About the 'coverstory' for planet Vegeta's end

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Terra-jin
Regular

About the 'coverstory' for planet Vegeta's end

Post by Terra-jin » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:08 pm

It is stated in your inconsistencies page that Kaio should have known Freeza was behind the planet's end instead of a god. However, I always figured that Kaio-sama told the story that way to keep Goku from getting involved with Freeza.

In this case, it wouldn't be an inconsistency; Kaio-sama deliberately told Goku the same story that Freeza told the Saiyans about their planet. Of course, Freeza wouldn't know about 'gods', but Kaio-sama probably used that excuse in his story to make it sound plausible to Goku.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:10 pm

That's actually a pretty good excuse - but an excuse nonetheless.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:15 pm

I think that's just reading too much into it. It's blatantly obvious and proven that it was filler material created exclusively for the TV series, and Toriyama decided to just completely ignore it and go with his own story (it wouldn't be the first... or last... time).

Also, Kaio-sama doesn't flat-out lie to Goku about anything. He'll tell him to stay away from things, but he won't lie.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:09 pm

Meh. It's filler. It's inconsistent. Big deal. Toriyama chose to ignore that in making his own story of what happened. Nowadays I choose to ignore that portion of that episode unless I'm up for some nolstalgia.

I will tell you one thing, though: When I learned what really happened to planet Vegeta after being under the impression that their God was responsible for the destruction of the planet it made for some great shock value!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:29 pm

Aren't there a couple of threads open on this topic already?
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

BoxerGloves
Beyond Newbie

Post by BoxerGloves » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:21 pm

Personally, the idea of Saiyans being exterminated and having their planet wiped out, because they were punished by their own God for their evil deeds seems much legitemate to me, than say Freeza blowing up their planet just because he was a paranoid freak. Also considering the fact that Freeza is one of the most defamed villains in DBZ history (being hacked into two by his own laser disc, then brutally incinerated by Goku's blast, "revived" as a cyborg, just to become Trunks' target practice), when compared to villains that appear later on, such as Cell and Majin Boo, he's just a joke. If anything, that is.
Last edited by BoxerGloves on Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:18 am

That's the thing, though. Freeza was the most feared being at the time. Absolutely no one was really capable of beating him until Goku became a Super Saiyan. Even after being healed from the beating his body took from Vegeta while Ginyu was controlling it, Goku was still not a match for Freeza.

Then once the Super Saiyan defeated him, even Freeza himself was enraged at the idea that someone other than his father was stronger than himself. And that very thing was what he was trying to avoid from the very begining.

The very idea of a God of Planet Vegeta seems very illogical as said God would have annihilated the Saiyans when they killed off the Tsufuruan race or had done away with them early, had he been an appointed God like Kami-sama.

Toei was simply trying to explain the whole meteor colliding into Planet Vegeta story before Toriyama went into revealing that it was Freeza who did it.

Besides, it made more sense for Freeza to try elimanating the Saiyan race due to the fact that they are a bigger problem in greater numbers and there was the chance of a Super Saiyan rising up. Especially with the way how King Vegeta attempted to overthrow Freeza due to him becoming intollerant of Freeza simply using him and his people for his own cause.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:52 am

Kendamu wrote:I will tell you one thing, though: When I learned what really happened to planet Vegeta after being under the impression that their God was responsible for the destruction of the planet it made for some great shock value!
I've got to agree with you on that.

Sometimes, I think the filler's explanation may have influenced Mr. Toriyama's decision to have Frieza destroy the planet. He was probably like... "Hmmm. Maybe, I can surprise my fans by revealing something more evil and sinister. The filler's story was rubbish. I could have a horrible alien monster destroy the planet. Yeah! How about... 'Frieza?' That sounds good. He can be the one who destroys the planet."

Hey, it's possible y'know. :) As you guys said on the podcast, "we're on uncharted territory" with Dragonball. Mr. Toriyama just made it up as he went along... :P

I wish he'd continue the story. :cry:
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

Vhanos
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vhanos » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:28 am

BoxerGloves wrote:Personally, the idea of Saiyans being exterminated and having their planet wiped out, because they were punished by their own God for their evil deeds seems much legitemate to me, than say Freeza blowing up their planet just because he was a paranoid freak. Also considering the fact that Freeza is one of the most defamed villains in DBZ history (being hacked into half by his own laser disc, then brutally incinerated by Goku's blast, "revived" as a cyborg, just to become Trunks' target practice), when compared to villains that appear later on, such as Cell and Majin Boo, he's just a joke. If anything, that is.
Well I think a ruthless tyrant trying to get rid of a race that was on the rise in power had more detail than a god wiping out a race just for being barbaric.

