What Funimation could do regarding Vegito's name in the future

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
mecha3000
Regular
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:00 pm

What Funimation could do regarding Vegito's name in the future

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:57 am

SPOILERS FOR SUPER AHEAD FOR DUB-ONLY WATCHERS!!!

With Kai's Buu Saga now airing on Toonami, I really would like it if Funimation decided to better explain why Vegeta and Kakarot somehow equals Vegito when it really makes no sense while the original Japanese version makes perfect sense. I've kind of come up with a decent explanation even though I know for a fact that Funimation most likely didn't do anything to explain the name better in Kai and are probably not going to do it in Super (as evidenced by the video games keeping "Vegito").

To most fans, this is obvious: But why not make a creative dub change and have Vegito declare himself like: "Vegeta plus Goku eh, I guess that makes me Vegeto!". To a degree, this makes sense because: "Vegeta + Goku CAN = Vegeto" if you replace Kakarot with Goku and explain it as the "to" in Vegito comes from "go" from Goku. I mean, Vegeto's "to" and "go" already rhyme so this shouldn't be too much of a problem. It would also be unique for a fusion to use the first part of the second fusee's name as a basis for the name choice.

I know it isn't accurate to the original intent of the manga (Vegeta and Kakarotto), but still - I think this is one change that would be understandable for Kai's Buu Saga and Super. And if Funimation didn't do it initially with Kai, I would hope they would with Super. This way, the age old question of WHY DOES VEGETA PLUS KAKAROT EQUAL VEGITO can be put to rest, at least from a dub point of view. Besides, in Super - Vegito does describe himself as "I'm the fusion between Vegeta and Kakarot, Vegito!" So, why can't Funi change it to "I'm the fusion between Vegeta and Goku, Vegeto!"

I already know they aren't though, because I think Crunchyroll kept Vegito (along with Evil Containment Wave, which I would rather have been kept to Mafuba but whatever). Besides, I understand sub and dub purists wouldn't like such a change and I do admit it would be pointless at this point.

User avatar
nickzambuto
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1525
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:53 pm

Re: What Funimation could do regarding Vegito's name in the future

Post by nickzambuto » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:06 am

This suggestion doesn't make any sense. So what if To and Go rhyme? His name isn't Toku.

User avatar
DHM211
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:48 pm
Contact:

Re: What Funimation could do regarding Vegito's name in the future

Post by DHM211 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:11 am

Funimation could just do what the Viz manga did and call him Vegerot.

User avatar
mecha3000
Regular
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:00 pm

Re: What Funimation could do regarding Vegito's name in the future

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:23 am

nickzambuto wrote:This suggestion doesn't make any sense. So what if To and Go rhyme? His name isn't Toku.
I clearly said the "to" that comes from "Vegito" rhymes with "go". Not the actual words "to" and "go". And what I meant was that Vegeta plus Goku could make Vegeto because the "o" at the end of Vegito could be explained as coming from the o in Goku's name. And the way you pronounce VegeTOH rhymes with GOHku. I know his name is Toku, but I'm not trying to explain it as his fusion name being: Vegego. I'm just saying perhaps it could be explained better for dub fans and just English-speaking audiences in general (to somewhat avoid confusion) as the "to" part of Vegito rhymes with the "go" from Goku's name. It wouldn't exactly make sense, but to me - It'd make more sense than Funimation's version. Even Viz translated it as Vegerrot to avoid confusion.

But from your reply, it's obvious this would also cause confusion. Nevermind, let's just stick with the "less, but also more so IMO" confusing Vegeta plus Kakarot equals Vegito. Even the i bothers me. What's with Funi's obsession with i's? First, Frieza. Then, Vegito. I guess it adds sexiness to the names? Eh, whatever - I've accepted the names and casual fans don't seem to complain about stuff like this so I guess I shouldn't either.

EDIT: Although I do respect the Vegerot change (despite the fact that the change comes from Viz, a company currently experiencing controversy from the English translator of DB for certain reasons I or anyone else probably shouldn't really explicitly discuss here) - I doubt at this point that Funi would change the iconic name of Vegito. I just want them to "Vegeta plus Goku equals Vegeto" and "take the i out of Vegeto".

