I don't mind the stated reason why Broli is mad (at Goku / all the time)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: I don't mind the stated reason why Broli is mad (at Goku / all the time)

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:07 am

Metalwario64 wrote:I still think movie 8 is one of the better films, and I still feel that the Broly hate is as overblown as the fanboyism. He's not a great, deep character, but he's better than most of the movie villains.
It wasn't a good movie by any means, but it was definitely a good Dragon Ball Movie. If it only had a decent third act to pay off for all of the fantastic build-up.
Retired.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:52 am

It's not so dumb really. When King Vegeta stabbed Brolly as a baby the only thing Brolly could remember was Goku cries.
So he connects his trauma with Goku's crying. at least that's how I see it.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:35 am

floofychan333 wrote:
rereboy wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:How would Broly even remember Goku crying? Nobody remembers anything from when they're babies.
He doesn't, as I concluded after analyzing the actual movie: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37309

Also, as I also concluded, nowhere is it stated or even implied that Broly "hates" Goku or that his crying as a baby had any influence on Broly.
I thought that was the general consensus? More importantly, how does Broly even know Goku exists since they only saw each other as babies?
Read the topic I linked to. There's nothing in the actual movie pointing towards that. Being the general consensus doesn't stop it from being incorrect. There is an actual explanation presented in the movie for why Broly reacts that way to Goku and it has nothing to do with Broly remembering Goku or his crying making Broly mad.

Also, like I stated in the topic I linked to, Goku met Broly for the first time while he was accompanied by Vegeta and Paragus, and, at that time, Vegeta addressed Goku as "Kakarot" while Broly was within earshot before Broly ever addresses Goku. That means that Broly had the opportunity to learn his name before he even addressed Goku (besides the time when they were babies).
Cipher wrote: I think he actually does have some recollection of the crying though, right? In Movie 11, hearing Goten's is what sets him off.
In movie 8 there is absolutely no indication that he has any recollection of it at all. In movie 11, even though I haven't analyzed it recently, from what I remember, Goten sets him off because he looked and sounded like Goku and Goku had put a hole in his chest in the last movie.
Last edited by rereboy on Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:43 am

rereboy wrote:In movie 8 there is absolutely no indication that he has any recollection of it at all. In movie 11, even though I haven't analyzed it recently, from what I remember, Goten sets him off because he looked and sounded like Goku and Goku had put a hole in his chest in the last movie.
I'm actually totally down with your explanation having read that post and am not sure why I remembered Broli knowing Kakarot's name on his own. I think that's even an interpretation I've stood by at points, and was just thrown off by Movie 11 and misremembering things earlier.

So, yeah. The crib scenes just foreshadow Goku's ability to overcome and bother this much stronger foe.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:45 am

Kendamu wrote:I
They could've done anything else! Like, maybe Broli felt the energy of a bunch of Super Saiyans on Earth and it caused him to get super excited for a challenge and go on a rampage that destroyed an entire galaxy.
That is basically the stated reason in the movie for why Broly reacts that way to Goku.

As Paragus says in the movie: "Could it be Kakarot? Does this mean that Broly's instints as a Saiyan have been awakened by Kakarot's power and he is starting to overcome the limits of my control?"

That's the explanation offered in the movie for Broly's reaction. There is nothing in it about Broly remembering Goku or Goku's crying making Broly mad. That is just a complete misinterpretation of the movie. After analyzing the whole movie I couldn't even find anything that remotely points towards that as you can see in my topic about it: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37309
Cipher wrote:
rereboy wrote:In movie 8 there is absolutely no indication that he has any recollection of it at all. In movie 11, even though I haven't analyzed it recently, from what I remember, Goten sets him off because he looked and sounded like Goku and Goku had put a hole in his chest in the last movie.
I'm actually totally down with your explanation having read that post and am not sure why I remembered Broli knowing Kakarot's name on his own. I think that's even an interpretation I've stood by at points, and was just thrown off by Movie 11 and misremembering things earlier.

So, yeah. The crib scenes just foreshadow Goku's ability to overcome and bother this much stronger foe.
Thank you. I guess that you were probably influenced by the prevalent stereotype in the fanbase. But what actually exists in the movie is immune to that. If you haven't done so already, read my topic about this issue.