough (saying Goku killed Piccolo, saying that instead of killing Kami Piccolo's death means he is "no longer immortal".

But to say Garlic Jr is Kakarot... I don't think even the Speedy dub proper made that error.

Still, I didn't know vhs tapes of the speedy dub existed.....

considering the distortion in many of the speedy vcds, I wonder if that tape has better audio than its vcd counterpart.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:12 pm
Location: USA

Re: DBZ "Vengeance of the Demon King" Australian VHS

Post by DrBriefsCat » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:09 pm

SupaFumeiJin wrote:
Thouser wrote:Speedy was set in Malaysia, which uses PAL. As far as Southeast Asia is concerned, only the Philippines and Myanmar use NTSC.
Ah I see, I assumed all of Asia used NTSC but I stand corrected.
Actually, this is only partially true. While Malaysia uses PAL for VHS, they print DVDs in NTSC.
Last edited by DrBriefsCat on Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 8 times in total.

User avatar
ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1365
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:40 pm

Re: DBZ "Vengeance of the Demon King" Malaysian VHS

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:30 pm

So, Bardock is "fends" with Kami and Goku has to defeat himself before Kakarot turns Earth into a demon's paradise?
Makes sense lol

What I said was in jest, but isn't that close to what we just had in Super with Goku Black?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

User avatar
floofychan333
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1374
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:03 pm
Location: Edmonton, Canada

Re: DBZ "Vengeance of the Demon King" Australian VHS

Post by floofychan333 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:40 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:Heh heh heh. That's awesome. Out of pure curiosity, I'd love to see this thing. I think the greatest thing that could ever happen is if a complete joke of a dub came out. Like Bobby takes his son, Billy, to his friends' house on an island so that Billy could learn how to play volleyball, but unexpectedly, an alien named Rudy lands, telling Bobby that he wants to marry him and if he won't go through with it, he'll just take Billy. Now Bobby has to team up with Greener -- his youngest cousin -- to take on Rudy to get Billy back!
I would literally cry for hours if this was the dub. That's butchering Dragon Ball even more than the Speedy Dub did.
So what, though? It's all in good fun. It's not like anyone's going to be changing up the original story. It's the same as what Team Four Star did, except making it more silly.
Yeah, now I want to see this. It would be cringeworthy but really hilarious.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Post Reply