User avatar
TheGreatness25
I Live Here
Posts: 4259
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: What Funimation could do regarding Vegito's name in the future

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:19 pm

I'd prefer him not to be called Vegerot. The character's name is Vegetto. If people make such a fuss over proper names, going so far as to criticize how they pronounce names that are otherwise correct (Saiyan, Kaio-ken, etc.), then why in the hell would they change it to Vegerot?

They don't need an explanation. I'm willing to bet that this was an issue they originally faced. "We've called him Kakarot this entire time, but now suddenly, there's an 'o.'" I'm guessing that they decided that the fans will just get it and those who know how the name originated would be fine and those that don't... well, would they be thrown off by it? They don't need an explanation for anything.

The weird thing is why they came to spell the name "Vegito," as there's no "i" in either of their names. I don't think that they'd be changing the spelling at this juncture either, seeing as they seem to be going with what brought them to the dance, despite making the scripts much more accurate. I'm guessing they don't want to alienate their dub fans by suddenly going, "Yeah, even the name spelling is different!" I think that's why we still have "Ox King," "Spirit Bomb," etc. I know that they did a "Makankosappo" and "Kienzan," but if I recall correctly, wasn't that just a one-time thing and they called them "Special Beam Cannon" and "Destructo Disk" later on?

Anyway, I think that they really don't need to explain how the name "Vegito" came to be. I don't think many fans will be super hung-up on that... Then again, maybe I'm wrong.

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: What Funimation could do regarding Vegito's name in the future

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:45 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I'd prefer him not to be called Vegerot. The character's name is Vegetto. If people make such a fuss over proper names, going so far as to criticize how they pronounce names that are otherwise correct (Saiyan, Kaio-ken, etc.), then why in the hell would they change it to Vegerot?

They don't need an explanation. I'm willing to bet that this was an issue they originally faced. "We've called him Kakarot this entire time, but now suddenly, there's an 'o.'" I'm guessing that they decided that the fans will just get it and those who know how the name originated would be fine and those that don't... well, would they be thrown off by it? They don't need an explanation for anything.

The weird thing is why they came to spell the name "Vegito," as there's no "i" in either of their names. I don't think that they'd be changing the spelling at this juncture either, seeing as they seem to be going with what brought them to the dance, despite making the scripts much more accurate. I'm guessing they don't want to alienate their dub fans by suddenly going, "Yeah, even the name spelling is different!" I think that's why we still have "Ox King," "Spirit Bomb," etc. I know that they did a "Makankosappo" and "Kienzan," but if I recall correctly, wasn't that just a one-time thing and they called them "Special Beam Cannon" and "Destructo Disk" later on?

Anyway, I think that they really don't need to explain how the name "Vegito" came to be. I don't think many fans will be super hung-up on that... Then again, maybe I'm wrong.
Yeah the dub spellings are pretty much engraved on merchandise etc now, why Japan have started using Frieza a few times. As for Vegito specifically no one seems that bothered by it, it sounds cool so I think people rolled with it.

As for attacks name they did revert later in Kai1.0 for some reason maybe the cast was struggling to say them? It's so much easier saying Special Beam Canon than the Japanese one, you gotta remember they had to dub this for nicktoons.

User avatar
TheGreatness25
I Live Here
Posts: 4259
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: What Funimation could do regarding Vegito's name in the future

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:36 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:As for attacks name they did revert later in Kai1.0 for some reason maybe the cast was struggling to say them? It's so much easier saying Special Beam Canon than the Japanese one, you gotta remember they had to dub this for nicktoons.
I thought so. I'd be willing to bet that it had nothing to do with pronunciation or anything like that. I truly believe that they didn't want to alienate their dub fans. "Special Beam Cannon" is even in the video games. I don't think that the attack name changes were ever meant to be permanent; I think they were probably one-and-done to make us go "Whoaaaa!" It's nice to know that they know what the proper names are (even though it's obvious that they do lol).

