Why doesn't a villain ever try to blow up the sun?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gog
I Live Here

Re: Why doesn't a villain ever try to blow up the sun?

Post by Gog » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:51 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
ABED wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Wasn't the Earth's core dangerous to Goku? I can't imagine an exploding sun is something he could just shrug off.
Do you mean Namek's core?
There was an episode right after the Trunks arc where Bulma sends him underground to the Earth's core and he needs a suit to keep him alive down there. I assume a sun exploding would kill him if he needs protection against the Earth's core.
I'm sorry Ekrolo2 your getting your filler's confused, with the canon's

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:54 pm

Gog wrote: I'm sorry Ekrolo2 your getting your filler's confused, with the canon's
There is no such thing as Dragon Ball canonicity, especially not in Super. That the show that only cares about pseudo-consistency and pseudo-continuity actually cares about an absolute canoncity is an urban myth.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:56 pm

Cetra wrote:
Gog wrote: I'm sorry Ekrolo2 your getting your filler's confused, with the canon's
There is no such thing as Dragon Ball canonicity, especially not in Super. That the show that only cares about pseudo-consistency and pseudo-continuity actually cares about an absolute canoncity is an urban myth.
B-b-b-but I believe that there's a canon, I still believe.... :(

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:58 pm

Gog wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
ABED wrote: Do you mean Namek's core?
There was an episode right after the Trunks arc where Bulma sends him underground to the Earth's core and he needs a suit to keep him alive down there. I assume a sun exploding would kill him if he needs protection against the Earth's core.
I won't shit my pants laughing at the absurdity of using canon and Super in the same thought process when someone figures out wtf we're supposed to take as "canon" from that between the movies, show and manga.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:58 pm

Gog wrote: B-b-b-but I believe that there's a canon, I still believe.... :(
No one says you cannot. It is just an important difference.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:59 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Gog wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: There was an episode right after the Trunks arc where Bulma sends him underground to the Earth's core and he needs a suit to keep him alive down there. I assume a sun exploding would kill him if he needs protection against the Earth's core.
I won't shit my pants laughing at the absurdity of using canon and Super in the same thought process when someone figures out wtf we're supposed to take as "canon" from that between the movies, show and manga.
Its simple, you pick and choose at will... I think I'm the only person still desperately holding onto that phrase still having meaning

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:08 pm

Just be aware that this has no impact on what is and that you cannot actually use it while talking to people except for something like "I think".
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:19 pm

Cetra wrote:Just be aware that this has no impact on what is and that you cannot actually use it while talking to people except for something like "I think".
Yeah, I know :(

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:55 pm

Because they would... freeze to death and die? :?

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:01 pm

I can't really think of a situation where blowing up the sun would be massively beneficial, and the sun would have a far greater effect than just Earth specifically.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:32 pm

Gog wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
ABED wrote: Do you mean Namek's core?
Speaking of "filler", I haven't watched GT but heard Goku say something like "When I'm a SS4, even 6000 degrees won't hurt me" in Xenoverse 2.

How hot is Earth's core anyways?
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:38 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
ABED wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Wasn't the Earth's core dangerous to Goku? I can't imagine an exploding sun is something he could just shrug off.
Do you mean Namek's core?
Wasn't that due to the lack of oxygen? Beerus and Whis teleported to him and were pretty chill down there.

Earth's core should be nothing to Goku at this point in terms of temperature.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:44 pm

DBZ Macky wrote:
Gog wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: There was an episode right after the Trunks arc where Bulma sends him underground to the Earth's core and he needs a suit to keep him alive down there. I assume a sun exploding would kill him if he needs protection against the Earth's core.
Speaking of "filler", I haven't watched GT but heard Goku say something like "When I'm a SS4, even 6000 degrees won't hurt me" in Xenoverse 2.

How hot is Earth's core anyways?
Gt, we speak nothing of it, also that's in Dragon ball Xenoverse 2.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:55 am

Well, in case anyone missed it, and attempting (probably in vain) to get back on topic here, ABED mentioned on page one that the Vampire Lucifer tried to blow up the sun in Dragonball Movie 2: The Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle. It was his main ambition, and he even had a megalithic cannon set up to do just that. Just as he prepared to fire, Goku blew the platform out from under him with a Kamehameha. The cannon fell into the pit below, now vertical, and aimed away from the sun, it fired into outer space and subsequently vaporized Lucifer in the process. It really is a cool movie, and one of my favorites.

Question asked and answered, I guess you can go back to your "canon" arguments, even though the "Cannon" in question has been now answered in a bit more detail.
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:04 pm

ABED wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
ABED wrote: You don't need a moon to sustain life. You need a sun.
I didn't say that, my point was that it's unlikely they' take in to account the effects of blowing up the sun when they never took into account the effects of losing the moon.
I still don't see a big difference. Okay, you didn't say that, but the effect of blowing up the moon is competely different than blowing up a sun.
Do you not understand the effects of blowing up the moon would have on the Earth?
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:06 pm

Gonstead wrote:
ABED wrote:
Kanassa wrote: I didn't say that, my point was that it's unlikely they' take in to account the effects of blowing up the sun when they never took into account the effects of losing the moon.
I still don't see a big difference. Okay, you didn't say that, but the effect of blowing up the moon is competely different than blowing up a sun.
Do you not understand the effects of blowing up the moon would have on the Earth?
It wouldn't be nearly as devastating as losing the source of life in this solar system. My guess is we wouldn't have tides anymore if the moon was gone.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:05 am

ABED wrote:
Gonstead wrote:
ABED wrote:I still don't see a big difference. Okay, you didn't say that, but the effect of blowing up the moon is competely different than blowing up a sun.
It wouldn't be nearly as devastating as losing the source of life in this solar system. My guess is we wouldn't have tides anymore if the moon was gone.
https://www.spaceanswers.com/solar-syst ... -the-moon/
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:46 am

Seeing as how the Moon has been destroyed in DB not once, but TWICE, and these things didn't happen, your point is null and void.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:58 am

ABED wrote:Seeing as how the Moon has been destroyed in DB not once, but TWICE, and these things didn't happen, your point is null and void.
THAT is my point.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:28 am

Kanassa wrote:
ABED wrote:Seeing as how the Moon has been destroyed in DB not once, but TWICE, and these things didn't happen, your point is null and void.
THAT is my point.
I'm confused. What does destroying the moon have to do with the sun? Yes, in real life it would be devastating if either happened, but in fiction, it doesn't have to be. If blowing up the sun is more disasterous, then it is. It's a story, not an astronomy lecture. One does not have anything to do with the other. We're dealing with a world where real life physics has no basis. Characters fall for miles, crash into the ground, and nothing happens to them.
Last edited by ABED on Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.