Any examples of bad voice acting in the original?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Anonymous Friend
Advanced Regular

Any examples of bad voice acting in the original?

Post by Anonymous Friend » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:41 pm

While there's probably a few examples in the various English dubs of bad voice acting, how is the Japanese original in this regard?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Ajay

Re: Any examples of bad voice acting in the original?

Post by Ajay » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:55 pm

Hrm, I'm not sure I have a good enough memory to conjure any examples from the older series, but I think Horikawa's 'My Bulma' moment in Super was pretty bad.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:00 pm

This scene was badly executed and It was horrible Sean sounded bland and boring and the music was lifeless https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=58EWCg6bLYU

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:29 pm

Tsuru Hiromi, since Kai has refused to or can't emote. She has completely lost her charm and I kind of want her to be replaced. Kind of.

Then, there's Tanaka Mayumi's Yajirobe in Super. Probably, the one I dislike most. She completely forgot how Yajirobe sounded. It was really bad. None of the Muten Roushi's replacements sounded good to me. Miya'uchi had set the bar so high that none even came close. Same thing with Mr.Satan, Gouri Daisuke was just irreplaceable.

Kai, overall I thought the cast was at its weakest, cause Kai was a garbage product, so maybe nobody put any effort. But, in the 2 movies and Super, the main cast except Blooma has significantly improved. And the new additions have been really good. The acting department overall is still strong.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:21 pm

Wakamoto in Kai.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:44 pm

The gr wrote:This scene was badly executed and It was horrible Sean sounded bland and boring and the music was lifeless https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=58EWCg6bLYU
This thread is about the Japanese.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by successoroffate » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:38 am

I wouldn't include this as bad voice acting but rather as "forced." Wasn't Kaiosama's voice actor sick or in bad health during the first episodes of Super? His tone of voice didn't match Kaio's actions and he was eventually replaced.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:14 pm

The gr wrote:This scene was badly executed and It was horrible Sean sounded bland and boring and the music was lifeless https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=58EWCg6bLYU
Who's voicing Frieza in this one? Also, Sean's voice is somewhat mediocre but the music is even worse. It's devoid of all emotion and literally just noise.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by simtek34 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:24 pm

floofychan333 wrote: Who's voicing Frieza in this one? Also, Sean's voice is somewhat mediocre but the music is even worse. It's devoid of all emotion and literally just noise.
Linda Young
Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:32 pm

floofychan333 wrote:
Who's voicing Frieza in this one? Also, Sean's voice is somewhat mediocre but the music is even worse. It's devoid of all emotion and literally just noise.
Linda young I assume you grew up with greg Ayers frieza but the topic is about Jap voice actors so in my wokamoto cell in Kai was awful and kaio in DB super was unpleasant and is sad to see his voice actors retired and lastly horikawa in some scene in Kai and super sounds off

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:30 pm

Yanami's Kaio in Super was disheartening to hear. It's one of the few times I've truly felt a dissonance between how much emotion the character is supposed to show and how much the voice emotes. The voice "not filling the character", if you will. I also thought he slurred his words a little bit as opposed to the clearer diction he used to have, but that may just be me.

I understand that he was old, and attached to the role, but certain requirements should be met, and if they ended up replacing him anyway (it's supposed to be temporary, isn't it?) they could have done it since the very beginning of Super.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:59 pm

The gr wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:
Linda young I assume you grew up with greg Ayers frieza but the topic is about Jap voice actors so in my wokamoto cell in Kai was awful and kaio in DB super was unpleasant and is sad to see his voice actors retired and lastly horikawa in some scene in Kai and super sounds off
I didn't grow up watching DBZ. I happened to stumble upon the original series a couple years ago, and Linda Young was voicing Frieza when I watched that arc. I just asked who the VA was because it sounded way to masculine to be Linda.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:00 pm

