Dragon Ball Sōshūhen (Digest Edition) ending

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperKirillin
Not-So-Newbie

Dragon Ball Sōshūhen (Digest Edition) ending

Post by SuperKirillin » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:00 pm

The Dragon Ball Sōshūhen has been so far the most similar (or maybe the exact same) version of the manga serialized in the Weekly Jump. This is the only version to be serialized in the same format, the same size and color as the Weekly Jump releases.

The 18th and final issue of Dragon Ball Sōshūhen was released (most probably) on the last Friday (2017.01.13) which contained the last of the 519 Dragon Ball chapters.

Has anyone here obtained the final volume? If so, can you please produce a scan or even a photograph of the ending of the final chapter of this volume

If not, post a scan or photograph of the ending of Dragon Ball in any volume serialized in any language

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Sōshūhen (Digest Edition) ending

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:47 pm

It's the extended version Image

But it has this last page

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:23 pm

Doesn't that kinda... completely fly in the face of the whole "Read the series as it was presented in Weekly Shonen Jump!" thing? That was not the ending printed in Weekly Shonen Jump. That ending didn't even exist until years later.

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Thouser » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:10 pm

Vegard Aune wrote:Doesn't that kinda... completely fly in the face of the whole "Read the series as it was presented in Weekly Shonen Jump!" thing? That was not the ending printed in Weekly Shonen Jump. That ending didn't even exist until years later.
The Sōshūhen also used "Soba" for Shu's name. I'm disappointed that they used the kanzenban ending, but I'm not surprised either.
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:54 pm

This choice is... bizarre? I don't really mind, but the Kanzenban is still out there for anyone who wanted this ending. This makes me curious, which version did they use for the Full Color ending?
Retired.

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:06 pm

I guess the only way you can really experience Dragon Ball in its true authentic integrity will still be for many years to come through the original Weekly Jump run. Kinda disappointing, they came so close to a near-perfect release... They sure know how to drive us purists mad at Shueisha. :lol: I'm not holding my breath on this, but I hope there will be a reprint with the original ending.

Like Trunks' blue hair (which I really didn't mind,) I guess they're gonna pretend this is what the ending has always been (which I really do mind.)

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:22 am

Sigh. Well, this was certainly the final nail in the coffin I needed to validate me ignoring this release altogether. What an absolute waste. After listening to the podcast episode on it, it certainly didn't surprise me that they would use this ending, though. Honestly, this is basically just the Kanzenban slapped into a Jump format with splash text surrounding it. That's all. For anyone wanting the series as it was originally released, this is little more than lip service.

It really reminds me of the release of The Beatles in the U.S.A. boxset. It touted itself as a re-release of the long-out-of-print American releases, but they didn't actually use any of the mixes that had been made for the American releases. It was just the 2009 British re-masters re-ordered to fit the American track listing and put in re-created American packaging. So basically, you're just paying for the presentation because if you own any of the British editions and an American track listing, you have this content already and can easily make it for yourself.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

SuperKirillin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperKirillin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:23 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:This choice is... bizarre? I don't really mind, but the Kanzenban is still out there for anyone who wanted this ending. This makes me curious, which version did they use for the Full Color ending?
I found the following from another forum: viewtopic.php?t=23459&start=160

[spoiler]ImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]