User avatar
floofychan333
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1374
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:03 pm
Location: Edmonton, Canada

Re: What Funimation could do regarding Vegito's name in the future

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:29 pm

Technically, Vegarot is the most accurate. "Vegito" makes no sense in English because it's a fusion of "Bejita" and "Kakarotto," while in English the names are "Vegeta" and "Kakarot." So Vegarot works best because there's no "Bej" in English Vegeta and Kakarot in the dub doesn't have an "O" at the end.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Thouser
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:18 pm
Location: Texas

Re: What Funimation could do regarding Vegito's name in the future

Post by Thouser » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:30 pm

floofychan333 wrote:Technically, Vegarot is the most accurate.
What about "Veget?"

As for adaptations, didn't some European dubs ignore the Kakarrot thing and go with "Vegeku" or something?
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6116
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: What Funimation could do regarding Vegito's name in the future

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:38 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:The weird thing is why they came to spell the name "Vegito," as there's no "i" in either of their names. I don't think that they'd be changing the spelling at this juncture either, seeing as they seem to be going with what brought them to the dance, despite making the scripts much more accurate.
I remember that spelling even as far back as the Irwin Toys rebranded Super Battle Collection figures. That was way before FUNimation even got to that point in the series.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:37 am
Contact:

Re: What Funimation could do regarding Vegito's name in the future

Post by TheQuazz » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:59 pm

I think Funimation could make the name "Vegeto" work if once fusing, he decides on the name "Vegetoku", or "Vegeto" for short.

User avatar
mecha3000
Regular
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:00 pm

Re: What Funimation could do regarding Vegito's name in the future

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:30 pm

TheQuazz wrote:I think Funimation could make the name "Vegeto" work if once fusing, he decides on the name "Vegetoku", or "Vegeto" for short.
THIS, THIS, THIS!!! I actually wouldn't mind if Funi had changed the scipt a little to make Vegeto now say: "Vegeta plus Goku, eh? I guess that makes me Vegetoku? No, Vegeto for short. Sounds cooler. (if they could find a way to fit the mouth flaps with a script change like that)" However, I could understandably already see the DB purist YouTubers and the entirety of Kanzenshuu shouting NO, GO WITH WHAT TORIYAMA INTENDED. And I have no problem with that. I'm just really weird about things making sense and wish that English fans didn't have to be confused that Vegito's name makes absolutely no sense from a dub point of view.

I'm also the kind of person who doesn't get too annoyed with the dub changes because I know if Funi made this "Vegetoku. Nah, Vegeto sounds cooler" change - It would be unique to the English version only and fans can still watch the original version. It's like a movie dubbed into the English - If you didn't care for the changes in the script, you still have the original version (Although I can't really get into movie dubs that much because it's live-action instead of animated).

Once again though, I know Funimation wouldn't think to make such a change and most likely just went with the more faithful "Vegeta plus Kakarot? I guess that makes me Vegito even though this makes no sense because Kakarot doesn't have an o at the end of his name AND there's no I in Vegeta's name." Still, if I was in charge of the dub - I would at least suggest the change and discuss it over. Not trying to bring them up, but perhaps TFS would try to make sense of the name? Eh, probably not. They'd probably make a joke about the name not making sense haha.

EDIT: Also, Frieza bothers me less because it makes sense regardless of the i in his name. However, Vegito is just confusing.

User avatar
TheGreatness25
I Live Here
Posts: 4259
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: What Funimation could do regarding Vegito's name in the future

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:23 am

But... if they can make "Vegeto" work, they can make "Vegito" work. It's not like he ever spells his name out. His name spelling is kind of an "out-of-universe" thing. It's not like he ever goes, "Okay, V-E-G-I-T-O... perfect sense!" If it sounds the same, then it's fine.

User avatar
mecha3000
Regular
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:00 pm

Re: What Funimation could do regarding Vegito's name in the future

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:52 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:But... if they can make "Vegeto" work, they can make "Vegito" work. It's not like he ever spells his name out. His name spelling is kind of an "out-of-universe" thing. It's not like he ever goes, "Okay, V-E-G-I-T-O... perfect sense!" If it sounds the same, then it's fine.
You have a point, but the fact that I know there's an i in the name still bothers me. Also, although I really love the "Vegetoku" suggestion just because it would be a creative (yet not accurate) way to explain the English dub's Vegito name - I do admit that to some, it would make Vegito's entrance less badass. Instead of his precise and confident "I am Vegito" statement, it would become "Vegetoku? Nah, Vegito sounds cooler". However, I feel like the latter statement would still be accurate to Vegito's cocky ego and how he likes to hype himself up as "cooler" than his opponent.
Last edited by mecha3000 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
TheGreatness25
I Live Here
Posts: 4259
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: What Funimation could do regarding Vegito's name in the future

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:54 am

Or he could emphasize the "o" in Goku and then the "o" in Vegito to make the connection. Like "Vegeta and GOku... I guess that makes me VegitO." And yeah, I know that the "i" is bothersome, but again, that's kind of an out-of-universe thing.