I don't know Japanese, & so it's difficult for me to tell, but...as an analogy, I'd compare it to a similar AAA American production from the 80's/90's, such as, say, the DCAU, Batman/Superman TAS & Justice League. There's probably a small flaw in the production here & there, but in general it's taken very seriously & they have a ton of money relative to the usual size of productions of this nature. I also hear stuff like "Japanese voice actors are so much better!" but it's in context of "at performing in the styles common to Japanese media!"...to which I say "Well, duh.., if you're using "fitting to the cultural norms of the setting" as your metric for quality. One thing to note is that there is more of a "voice-over only" pool in Japan, at least for story-based stuff, than there is here. Most VAs that I've noticed are those that are doing it on the side, & really prefer live-action in general. VO doesnt pay quite as well (& dubs pay almost nothing comparatively), it pays like being a live-action extra, & IIRC Diedrich Bader mentioned that "even though he prefers doing VO, he can't just quit live-action, because he wouldn't be able to live off just that". There are tons of VAs that do commercial/promo/audiobook/etc alongside cartoons/games to make a living, & those are the "only VO" folks.

There are a few people I've noticed that are like that in Japan - Yuji Kishi (Crunch Bandicoot) in Kamen Rider stuff, off TOMH. But, while Disney may bring in mostly live-actors for big series, Shueisha or Toei generally seem to go for people like Otsuka/Yamadera/Nozawa/etc, who only do voice-overs, rather than "small TV actors doing it on the side for a paycheck". Also, something unfortunate is that Western cartoons will replace VAs with celebrities, if it's a big-budget movie, oftentimes. Spongebob, Transformers, Simpsons, a few others, IIRC, didnt do it. But it's something Westerners tend to do more. This is all just my two cents on English vs Japanese VO.The real key to remember is that dubs, especially Toei dubs, generally arent representative of a good comparison of English vs Japanese VO. Toei especially does it as cheap as possible.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:13 am

Ajay wrote:Hrm, I'm not sure I have a good enough memory to conjure any examples from the older series, but I think Horikawa's 'My Bulma' moment in Super was pretty bad.
That's just laughably bad on so many levels. Couldn't even watch it on the first try

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:39 am

Yeah, I agree with Ajay that Vegeta's "rage" moment in Super was laughably bad. There are also times where Nozawa's voice as Goku in Super annoys me, especially this scene at 1:52 But I don't remember or notice any terrible voice acting in the original DBZ, at least the Japanese version. The English version however is downright atrocious and I'm honestly baffled at the people who actually think this is superior to English Kai. I think this video sums up pretty well how much of a shitstain the original dub of Z was
Last edited by Freeza9000 on Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:45 am

Freeza9000 wrote:Yeah, I agree with Ajay that Vegeta's "rage" moment in Super was laughably bad. There are also times where Nozawa's voice as Goku in Super annoys me, especially this scene at 1:52
I'm 13 seconds in and Beerus's voice actor is literally Cell in disguise, his just ss~oo good. He sounds particularly threatening, and intimidating here. Also I feel terrible for Monaka. But yeah that one Goku moment is terrible

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:23 am

For whatever reason, I can't stand Dende's voice in the Buu arc, especially when he screams. Also Yajirobe in Super is very weird like some have already said. I don't blame Horikawa for that "My Bulma!" moment in Super because it's mostly the storyboarding that ruins it. He HAD to ham it up to the extreme.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:32 am

Are we really qualified to determine if there was ever bad voice acting in the Japanese version? I feel that unless you know Japanese, you don't know whether proper tones, emotions, or projection were used. Unless we actually understand how Japanese people speak, the only thing that we have to judge is the voice -- which is completely subjective.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:34 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:Are we really qualified to determine if there was ever bad voice acting in the Japanese version? I feel that unless you know Japanese, you don't know whether proper tones, emotions, or projection were used. Unless we actually understand how Japanese people speak, the only thing that we have to judge is the voice -- which is completely subjective.
"Tones, emotion, and projection" are literally the things that come through even when you don't know the language.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:55 am

Does Freeza's laughter not matching the lip-flaps after he kills Kuririn has to be an example of "bad voice acting"?
If yes, then that's one for a start.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.