Frieza's defeat by Trunks slicing him in half was cool. I thought it was a cool way for him to die the way he did. Cell and Buu were humiliated too when they were losing.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:56 am

Steven Perry wrote:
Kendamu wrote:I will tell you one thing, though: When I learned what really happened to planet Vegeta after being under the impression that their God was responsible for the destruction of the planet it made for some great shock value!
I've got to agree with you on that.

Sometimes, I think the filler's explanation may have influenced Mr. Toriyama's decision to have Freeza destroy the planet. He was probably like... "Hmmm. Maybe, I can surprise my fans by revealing something more evil and sinister. The filler's story was rubbish. I could have a horrible alien monster destroy the planet. Yeah! How about... 'Freeza?' That sounds good. He can be the one who destroys the planet."

Hey, it's possible y'know. :) As you guys said on the podcast, "we're on uncharted territory" with Dragonball. Mr. Toriyama just made it up as he went along... :P

I wish he'd continue the story. :cry:
Well, was the "Frieza destroyed Planet Vegeta" explination published in the manga yet when the filler episode was aired?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:55 pm

My personal belief is that the anime team made Kaio forget. Like how they made us forget the Garlic Jr saga.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:58 pm

http://www.daizex.com/guides/filler/inc ... html[quote]CONFLICT: In Episode 20 of Dragon Ball Z, Kaiô-sama tells a story about Planet Vegeta, stating that its destruction was caused by the planet's god bringing down a meteor shower upon it.

FACTS: That story only appears in the anime. Raditz does tell us in Chapter 197 of the manga that Planet Vegeta was destroyed by meteors. He says the same in Episode 2 of Dragon Ball Z. Apparently, this is what the surviving Saiyans were led to believe. It is later revealed by Dodoria that Freeza was the actual cause of the planet's destruction, in Chapter 257 of the manga, and in Episode 49 of Dragon Ball Z. There has been no evidence to indicate that Freeza was considered to be any sort of "god" for Planet Vegeta. Additionally, Kaiô-sama is shown to be well aware of Freeza and his incredible destructive power, and likely would not confuse him for an angry god.[/quote]

http://www.daizex.com/guides/manga/manga_reference.html
Chapter 257 was released on 15 July 1990.

I can't seem to find exactly when episode 20 aired - other than '1990'.

Alucard
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Alucard » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:21 pm

desirecampbell wrote:I can't seem to find exactly when episode 20 aired - other than '1990'.
Episode 20 was aired on September 20, 1989.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:48 pm

I thought the whole point of Kaiou's story was that the planet was destroyed in a meteor shower, and that his mention of the Kami was just a mythical way of explaining it. I don't think that story contradicts anything we hear later in the series, except for possibly Kaio-sama's knowledge of Freeza.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:53 pm

MyVisionity wrote:I thought the whole point of Kaiou's story was that the planet was destroyed in a meteor shower, and that his mention of the Kami was just a mythical way of explaining it. I don't think that story contradicts anything we hear later in the series, except for possibly Kaio-sama's knowledge of Freeza.
Oh it does. Kaio-sama clearly says that the God of the planet wiped it out by summoning a meteor to come and destroy the planet. We later on see that that was no God and that was no meteor. >__>;
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:48 pm

I don't see any inconsistency if you assume that Kaio deliberately told Goku the meteor story to hide the truth. There's nothing to indicate that he didn't know what really happened.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:18 pm

Tsukento wrote: We later on see that that was no God and that was no meteor. >__>;
It was a space station!

Oh, c'mon! You all know you were thinking it, too!

Um... er... yeah.

[/pathetic attempt at funny]

P.S. - Arizona is still way too hot. I'd rather be in Room 29 it's so bad.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:44 am

Why does anyone want to "explain" or "justify" Kaio's story?

It was filler. It didn't make sense. It was contradicted. Accept it, move on.

There's nothing wrong with just letting it go.

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:15 pm

There are two ways of looking at it. Either Kaio deliberately lied to Goku, or he himself didn't know that Freeza was the one that destroyed the planet (though this is unlikely.)

Vhanos
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vhanos » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:55 am

Yeah, it was filler. Contradicted itself. All it does is make King Kai not look as smart as he makes himself look. Most gods are supposed to be omniscient.