User avatar
Gog
I Live Here
Posts: 4099
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:33 am
Location: Dio's World.

Re: What Funimation could do regarding Vegito's name in the future

Post by Gog » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:59 am

Vegita + Goku

= Vegito :thumbup:

Its that simple, for them to actually do

User avatar
TheGreatness25
I Live Here
Posts: 4259
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: What Funimation could do regarding Vegito's name in the future

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:02 am

The whole point is that Vegeta has no "i" in it. If we're changing around the Funimation spelling, we're back to square one and can simply make it "Vegeto" or "Vegetto."

User avatar
mecha3000
Regular
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:00 pm

Re: What Funimation could do regarding Vegito's name in the future

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:03 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:Or he could emphasize the "o" in Goku and then the "o" in Vegito to make the connection. Like "Vegeta and GOku... I guess that makes me VegitO." And yeah, I know that the "i" is bothersome, but again, that's kind of an out-of-universe thing.
Hmmm - Subtle, but effective. I like it!!! Instead of making up a new non-canon fake name like Vegetoku - They could just have it be voiced in a way that obviously tells a viewer the "to" part of Vegito comes from Go(ku). I like the way you guys think! As for the i thing, based on what you've said - I'm alright with it and would especially be so if we could at least have your suggestion become a reality.

Also, QUICK STORYIME: In elementary school, I was a fan of DBZ along with my friends. One day, we discussed Vegito's name (Yes, in elementary school - This even confused me). We didn't understand why Vegito was called Vegito (not because of the i) because Kakarot had no o at the end. My friend said, "Oh, it's simple why he's called Vegito. It's because you switch the o and t from the end of Kakarot when he fuses." If someone has to make such a head-canon to the point where it makes terrible sense, then I say it'd still be nice for Funi to try to make SOME sense of the name. But I know they won't.

EDIT: I guess what most of you guys are saying is that the pronunciation matters more than how it's spelled, which I guess I agree with because if you think about it - Perhaps (from a head-canon view), IN UNIVERSE Vegito is just a different way that Vegito spells his name to make the fusion more unique? However, Vegeta's name is not Vegita. So, it still makes no sense from that point of view.

User avatar
TheGreatness25
I Live Here
Posts: 4259
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: What Funimation could do regarding Vegito's name in the future

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:12 am

It's just an odd spelling that Funimation chose. Theoretically, it shouldn't make a difference. After all, Vegetto's name in its original language is not "Vegetto," "Vegeto," nor "Vegito," but rather "ベジット." My philosophy is always that as long as the translation captures the same sounds, I'm all for it. I'm okay with "Frieza" because at the end of the day, it's still the same name. I don't know what Funimation's thinking behind these strange spellings are. Maybe it's a copyright thing. I don't know. In either event, as I said, it's not like he spells his name out; it's an out-of-universe thing. But yeah, it's totally annoying.

User avatar
mecha3000
Regular
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:00 pm

Re: What Funimation could do regarding Vegito's name in the future

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:16 am

I agree. These days, Funimation captures the names perfectly to capture the puns or integrity such as: Beerus (Beer), Whis (Whiskey), and Cabba (Cabbage). Still, the problem with what we have suggested with "Vegeta plus Goku" is that a popular DB theory is that when Vegito is the fusion: Vegeta is in control more than Goku, which means he WOULD say Kakarot instead of Goku when describing Vegito. Still, I'm not sure if this is a fan theory or not so I don't know if it matters too much if it was changed to Goku for the dub (or at least Kai to have ONE version where it makes sense). Besides, he still would say Vegeta first before Goku so it still maintains the Vegeta being in control theory.

Post Reply